PDA

View Full Version : How to get Faster

Cbrriderr
12-02-2019, 08:32
im doing the SMS-R Challange . currently I am stuck in the 1:32 lap times.
so how can I get faster if I cannot change the car setup? this means I must change my driving. i have turned over 100 laps and still in high 132's what can I do so improve?

inthebagbud
12-02-2019, 13:11
If you are a fixed setup the main factor is speed going in to corner, we all have that tendency to go fast , hard brake and try and make it round the corner. Braking earlier and making sure you are on the gas entering the corner ( in a controlled way) helps massively .

Its amazing how much time you will pick up using the slow in fast out rule - not saying we are all good at it as human nature sometimes kicks in but it works - i have taken upwards of a second of what are good lap times to me by just slowing down and once you have done it you will remember the braking points and only get better and laps times will fall

The othe rthing i did was turn down the tyre volume as i found this not representative of actual "slipping" and it affected my braking input

Good luck

OH and dont always follow ghosts - they are good to give a general indication, however they can be distarcting and Im not sure the brake/acceleration points are 100% spot on - it is a reply after all

Twinz
12-02-2019, 14:05
Re: ghosts

I use them to visually quantify my inputs. If the ghost puts a couple car-lengths on me at a given turn, I immediately know that what I am doing *in that spot* is not getting the job done and can zero in on why, then try to fix my approach.

Likewise, if I do something that puts more space on the ghost, I want to "polish" that approach and make it more repeatable.

I compete IRL and even run data to try and find every little piece of time I can, but ghosts give me a better understanding of costs and benefits with respect to certain techniques.

Two things I have transfered from the sim to RL:

1)Overslowing can be difficult to perceive. (For me) I am a natural overdriver, so staying "on line" has been my primary indicator of proper speed. But after a decade of training myself not to overdrive, the pendulum has swung slightly to the other side. I now have a tendency to be 100% sure I can hit an apex before searching g for the throttle. I need to get back to having just a *little* doubt. When I'm 100% certain, I am leaving some time on the table.

2)Just because you can't use full throttle yet, doesn't mean you can't feed in *some* throttle. I picked up a couple tenths on one time trial by feeding in ~5%-10% throttle in a tight turn. The radius was increasing ever so slightly and I was just waiting. Also, the "pre-throttle" approach sort of primes the contact patches for when I do roll into full throttle and manages traction better.

Now, if you see the ghost ahead of you and it makes you just "push harder", that can have bad results. (Particularly for an overdriver like myself). When I catch myself doing that, I just take a break and come back to it later.

cpcdem
12-02-2019, 16:15
I have already given you some suggestions here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?66103-driving-guide-for-FWD-merc-srs&p=1559385&viewfull=1#post1559385
I did follow your ghost before giving that advice...

cpcdem
13-02-2019, 06:42
This conversation triggered me to write a program for analyzing time trial laps, braking and acceleration points, corner entry and exit speeds. Here's a first result, comparing the top time from this combo in time trial (1:29.2 by Mr. Van Ommen) with the one I did myself, around a second slower than him. He's the green line, my TT is the blue one. Red are drawn parts of the lap where speed does not increase (so braking or coasting). I think this is helpful to see where he gains time, in some corners the difference of exit speeds is quite large so I need to work on those mainly.

If people like it, I will make this tool available when it's more polished, but needs a lot of work, so it will take some time. In the meantime, Cbrriderr if you 'd like I can post a similar pic for your lap, to see where and how you need to improve. Same goes for anybody else (PC platform) who'd like to have this for their TT lap here or in any other combo.

Cbrriderr
13-02-2019, 08:08
thank you for help,
cpc i justb read ur reply. will try moving BB rear. actually in loose setup BB is at 52, in normal set its 60.

Cbrriderr
13-02-2019, 08:23
where can dl this lap software,
how can i get this pic of my lap?

cpcdem
13-02-2019, 14:34
where can dl this lap software,
how can i get this pic of my lap?

Can't buy it yet, it's still less than 1 days old :), very crude and with almost non-existent user interface! I don't plan to make it commercial though, when it is finished I'll make it available for free. For now I can prepare a pic for you and post it, do you want your lap alone, or compared with another (the top?) guy? I will post it here, but if you want it privately, please send me a message at cpcdem(at)protonmail(dot)com and I'll send it to you by email instead.

Cbrriderr
14-02-2019, 09:16
both plz thank you

cpcdem
14-02-2019, 23:31
Here it is, a comparison of your lap (1:31.5 in blue line) in the event with the very best lap so far (Vilalobos' 1:28.5 in green line). I have marked in red the corners where he gets a much better exit speed than you, so those are mainly the ones when you can gain most time. Do not take the speed numbers too literally, they are approximations, but they are helpful for comparison.

Here is also your (blue) racing lines comparison to the top time (in red). In general I think your lines are fine, only in a few places he uses a wider line (full track width) which helps him carry more speed:

blinkngone
14-02-2019, 23:41
Really great work cpcdem. Thank you. Vilal0bos sector 1 time 34.473, cbrrider's 35.880.

Cbrriderr
16-02-2019, 09:39
thank you. awesome, but i think im out , there is no way ill make the top 5 to continue.

cpcdem
16-02-2019, 16:50
thank you. awesome, but i think im out , there is no way ill make the top 5 to continue.

I think it's top 8. And then, there's the second event, another 8 can make it there, and the top 8 from the first event are excluded. Another 8 for the 3rd event and another 7 from the 4th, so in total 31 people. This is feasible to make it in there, although yes, in the qualifying race afterwards, we will be annihilated by the aliens :)

Cbrriderr
17-02-2019, 09:25
I think my Gap at moment is close to 3sec. this is a lot of time on a short track like this. i just cannot believe how far behind I am . I dont get how faster drivers pull away on the 2nd half of the track

cpcdem
17-02-2019, 12:35
I think my Gap at moment is close to 3sec. this is a lot of time on a short track like this. i just cannot believe how far behind I am . I dont get how faster drivers pull away on the 2nd half of the track

Mainly through better exit speeds, that's what the graph I posted was supposed to show. They go back on throttle a lot earlier, while braking and coasting less, so carrying more speed through the corners.

Keena
23-02-2019, 20:50
Can't buy it yet, it's still less than 1 days old :), very crude and with almost non-existent user interface! I don't plan to make it commercial though, when it is finished I'll make it available for free. For now I can prepare a pic for you and post it, do you want your lap alone, or compared with another (the top?) guy? I will post it here, but if you want it privately, please send me a message at cpcdem(at)protonmail(dot)com and I'll send it to you by email instead.

This looks like an epic tool! Very much looking forward to seeing your progress on this mate. Im slowly becoming interested in Timetrial and as you know, I need all the help I can get ;)

cpcdem
24-02-2019, 11:26
This looks like an epic tool! Very much looking forward to seeing your progress on this mate. Im slowly becoming interested in Timetrial and as you know, I need all the help I can get ;)

Thanks! I have not done much more work on it, because it is unfortunately apparently not possible to deduct car speed from the limited TT ghost telemetry info with good accuracy, so this is not really helpful for comparison with ghosts that are just around 0.5 sec per lap faster, and this is the info I was really looking for :). But it can be very helpful for comparisons with ghosts that are a couple seconds faster, both the corner entry/exit comparison and the racing line comparison. Will do some more work on the UI and will send it to you to have a look.

SalvadorAderholt
09-03-2019, 09:23
Try your best.