PDA

View Full Version : for pCARS3 - #1 priority for graphical improvements.

Javaniceday
25-02-2019, 20:03
This is the flipside of the other thread I made, where graphics stay the same while other CPU-intensive areas of the game are improved - - if CPU/GPU processing power is used to make improvements for pCARS3, given that pCARS already looks pretty damn good, what graphical elements should be prioritized?

This isn't a "what would you like" list. This is "what is the #1 area of improvement" list - and let's keep in mind future processing power.

The list could be exhausting, as good as pCARS looks, there are several areas that could use improving.

They could be perfected fovated rendering for VR, wider field of view (for VR), it could be a crowd-sim for the environment, etc, etc.

To me, one graphical element that gives video game footage as a game is particle effects. Improving this would be CPU intensive, but I think would give the game the most bang-for the buck graphical fidelity in making its footage look like real life. This is an example of another game, but pCARS effects aren't much better - this is just to illustrate the point.

https://streamable.com/qs76j

Dust, sparks, water splash - all those could be vastly improved. Every racing game out there, pCARS included, look too "clean". When collisions occur, they're impract is minimized by the fact there's too little smoke, much too little dust (especially when going on the gravel traps), too little dust/metal debris when colliding with a wall. Real life footage shows when such things happen, drivers are pretty much blinded until the dust comes back down.

If there are to be graphical improvements (which I think the devs ought to use in other areas), this would be the place to invest those resources.

What are yours?

Bliman
25-02-2019, 20:47
Attention to detail is very important.
Lighting is key to make a great race game and having great materials.
For example look at this (in the first instance I thought it was real) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7AbFf6p274
Just they have to watch out because the unreal engine also have some sort of fuzzines that can be seen at most of their games (look at ACC).

Azure Flare
25-02-2019, 20:51
"I'd rather have this that better graphics"

"PCars 3 graphics is the #1 priority"

Make up your mind!

Javaniceday
25-02-2019, 21:05

Make up your mind!

heh you're right, I guess the title isn't all that clear is it? I was just curious, for those that want better graphics, what would be the #1 priority.

Asturbo
25-02-2019, 21:12
what graphical elements should be prioritized?
Antialiasing

Javaniceday
25-02-2019, 21:17
Antialiasing

As in VR, or pancake mode, too? I thought it was pretty good in pancake mode..

Asturbo
25-02-2019, 21:33
Can't comment in VR. But ingame options of AA doesn't work as expected:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?51436-Anti-aliasing-mostly-ineffective-other-solutions

Bliman
25-02-2019, 21:49

Make up your mind!

We want everything. Lol:cool:

Cholton82
26-02-2019, 09:11
Little touches for me like a more prominent racing line with more marbles around the edges after longer races , more screen dirt building up. A bit more dust thrown up and a bit of engine smoke kicking out the back on cars that are starting to suffer engine degradation or failures but that’s for a different topic and wishlist.

SlowBloke
26-02-2019, 09:40
mmmm - ok scope VR mainly and obviously with no clue to performance hits...

Reduction in width of the white lines on most tracks - they are too thick

Improve quality of white lines in areas so they do not appear like a bunch of straight lines joined together imperfectly but rather smooth lines around corners (You can really see the difference in Le Mans iracing v PC2 and to a lesser extent Nordschleife).

Leaves on trees to be smaller (You pass some trees at Oulton Park and the leaves look bigger than tyres) maybe even have option to default to old 2D tree models in VR ?

Improved rain & fog effects

Reduce shimmering

Improved LOD pop in - most notably when you get closer to the car in front its distracting seeing the car model change 2 times significantly.

Ability to set a secondary graphics profile that loads for heavy graphics sessions - ie night time / weather intensive session - ideally the options you select then default to the second profile if the systems knows its going to be battered (ie Long beach at night)

Sankyo
26-02-2019, 10:01
Better AA would be at the top of the list for me.

Close second is basically polishing/improving of what we have, like:
- eliminate all object pop-in on all tracks
- track and ground texture improvements (get rid of obvious tiling, more variety in texture and shading) as replay shots IMO often look quite bad, as in rFactor1 bad, regarding ground textures
- bugged car/window reflections
- texture z-fighting

Zaskarspants
26-02-2019, 10:42
Wind and weather affecting off track assets more, stuff blowing across track occasionally, trees moving, crowd changes and movement. Dynamic degradable surfaces for realistic dents and scratches. Lots more particles. Engine smoke on damage.

Javaniceday
26-02-2019, 16:57
Wind and weather affecting off track assets more, stuff blowing across track occasionally, trees moving, crowd changes and movement. Dynamic degradable surfaces for realistic dents and scratches. Lots more particles. Engine smoke on damage.

That's a big list. What would be the #1 priority?

cpcdem
26-02-2019, 17:00
I think the wind affecting stuff, because this is practical as well. Right now the wind affects the behavior of the car, but you have no idea it's the wind causing it, and are left wondering. But if you see the trees moving all over the place, then you get a pretty good hint :)

Zaskarspants
26-02-2019, 17:44
That's a big list. What would be the #1 priority?

Big? Hardly.
None of those things are a priority. Graphical fidelity will improve in many areas I am sure and I look forward to that but I can't get excited about where the polish should go.

TexasTyme214
26-02-2019, 22:26
I can't decide between adaptive tesselation and ray tracing. I think it's the former.

Javaniceday
27-02-2019, 01:30
I can't decide between adaptive tesselation and ray tracing. I think it's the former.

adaptive tesselation? by raytracing, you mean taking advantage of the new lighting potential in the 2080 RTX cards yea?

I would agree the lighting, while already amazing, has room for improvement.

shiftee
27-02-2019, 15:10
AA, LOD, and pop-in - those are the 3 issues that ruin the immersion in Pcars2. Would love these to all be resolved in Pcars3, along with the expected graphical leap with the new console CPU/GPU. PC should benefit hopefully, high end PCs were left bored running Pcars3 since they played it pretty safe and limited settings.

I would also love to see the return of stretched taillights reflections on roads, one of my favorite effects from Pcars1. at least a setting toggle, if your rig can handle it.

xtro
28-02-2019, 16:00
More physics based particles. Smoke dust water oil fires.. anything that immerse you. Keep the LOD higher so cars feels more like big solid objects. Deformable breakable objects on the side of the tracks

TexasTyme214
01-03-2019, 21:11
adaptive tesselation? by raytracing, you mean taking advantage of the new lighting potential in the 2080 RTX cards yea?

I would agree the lighting, while already amazing, has room for improvement.

Adaptive tesselation is one of the things Polyphony added to GT6. Basically the same knew to take away or add detail to a car model depending on how close or day a certain of the car was. It seemed to be a much better alternative to multiple LOD cars popping in and out the horizon.

Javaniceday
01-03-2019, 22:52
Adaptive tesselation is one of the things Polyphony added to GT6. Basically the same knew to take away or add detail to a car model depending on how close or day a certain of the car was. It seemed to be a much better alternative to multiple LOD cars popping in and out the horizon.

Oooh does it save in processing power?

TexasTyme214
02-03-2019, 00:55
Oooh does it save in processing power?

I doubt it, but it looks nice.

Goggles Paesano
22-03-2019, 13:45
Tree shadows have horrendous flickering in VR, I'd prefer static shadows.

Close second is better AA

4dri3l
27-03-2019, 01:02
better AA for sure

bubbleguuum
30-03-2019, 12:17
#1 is flawless antialiasing in potato mode (non VR).

Aliasing can be so distracting. And paradoxically, even more so as graphics gets ever more advanced and detailed, as every little imperfection in image quality sticks
like a sore thumb. Even @ 4K.

Aliasing is hard problem to solve in advanced graphic engines. Often you see it addressed using TAA, but this blurs the image a tad.

Ideally, I'd want a perfectly anti-aliased but sharp image.

There's also occasional z-fighting which I'd like to be a relic of the past. And LOD popping. And...