Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Calibrating HPP pedals

Kart Driver
    Thanks to Mark @ HPP, my pedals are now working perfectly in PCars. He reminded me that DIView can be used to recalibrate the range extremities that the controller sends to the game. Basically, google search for DIView and you'll find some download links from Leo Bodnar and I believe Heusinkveld Engineering. Once you have the software launch DIView and find the axes for your pedals. Then you can calibrate the end points for each pedal. It is fairly simple to do so not much point in going into a big tutorial. A right-click on each axis in DIView will bring up the calibration options and it's easy from there. Once that was completed I went back into PCars and re-ran the pedal calibration in-game. This time it worked perfectly and the pedal inputs while driving are exactly what you would expect.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: imz14u2nv, yakpilot

Platform
    PC
    So how you like those pedals in PCars? I been dreaming of those as well. Just saving my $$ for now.

Kart Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by TJRSIM View Post
    So how you like those pedals in PCars? I been dreaming of those as well. Just saving my $$ for now.
    You will never regret buying HPPs. They are unbelievably good

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by bhobbart View Post
    You will never regret buying HPPs. They are unbelievably good
    What kind of a rig are you running those on? I am looking at the PRX ones.

Kart Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by spinkick View Post
    What kind of a rig are you running those on? I am looking at the PRX ones.
    I am running the 2-pedal PHT model on an Obutto Ozone. I had to strengthen the pedal tray to stop it flexing The feel from the hydraulic brake is just phenomenal. Mark was not content to just slap any old off-the-shelf solution on there. Everything on these pedals is custom designed for sim-racing and CNC milled in-house at HPP. I honestly don't think you can buy a better set of pedals at any price. The PRX is a great set and has lots of flexibility. Whatever rig you are using you will find a way to make them work.

Platform
    PC
    Thanks for updating this post and sticking with it I did find that software and one other actually, but I have no experience setting up high end stuff like this. Figured the software had something to do with it and was about to contact HPP, but now I don't have to.

In regards to my interest in the pedals and the brake feel, the Fanatec V2 pedals were better than the G25 set I had, but I'm still yearning for something better out of the brake pedal. So... I'm imagining the pressure sensor could have a higher amount of detail if that makes sense. Any light you can shed on my brake pedal desires would be much appreciated. Those pedals are beautiful, versatile, and damn expensive. I'm a little worried about spending so much if that one desire is underwhelming.
    Last edited by Beans; 28-05-2015 at 06:40.
    CPU I7 6850K/MB MSI X99A Godlike/MEM DDR4 G.Skill 3200 MHz 32GB/GPU GTX 1080 FTW 8GB SLI (376.33)/SSD Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB, 850 EVO SATA 1TB/HDD WD Raptor 1TB/PSU Corsair AX1200/OS 10 64 Pro/Display Acer X34 (3440 x 1440) , Oculus/Wheel CSW V2/Pedals V2

Kart Driver
    Hi Beans. When I got my set of HPPs I wrote a review in the iRacing Hardware forum. The guts of that review is quoted below. My opinion of the pedals has only gotten better and better since then, and Mark has made many improvements since the original design. It's not like they needed improving or anything but he is a perfectionist. The pedals he is selling now are simply phenomenal.

From my review on 11/20/2013:
    "I suspect most everyone who spends time in the hardware forum knows plenty about the myriad of high-end pedal sets available to us these days. As has been said many times recently, it's a great time to be a sim racer. I got into sim-racing about 2 years ago thanks to a recommendation from a friend (Steve, you have cost me a LOT of money, lol ) At the time I had just picked up a Fanatec GT3rs wheel and CSP V1 pedals. This was an enormous leap from the DFGT I had been using, especially the pedals. (Nothing against the DFGT wheel - it is still one of the best values in the industry and works great). That taught me just how valuable a pressure-based brake pedal was to improving car control and reducing lap times. Since then I moved on to the CSP V2s which have treated me well.

Still, as happy as I was with the CSPs, knowing how crucial brake control was got me thinking about the various high-end sets on the market. For the most part they were just too expensive to justify what would be a fairly speculative purchase. I could not be sure that a different set of load-cell based pedals would be markedly better than what I was using. Hydraulic pedals seemed to offer a better chance of a noticeable upgrade but again cost was a deterrent. Reviews are helpful but how many people are going to spend well in excess of $1000 on a set of pedals and then come on here and trash them? More likely they will keep any disappointment to themselves. So I stuck with the CSPs and had no real plan to upgrade.

Or at least that was true until Mark Hargett of Hargett Precision Products came along with his own original design and turned the pedal market on its head. Here was a set of beautifully crafted pedals with a hydraulic brake starting under $600! It was a little hard to believe at that price point but Mark's history with real-world auto racing components meant it was worth paying close attention to his progress. Sure enough the first customer reports came back with nothing but high praise so I pulled the trigger on a 2-pedal set. They arrived today and I have spent about 90mins driving with them up to now. To put it simply, they're frikkin' awesome

The design and construction quality is stellar. I'll be fairly shocked if I manage to break anything on these and I expect to own them for a very very long time. I mounted them to the pedal plate on my Obutto Ozone and immediately came across one slight issue. When I put a lot of pressure on the brake, the front edge of the Ozone pedal tray wants to lift up. This is of course not the pedals fault but I need to find a way to secure the tray better. I alleviated the problem temporarily by installing the softer of the two brake bumpers so I didn't need to stand on the pedal quite so much. They are still plenty stiff and in fact I suspect I will end up sticking with this "softer" configuration as it feels amazing.

So, on to the performance. Going into this purchase I had one primary goal: I wanted to improve my brake modulation to help with trail braking as it is so key to lowering lap times. The CSPs were not horrendous in this regard but I could never quite get comfortable or smooth enough easing off the brake to be able to repeatedly trail brake corner after corner without some seriously varied results. Others will no doubt have more success than I did with the CSPs but this was a skill that I was having some real difficulty making progress on. Another goal I had was to be more consistent with threshold braking. I had reasonable success in this area with the CSPs but if really pushing I would often go just that little bit too far and lock up the brakes. From there I found it very difficult to recover without losing tons of time. I was hoping the HPP pedals would help with that too but I really wasn't counting on it.

Knowing my HPPs were due to arrive today, I spent some time at Road America in the Skippy last night trying to squeeze every last fraction of a second I could from my CSPs. I had been practicing at Road America for about a week and a half since the Skippy series was based there last week. I had managed to improve my PB to 2:34.580 but it was very hard-fought and so I didn't expect to improve much from there, given how much time I had already spent trying. Well, I was wrong. Dead wrong. In my first session with the HPPs I got back in the Skippy at the same track with the exact same setup. Within about a half-hour and while still getting used to the different brake feel, I knocked about 0.25s off my personal best. Not only that, it was clear that there was more time to be had once I got more comfortable with the HPPs. So this evening I sat in for another go and as of right now I have reduced my PB by over half a second versus the CSPs. There is definitely more time available, I just need some more practice.

So how was this possible? Well, as I hoped, the hydraulic brake feel is phenomenal. I can much more reliably get close to the brake lock-up threshold without actually going over. More impressively, when I do lock-up I find it much much easier to ease off a little and get control back without losing too much time. Overall it is just so much easier to modulate brake pressure that I feel much more in control of the car. The same of course goes for trail-braking. Now that I can so easily feel how much brake pressure I am holding in, it has become much easier to gently ease out of it during turn-in. The net effect is the car feels like it has been set up with a higher front brake bias so the rear end is less twitchy when trail-braking. Of course, I made no setup changes so it is the pedals that are delivering that effect.

To wrap up, I'm pretty much blown away by these pedals and it is already clear they are making me faster. Just how much faster remains to be seen but over half a second on the first day is pretty freakin' spectacular if you ask me. I think this is made all the more impressive by the fact that I was coming from an already very solid set of pedals with a load-cell brake. I really did not expect the HPPs to be quite this much of an upgrade but I can happily say they were an outstanding value for money and I'm very glad I pulled the trigger on them. I hope this is helpful if you are considering a new pedal set. If you are, make sure you take a long hard look at the HPPs. I think you'll find them impossible to beat. "
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Beans, spinkick

Platform
    PC
    Wow bhobbart thanks, that pretty much hits the nail on the head. I want better modulation. I'm not necessarily trying to trail brake, but I use the same technique regardless, hard to soft and the in between part is too vague. The design and quality is very impressive IMO. The brake pedal is my biggest hardware hang up with sim, extremely difficult to replicate I would imagine. I guess that would be the next step in sim racing, quality brake pedal feedback.
    CPU I7 6850K/MB MSI X99A Godlike/MEM DDR4 G.Skill 3200 MHz 32GB/GPU GTX 1080 FTW 8GB SLI (376.33)/SSD Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB, 850 EVO SATA 1TB/HDD WD Raptor 1TB/PSU Corsair AX1200/OS 10 64 Pro/Display Acer X34 (3440 x 1440) , Oculus/Wheel CSW V2/Pedals V2

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbath View Post
    I have a similar problem with the G25 pedals with the AP Electrix load cell modification.
    The brakes appear to be reversed in the game, ie the harder I push the brake the faster the car goes. Release the brake and the brake locks up the wheels.

When Calibrating I push the brake and it shows about 25 and thats all, let me know if you want this in a separate thread.

The brakes work fine in iRacing on the same computer
    I'm having this exact problem as well. I've resorted to using the G27 clutch pedal as a brake, as nothing I do makes this game recognize the AP load cell mod. It travels to 25-28 in the calibration screen, but has no braking effect on track.

EDIT: Solved. Assigning the pedal in the configuration screen BEFORE calibration seems to have worked, even though without manually assigning the pedal, it tries to calibrate. As soon as I assigned it first, it calibrated to 100%.
    Last edited by Rob Wilkinson; 16-06-2015 at 16:17.
    The following user likes this Post: Mahjik

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by bhobbart View Post
    Thanks to Mark @ HPP, my pedals are now working perfectly in PCars. He reminded me that DIView can be used to recalibrate the range extremities that the controller sends to the game. Basically, google search for DIView and you'll find some download links from Leo Bodnar and I believe Heusinkveld Engineering. Once you have the software launch DIView and find the axes for your pedals. Then you can calibrate the end points for each pedal. It is fairly simple to do so not much point in going into a big tutorial. A right-click on each axis in DIView will bring up the calibration options and it's easy from there. Once that was completed I went back into PCars and re-ran the pedal calibration in-game. This time it worked perfectly and the pedal inputs while driving are exactly what you would expect.
    bhobbart,
    Thanks so much for this, this has just saved the day for me.
    I got my HPP 3P-PRX-SE’s about a month ago (April 18th, 2017), I had pretty much given up on trying to get PCARS working with my new OSW and HPP pedals, Not sure what made me start pressing for an answer again as it has been a few weeks, but, I have been searching everything and finally came across this thread, wow, this helped so much, Thanks Again!!!
    PC
    i5-6600K/32GB DDR4 3200/NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE/1 x TB SSD/2 x 500GB SSD
    SimuCUBE based OSW kit MiGE 130ST-M10010 20Nm 10000ppr (40000cpr) / OMP Superquadro panel w/ SLI - Pololo Instruments / HPP 3P-PRX-SE Pedals / Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ V 1.5 / 4play racing 8020 racing chassis with Race Seat.