Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Vehicle custom liveries - How to + FAQ

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    So, how do I make custom Project CARS liveries with GIMP? I already installed 'gimp-dds' plugin, but I'm kind of lost...

My GIMP-fu is mega weak, so excuse me if I sound like a Photoshop guy. Here goes.

1) Go into the custom liveries directory:
    <drive name>...\Steam\steamapps\common\pCars\Vehicles\Textures\CustomLiveries

2) I think for GIMP you need to import the DDS file first. Do that. All car liveries use <car name>_LIVERY_PLAYER.DDS as the naming format for the painting the car body.

3) Create a new layer out of the wire-frame that the LIVERY_PLAYER file gives you by default. In Photoshop you need to set this layer to 'Multiply'. This layer gives you the exact mapping of all the car parts that can be painted.

4) Now create a new layer below that. Use the fill tool to pick your livery's base color.

5) Export the file as <CAR NAME>_TEMPLATE.XCF or .PSD (case depending). You can use this file as a template now, if you want to paint multiple liveries for this car.

6) Go crazy, let your mind run free and paint, paint, paint. It'd be a good idea to use multiple layers for each element of your livery's design. This will become your 'work file'. Export the work file XCF/PSD under a different name, ie. if your theme is "Yuyuko" and your car is the Aston-Martin Vantage GT3, save this work file as AM_VAN_GT3_YUYUKO.XCF.

7) Export the file as <CAR NAME>_LIVERY_PLAYER.DDS when you're totally done and/or if you want to have a look in-game.

Repeat 6 and 7 if you need to make changes to your livery. I'll assume you know how to resize images to create AI versions of your custom livery.
    The following user likes this Post: dctoe

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuyuko View Post
    3) Create a new layer out of the wire-frame that the LIVERY_PLAYER file gives you by default. In Photoshop you need to set this layer to 'Multiply'. This layer gives you the exact mapping of all the car parts that can be painted.
    How do I do that under GIMP? I'm still not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ryandtw View Post
    How do I do that under GIMP? I'm still not sure.
    http://askubuntu.com/a/530287

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    And does that 'copied' wireframe layer needs to be transparent or no?

EDIT: never mind, I did it! Now I'm free to put AKB48 on pCARS!
    Last edited by ryandtw; 08-05-2015 at 04:26.

Platform
    PS4
    So this is mainly for PC & not PS4 or Xbox 0ne ?

Unfortunately, yes. Livery packs (hopefully free) from the PC community will be a thing for the PS4 and Xbox One owners, though.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I see that the dds files are 1:1, but do I have to actually stretch it to 3:2 in order for the cars to show the custom liveries properly?

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuyuko View Post
    Unfortunately, yes. Livery packs (hopefully free) from the PC community will be a thing for the PS4 and Xbox One owners, though.
    True, but solely for fictional liveries unfortunatelly. Because of licencing issues.
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2600, 4x 3.40GHz RAM: 12GB HD: 1064GB (64GB SSD + 1000GB HDD) DVD+/-RW DL GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 OC, Fantatec Turbo S Wheel@750B and1.52; Wheelbase V2 with Porsche 918 wheel| CSR Elite Pedals | Windows 8 64-bit | 37" LG Curved UHD Widescreen | Oculus Rift DK2

Famous last words: Who's braking late stays longer fast

Platform
    PC
    Thanks for this, looks like a straightforward tutorial and I am looking forward to giving it a go!

I read somewhere that custom liveries can't be used in career mode, assuming that is correct and as mentioned earlier in the thread these liveries aren't currently visible when racing offline am I right in saying that you can only use these liveries in solo mode for now?