PDA

View Full Version : Low grip on hard tires during race

barrad0s
03-02-2019, 15:26
Hello everyone, this happens to me all the time, just happened now again, and I wanted to see if someone could help me.
On an online race, I qualified in second, 0.1 behind the leader, on soft tires.
Whenever the race is quick, or low temps, I run on soft tires and can keep up pace, normally.
For this race for example, summer, fuji, summer, 14 laps, I decided to go with hard tires (GTE).
This is a constant for me. Whenever I choose hard tires, I have extremely low grip. First and third place (I finished second), ran on hard tires too, but had almost a second on me per lap, as I struggled not to let the car spin.
I did see that the tires were not as hot as I wished they were, but the other 2, 1st and 3rd (3rd was 2nd but spun out) both raced on hards.
What can I do to improve grip, do I need to change the setup off the car? This is a constant for me on hard tires, any track temp, just can't get same grip.
Thanks.

cpcdem
03-02-2019, 15:51
About tire temps, I think there's not much you can do (well, apart from driving more aggressively, but in this huge straight you will lose temp no matter what...). But what about tire pressures? Could it be they were too high or too low?

barrad0s
03-02-2019, 16:07
About tire temps, I think there's not much you can do (well, apart from driving more aggressively, but in this huge straight you will lose temp no matter what...). But what about tire pressures? Could it be they were too high or too low?

Well I guess, other than changing wings, I really don't know much about setting up cars. When changing from soft to hard tires, is that something, or one of the things that should be changed as well?

Mahjik
03-02-2019, 16:42
What cold/starting tire pressures are you using and what are the tire pressures when hot during the race?

barrad0s
03-02-2019, 17:24
What cold/starting tire pressures are you using and what are the tire pressures when hot during the race?

Everything default form stable setup

blinkngone
03-02-2019, 18:09
You did not say which GTE so I picked the C7.R. Your target tire pressures for optimum grip is 1.8 Bar or 26.1 PSI.
This is your first setup page from the tuning menu. Using Stable setup. Your brake ducts are at 75% and your tire pressures are Default.
These are your tire temps and pressures when you get manual control.
These are your tire temps and pressures after completing just one lap.
As you can see your pressures are too high after just 1 lap. You need to adjust these. Start with just reducing the tires pressures. Run a few laps and re-adjust. Eventually you will need to use your brake ducts to help control your pressures during longer runs.

barrad0s
03-02-2019, 18:19
You did not say which GTE so I picked the C7.R. Your target tire pressures for optimum grip is 1.8 Bar or 26.1 PSI.

This is great, thank you. Is 26.1 optimum to the car, class, or general? I was driving the corvette btw.

blinkngone
03-02-2019, 18:25
This is great, thank you. Is 26.1 optimum to the car, class, or general? I was driving the corvette btw.

It's here in the Tyre Pressure "Sticky" in the Gray Section at the top of the page.:) http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?57541-Project-CARS-2-Tyre-Pressures

Also check out the other "Stickies".:)

blinkngone
03-02-2019, 18:37
Ok, you also need to look at your brake temperatures as well. Notice the fronts are at 1,000 and the rears are at 770. This could indicate your rear brake ducts at 75% are opened too much. Now if you were to close these it would cause your rear tire pressure to go even higher. You need to work at balancing these. The brakes transfer heat into the wheel which increases tire pressure. If you change your brake balance because you are locking the rears(GTEs don't have ABS) and go to 63/37 this will transfer more heat to your front wheels and you will have to adjust ducts and pressures. So, one of the important steps is to figure out what you want for brake balance before you get all your pressures and ducts adjusted then you go and change your balance and mess everything up.

Can of worms opened.:D

cpcdem
03-02-2019, 23:12
To get an idea, what lap times were you and the other guys doing?

Abba Toutuvelle
20-02-2019, 20:06
Howdy - i too have this issue with tire temps cooling down too much. I set the ducts at 45-55%, but will try them at 25% to start and see if that helps. I've also lowered the tire pressures by at least a pound, but that is no help.

Additionally, the default setting for tire compound is Automatic by Weather, so can't switch between hard and soft slicks - this may be a car class thing?

It appears that SMS may have gone overboard since back in 2015 some folks tires were overheating! Now, it is like rolling on ice cubes and sliding around, very frustrating! :mad:

See you guys at the IRL events, soon! :p

AJD1984
11-03-2019, 21:11
Hi Drivers,

Just keep an eye on the Track Temperature as the Harder tyres will struggle with lower track temps and lower deg. If you work (lean) on the tyre more, Snetterton for example - where the left side of the car gets worked hard, you don't need a high track temp for the tyres to hit optimal range. As much as closing the brake ducts increases tyre pressure - it struggles with heat generation, the only other thing you can do is adjust the toe, lowering the pressures will make a VERY small difference and you want to hit your 1.80 bar or 26.1 psi mark (for GT cars as an example) to get optimal lap time.