PDA

View Full Version : Qualifying/TT Setups vs Race Setups

oaksmokedbacon
14-02-2019, 16:07
Hi all

I'm new to the forum so first of all, hello!

I am a decent racer, not the quickest but deffo not the slowest occasionally sneaking a podium and possibly a win every now and again. Given my limited time to mess about tweaking endlessly, like most casual gamers I have dived into the TT setups, found a fast racer who's setup feels good to me and using that. However I have this lingering thought in my mind that, while TT setups are good for TT and a Qualifying run, they might not be the best overall for a race.

Obviously most of the top racers don't share race setups for the Joe public, but I was wondering what changes, if any, should I be considering making to the car for a race setup?

Now in my clans private league, the races are 12-18 laps dependent on track and most publics races are 6-10 lap sprints, so it might be there aren't changes required. However i'd thought I ask if anyone had any thoughts on this.

thanks
oaks.

cpcdem
14-02-2019, 16:14
As Blink says, welcome home! What cars are you running in your league? Setup adjustments depend on that a lot.

oaksmokedbacon
14-02-2019, 16:26
Hi CPCDem, thanks for the welcome!

The main cars raced, and that I rend to race at all are the GT3. MY car of choice at the moment is the NSX GT3. We just get on :)

blinkngone
14-02-2019, 16:39
Hey, welcome home.:) The setups are good for a few laps at the Default date and cloud cover. If your date and weather are much different they won't be as useful. The most obvious change is to make sure the Brake balance is where you run. Next check the Ducts, on most tracks 75% front and 60% rear are good enough to start. The radiator at 40% is pretty good as well. Then check Engine Braking, the fast guys can get by with lower settings so you can maximize this to start and lower it later. Many setups have Fuel set too low, it doesn't matter in TT but you need to set this for how many laps you need to run. Since you have used some TT setups you probably know all this. One of the guys, mojofilter, has used PC TT setups for the Nissan LMP2 with pretty good results and he typically runs Endurance races. I have only used a couple of GT4 setups myself and depending on who and what track it was very useful for a 10 lap Event. In GT3 the top times are generally AOR guys so they don't need a lot of changes to make them fast in GT3. I have mostly seen their races at more than 10 laps. I ran into a Bathurst GT3 race in Custom race where the TT setups were not useful because of the difference in track conditions between TT and the race.

blinkngone
14-02-2019, 16:41
Hi CPCDem, thanks for the welcome!

The main cars raced, and that I rend to race at all are the GT3. MY car of choice at the moment is the NSX GT3. We just get on :)

Well if you've already searched the Leaderboard you know there are few setups for the NSX. especially recent patches.

http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=3270746104&vehicle=3416883430

Suomy is AOR Elite, tried any of his setups? Beniszili, Speeddmon, Adalexis as well. I don't know if Kramarsky is in a league but he is good at Imola, Monza, Algarve but his LSDs are usually locked up.

When I look at TT setups the first thing I check is the Damper page, the reason is that this means they have made some changes to suit their driving. Some only change Bumps stops but others will get into the Slow Bump and Rebound at least on the front.

oaksmokedbacon
14-02-2019, 16:54
Hey, welcome home.:) The setups are good for a few laps at the Default date and cloud cover. If your date and weather are much different they won't be as useful. The most obvious change is to make sure the Brake balance is where you run. Next check the Ducts, on most tracks 75% front and 60% rear are good enough to start. The radiator at 40% is pretty good as well. Then check Engine Braking, the fast guys can get by with lower settings so you can maximize this to start and lower it later. Many setups have Fuel set too low, it doesn't matter in TT but you need to set this for how many laps you need to run. Since you have used some TT setups you probably know all this. One of the guys, mojofilter, has used PC TT setups for the Nissan LMP2 with pretty good results and he typically runs Endurance races. I have only used a couple of GT4 setups myself and depending on who and what track it was very useful for a 10 lap Event. In GT3 the top times are generally AOR guys so they don't need a lot of changes to make them fast in GT3. I have mostly seen their races at more than 10 laps. I ran into a Bathurst GT3 race in Custom race where the TT setups were not useful because for the difference in track conditions between TT and the race.

The basics at the top I've picked up and I understand on a simple level what tweaking the more in-depth settings can do.

From what you are saying the general TT setups, i.e. suspension and damping, ride heights, downforce settings are good as they are for a Race? or are there tweaks here from a TT/Qualy setup to a race setup, e.g. more downforce for example?

Just being aware of outside factors such as track temp etc will change tyre choice, make me look at radiators and brake ducts as they will be cooled more naturally due to the lower air temps.

sorry if Im asking basic questions but i'm curious to if I can gain any more advantage in race trim :)

blinkngone
14-02-2019, 17:18
The basics at the top I've picked up and I understand on a simple level what tweaking the more in-depth settings can do.

From what you are saying the general TT setups, i.e. suspension and damping, ride heights, downforce settings are good as they are for a Race? or are there tweaks here from a TT/Qualy setup to a race setup, e.g. more downforce for example?

Just being aware of outside factors such as track temp etc will change tyre choice, make me look at radiators and brake ducts as they will be cooled more naturally due to the lower air temps.

sorry if Im asking basic questions but i'm curious to if I can gain any more advantage in race trim :)

Most of the time the ride heights are good, no need to change. For Monza you can run low downforce for TT/Qualifying but this won't be any fun in a race or traffic where you come into contact with other cars. So yeah Monza is a track where you should consider testing for downforce in race conditions. The best thing to focus on for your race are your tire pressures and wear.

Have you tried Adalexis Watkins Glen GP setup in a Custom race? He's made Damper adjustments, Engine Braking is maxed, just change Brake balance for how you like it, adjust Brake ducts and Radiator and see what you think. Of course you will need air pressure, 3 clicks up front and 2 rear to start. Meh, I don't know, he has lowered rear ride height, does it scrape for you up the hill?
The guy in first AM tapped me, paid him back later, he ended up 3rd.

oaksmokedbacon
14-02-2019, 17:28
Thank you I’ll have a test around with those thoughts.

On a side note, I wasn’t aware I was 10th in lap times with the NsX on Watkins :D

blinkngone
14-02-2019, 17:57
Thank you I’ll have a test around with those thoughts.

On a side note, I wasn’t aware I was 10th in lap times with the NsX on Watkins :D

Cool, congrats!:D Now you have a direct comparison.

If you watch the TT replays of Adalexis, Suomy and Speeddmon you can see Adalexis sliding the rear on exits, this may be just because he ran with really low tire pressures. He might like sliding, though I don't know if that's a good strategy for a race. He also is running much less rear camber than you or the others.

blinkngone
14-02-2019, 18:41
I have the T Shirt.:)

oaksmokedbacon
14-02-2019, 18:51
I have the T Shirt.:)

rofl thats awesome :)

oaksmokedbacon
14-02-2019, 18:53
so hitting the ground - so an example in my head (although I am quick on this track) is Sakitto. the fast lefthander up the short climb, after going under the bridge is very bumpy, and my revs jump and acceleration pauses slightly at each bump. Is this a sign of the car being slightly too low?

blinkngone
14-02-2019, 19:14
so hitting the ground - so an example in my head (although I am quick on this track) is Sakitto. the fast lefthander up the short climb, after going under the bridge is very bumpy, and my revs jump and acceleration pauses slightly at each bump. Is this a sign of the car being slightly too low?

Well, the top 2 TT runs(Suomy and Kramarsky) have both reduced ride height compared to Default. They are running overall much stiffer rear than Default. What they have done is run lower camber than Default which I would recommend as well because it will also help in the early sections(Sector 2). The only Red I see on the Telemetry HUD is a brief flash right rear as I cross the dip.

Them.
You. Your rear springs are soft, you have taken out the Bump Stops, you have provided a good springy diving board to launch your wheels up into the wheel wells(acceleration pauses slightly).:)
What's up with your camber? Sections of the track are crowned so that high left camber is going to fight your racing line. Sector 2 after the bridge your 4.0 camber is on the inside tire.

oaksmokedbacon
14-02-2019, 20:01
Replying on my phone so excuse typos!

The setup is one taken from the TT leader board. So in essence the suspension needs to be stiffened and the bump stop added.

The camber we being off could explain why I am quick though the esses but lose time to the quicker cars there as well as over that section of sector 2. So lower the camber?

blinkngone
14-02-2019, 20:15
Replying on my phone so excuse typos!

The setup is one taken from the TT leader board. So in essence the suspension needs to be stiffened and the bump stop added.

The camber we being off could explain why I am quick though the esses but lose time to the quicker cars there as well as over that section of sector 2. So lower the camber?

Yeah, I can't find that setup you used at Sakitto. Yes just copy one of the top 2 runs. More rear spring, lower camber, etc..

1st Sector you lose 0.963 seconds to the leaders, Sector 2 0.940 and Sector 3 0.802.

Never mind, I found it, it's Murphy's at #3. I guess it's like cpcdem has said "Even if it was a car with 3 bicycle wheels, somebody (one of the best guys again) would still top the charts anyway." Maybe he(Murphy) was just messing around.

The top 2 runs are similar except for Power Ramp angle, you need to setup the LSD for your driving.

oaksmokedbacon
14-02-2019, 21:25
first of all i'd like that thank you for the in depth analysis. It is far more than I was expecting and much appreciated.

So looking at the post above, the approach would be to try say Suomy's setup see how it fares, then adjust if required. vI shall do that and come back with my thoughts.

blinkngone
14-02-2019, 23:59
Ok, I would go with Suomy's 50 Power ramp angle myself. I have problems with my right foot so a higher Power ramp helps me.
I used Suomy's setup. Never drove this car/track combo before. I changed LSD(reduced clutches to 4), added fuel, opened radiator to 44%. Just took it for a stroll.
Ok, ran a little faster.
Murphy's setup, I don't know how to drive this setup, could be fast for you though, you have been running it for a while.

hkraft300
15-02-2019, 07:12
If you can do consistent lap times with a TT setup, stick with it. What you want to watch for 10+ lap races is the brake ducts, engine ducts and tire pressures. You want the brakes closed enough to reduce drag and have heat in the brakes, but not too hot that it over-inflates the tire pressures. A 5-8 lap run with an eye on your temps should tell you how your car is running. Different tracks and different track temps will affect this. This will greatly maximise your consistency and pace over the course of the race, where others will start to struggle as their brakes and tires start to play havoc.
If you're looking at 20+ lap races, you'll start to see issues with tire wear. For that you'll want to start playing with your spring and damper balance, aero balance, alignment, brake bias, as well as the fuel load affecting the handling. Gear ratios, shift points and driving style can give you extra 2-4 laps a stint to minimise your fuel stops.

blinkngone
16-02-2019, 20:00
The AI at 100 at Sakitto are tough, for me. I can lead the lap at Start/Finish but I have to block, then 2/3 AI will plow through turn 1/2 and I have to re-pass them. I can get them through the esses unless this happens.
At least by using me as a pick he made it through the corner.
Well, it's a tough learning experience for me. He hit me and didn't slow down, even with me on the brakes he continued accelerating forcing me off.:)
I received a 30 second penalty for getting pushed off the track.
AI at 90, it's roulette. One time it's close.
Another time not so much.
Ok, penalty for this. Illegal overtake on the Renault, I have to give 2nd place back, there was no touching what-so-ever.