PDA

View Full Version : Brake types for cars in PC2

Rameses
06-02-2019, 12:32
Does anybody know if there is a list or reference to show what brake types (carbon disc / steel disc / vintage drum) are on/programmed for each car in PC2?

Apologies if this has been covered or answered elsewhere, Iíve searched through the forums and without sounding like a U2 Tom Tom I still canít find what Iím looking for. Iíve found summaries for groups but itís not clear whether all cars in those groups have the same type of brake disc, for example GT1, Group C1 etc. External reference searches are sometimes conflicting or donít have the information needed.

If anyone can post a link or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Maskmagog
06-02-2019, 14:33
Yeah, I would have liked to see more info like this in-game. Would have been great with a short info page for each car.

blinkngone
06-02-2019, 18:33
Yeah I would like to know as well. I see some people in youtube videos running GT3s at mid 300C between corners which is below the minimum operating temperature for iron brakes and they barely go more than yellow at maximum braking events. Stainless, Carbon/Ceramic and Carbon all have higher min/max operating ranges. With the Vintage Mustang RTR the Engineer is screaming brake temp problems which is why I pick the Group 44 Jaguar to shut him up. As you mentioned, same class but big differences in brakes.

cpcdem
06-02-2019, 18:47
Yeah I would like to know as well. I see some people in youtube videos running GT3s at mid 300C between corners which is below the minimum operating temperature for iron brakes and they barely go more than yellow at maximum braking events. Stainless, Carbon/Ceramic and Carbon all have higher min/max operating ranges. With the Vintage Mustang RTR the Engineer is screaming brake temp problems which is why I pick the Group 44 Jaguar to shut him up. As you mentioned, same class but big differences in brakes.

Actually in PCARS2 you can brake in GT3s with brakes even below 100C and they are just fine, they do not lose braking power, as they used to in PCARS1. Same for TC cars etc. But when they overheat, then braking distances do increase a lot indeed.

blinkngone
06-02-2019, 19:04
Below 100C how? In TT at manual control it is this. The only time I see this low temp is pit out in Private Practice. Oh well, I thought TT started you with "Optimum" brake temperatures which would be closer to 500 C, not overheated brakes.

No braking after 4 minutes.
After 1 lap trying to just ease on the brakes.

cpcdem
06-02-2019, 19:23
Below 100C how? In TT at manual control it is this. The only time I see this low temp is pit out in Private Practice. Oh well, I thought TT started you with "Optimum" brake temperatures which would be closer to 500 C, not overheated brakes.

Also in quali sessions, you start with cold brakes and tires. And in some tracks (like 24h Le Mans), because of the very long straights, brakes remain cold for the most part. Never had a need to close ducts, in order to make brakes maintain some heat, they perform well even when cold.

Bealdor
07-02-2019, 08:59
Actually in PCARS2 you can brake in GT3s with brakes even below 100C and they are just fine, they do not lose braking power, as they used to in PCARS1. Same for TC cars etc. But when they overheat, then braking distances do increase a lot indeed.

Iron brakes are working fine from ambient temp to ~700įC. They don't lose much performance when they're cold. Carbon brakes on the other hand are all over the place until you heat them up properly.

David Wright
07-02-2019, 12:43
For those interested in he technical side of things, the link shows how brake friction co-efficient varies with temperature for various Ferodo racing pads.

https://www.ferodoracing.com/products/car-racing/racing-brake-pads/ds3-12/

The co-efficient of some pads does vary a fair bit with temperature, while others have a pretty flat curve working well even at 150 C. It is perhaps worth remembering that even if you start braking with your brakes at 100 C they won't stay at 100 C for long.