PDA

View Full Version : Can't monetize Stream? SMS included copyrighted background music?

Greylock
24-01-2019, 11:49
Good morning SlightlyMad Studios,

I'm new to PC2 and streamed my first play-through last night, and now I'm slightly upset.

This morning I found that some menu background music has made my video ineligible for monetization?

CONTENT CLAIMANT POLICY Music composition
1:07:13 - 1:10:00 Duffnote Monetized by copyright owner BMW THE LONG ROAD

Very disappointed SlightlyMad Studios. Why would you include Duffnote's music in the game if it's going to make it impossible to make money streaming your game?

I've streamed hundreds of games, and 99.9% don't file a claim on YouTube on the "in game menu music" because they actually WANT people sharing their in-game experiences.

Going forward I'll have to play PC2 with the music turned completely off to avoid having my meager streaming income stolen because some random track I never asked to play in the background in the menu isn't suitable for streaming.

Sad :-(

Invincible
24-01-2019, 11:55
All the music in the game is from Dr. Stephen Baysted. Also "The long Road" which was initially composed for SMS's BMW M3 Challenge-Game.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUstikBrCiiz_JGSbPR3nOA

Nathan Bell
30-01-2019, 20:58
I'll pass this on to the team. All our music has been produced in-house. We are not behind any of these claims. Will investigate.

inthebagbud
31-01-2019, 08:54
Even if SMS had copyrighted music is it not a bit rich complaing about not being able to use somebody elses product to make money for yourself. Presume you would pay royalties to SMS for using their product and music !

Or as a non streamer am I missing something here

FxUK
31-01-2019, 12:43
Good morning SlightlyMad Studios,
.....I'll have to play PC2 with the music turned completely off to avoid having my meager streaming income stolen because some random track I never asked to play in the background in the menu isn't suitable for streaming.

Sad :-(

WOW, such entitlement.

Charger
31-01-2019, 13:19
This is why my mind boggles at some streamers, some think they are superstars, it's just Youtube mate, get over yourself ;-)

cluck
31-01-2019, 13:27
Maybe the OP's wording wasn't ideal (with regards the 'stolen' part) but he/she has a valid concern and it appears to be one that SMS are now looking into, as it apparently shouldn't have happened. They're not profiting off the music itself, remember, that just happened to be playing whilst the OP was streaming, leading to the de-monetization by the looks of it.

TorTorden
31-01-2019, 13:49
Simple solution.

Turn the music off in game.

Nathan Bell
13-02-2019, 13:28
Simple solution.

Turn the music off in game.

That's the solution for now.