PDA

View Full Version : AI slows down when leading a race

Shnoo80
23-01-2019, 08:29
Hi there,

I haven't played the game for half a year and I returned to playing recently. Last time I was doing full 24h Le Mans and I remember the issue that when AI was leading a race, this first car started to do significant slower lap times (1-1.5 sec slower). Other AI cars were catching him up and they were all driving this slower pace. And when I passed them, there was no AI leader, so they speeded up the pace again.

Now I returned to my career, first race of GT3. Oulton park, AI difficulty: 100/100.
And the story is the same again. When AI leads, it does around 1:36.5. When I pass them and lead a race, AI does 1:35.5. Do you have the same experience?

REXPITVIPER1
23-01-2019, 08:35
Project CARS 2 AI doesn't use the same physics as the Player which is a massive downside. that's why AI pit later than you do, that's why AI doesn't experience the same anything as you do, this is also why the AI get's a massive boost of speed down a straight even though they reached the top of their gears.

Bealdor
23-01-2019, 08:39
this is also why the AI get's a massive boost of speed down a straight even though they reached the top of their gears.

No they don't. They are limited by their gear ratio just as the player is. No magical over-revving involved.

Stewy32
23-01-2019, 08:43
I don't recall having this as an issue, but I might not have noticed, I don't usually lead.

Stewy32
23-01-2019, 08:44
Project CARS 2 AI doesn't use the same physics as the Player which is a massive downside. that's why AI pit later than you do, that's why AI doesn't experience the same anything as you do, this is also why the AI get's a massive boost of speed down a straight even though they reached the top of their gears.

The AI often pit earlier than me, I have had several races where I have done 0 stops and the AI have done 1.

Keena
23-01-2019, 08:55
Project CARS 2 AI doesn't use the same physics as the Player which is a massive downside. that's why AI pit later than you do, that's why AI doesn't experience the same anything as you do..

Yes, I think its beyond question that this has caused numerous issues that have degraded the experience. Ian Bell has said as much in his recent comments.

"I'll let you know that pCARS3 will be more 'focused'... More 'fun'... We went to insane lengths with variation in pCARS2 and with that comes infinite balancing issues. We've learned a lesson here and although we have no intention of reducing content, we know what we need to fix, where we made design decisions that were, let's call it, 'sub-optimal'..."

REXPITVIPER1
23-01-2019, 10:23
No they don't. They are limited by their gear ratio just as the player is. No magical over-revving involved.

weird, could have sworn that the AI do get a massive draft boost and massive acceleration boost in some cars, but in some cars they're too slow. especially at high skill levels like 99 to 120.

REXPITVIPER1
23-01-2019, 10:27
The AI often pit earlier than me, I have had several races where I have done 0 stops and the AI have done 1.

what races are you doing? during raining weather on PCARS 2 it's easier to spot, the AI won't pit when it starts raining rather they'll pit once the track is fully soaked.. and the AI in this game is not as Dynamic nor as crashy as I want them to be.

REXPITVIPER1
23-01-2019, 10:27
Yes, I think its beyond question that this has caused numerous issues that have degraded the experience. Ian Bell has said as much in his recent comments.

"I'll let you know that pCARS3 will be more 'focused'... More 'fun'... We went to insane lengths with variation in pCARS2 and with that comes infinite balancing issues. We've learned a lesson here and although we have no intention of reducing content, we know what we need to fix, where we made design decisions that were, let's call it, 'sub-optimal'..."

thanks for the information.

Shnoo80
23-01-2019, 12:07
AI behaving bad in different conditions is one thing. But slowing down when leading a race is strange, because track conditions don't change

Zaskarspants
23-01-2019, 12:24
The AI act act independently and stochastically within the limits of aggression and ability defined by the user. Their performance in a particular race is affected by your performance and the dynamics of the event so race to race variation should be expected. In my experience you can expect a one to two second variation when repeating a race.

Keena
23-01-2019, 12:55
The AI act act independently and stochastically within the limits of aggression and ability defined by the user. Their performance in a particular race is affected by your performance and the dynamics of the event so race to race variation should be expected. In my experience you can expect a one to two second variation when repeating a race.

I can agree with the accuracy of this statement. The aggression slider has an effect on pace as can be easily demonstrated by running a few quick races where the only variable that changes is the aggression slider. In fact I used to use it to fine tune AI pace in career mode at the start before I got fed up with all the tweaking and just set it to 100% (any higher and the AI get horsepower boosts which make different circuits inconsistent based on their power dependency characteristics).

Keena
23-01-2019, 12:56

Doesn't this depend on the difficulty? Over 100% I was led to understand that they do in fact get a HP boost?

Bealdor
23-01-2019, 13:08
Doesn't this depend on the difficulty? Over 100% I was led to understand that they do in fact get a HP boost?

Yeah but they're still limited by their gearbox setup.

Keena
23-01-2019, 13:15
Yeah but they're still limited by their gearbox setup.

Ahh ok, good to know. Do they ever choose a setup which limits them to the rev limiter/running out of gears? I had serious issues at Algarve in Formula Rookie with this issue. The AI were coming steaming out of the final turn with that extra horsepower and different tyre physics, overtaking me on the straight then I would pass them in the twisty back section where carrying momentum through the corners meaning more than power favoured me, rinse and repeat for 10 laps. Then the next circuit with different characteristics requiring less power meant that they were again wildly off the pace.. it started to feel like a multiclass championship :( Once I just set it at 100% and left it then the game started to be a least consistent in terms of AI power output. Im definitely curious about their setup choice parameters though- how they work, are selected etc..

Bealdor
23-01-2019, 13:22
Im definitely curious about their setup choice parameters though- how they work, are selected etc..

0-80%: Default setup, default HP
>80-100%: Custom setup (the closer too 100% you get, the better their setup will be), default HP
>100-120%: 100% Custom setup, increased HP

Their main dials are gearing and downforce IIRC. Not sure about suspension.

Keena
23-01-2019, 13:24
Sweet. Thanks dude.

Shnoo80
23-01-2019, 13:39

But my 1-1.5 sex variation happens in the same race.
When I am leading, paces of AI is 1:35.5
When I drop to lower place in the sme race, AI does 1:36.5-1:37.
When I pass leader and I am in front, AI accelerate to 1:35.5.

It ONLY depends on whether I or AI is race leader.

Bealdor
23-01-2019, 13:55
But my 1-1.5 sex variation happens in the same race.

And the Auto-Correct Fail Award of the month goes to...

:p

Shnoo80
23-01-2019, 13:56
And the Auto-Correct Fail Award of the month goes to...

:p

Hahaha true :)

Ixoye56
23-01-2019, 14:32
0-80%: Default setup, default HP
>80-100%: Custom setup (the closer too 100% you get, the better their setup will be), default HP

Their main dials are gearing and downforce IIRC. Not sure about suspension.

Will AI get increased HP at 100% settings then? Should I set difficulty to 99% to avoid AI to get Increased HP?

Bealdor
23-01-2019, 14:44
Will AI get increased HP at 100% settings then? Should I set difficulty to 99% to avoid AI to get Increased HP?

Take a closer look please:

;)

Mahjik
23-01-2019, 15:00
I'll see if I can find the discussion, but I seem to recall this discussion in WMD and that it is a "thing". i.e. a car running very far out in front will not run as hard to simulate a driver "saving" his car. Probably what is lacking is the AI picking the pace back up as the human player (or another car) closes the gap.

Stewy32
23-01-2019, 17:39
what races are you doing? during raining weather on PCARS 2 it's easier to spot, the AI won't pit when it starts raining rather they'll pit once the track is fully soaked.. and the AI in this game is not as Dynamic nor as crashy as I want them to be.

Try 7 laps of Le Mans in LMP1 cars, as an example.

REXPITVIPER1
23-01-2019, 21:19
Try 7 laps of Le Mans in LMP1 cars, as an example.

alright.