Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS4 - more adjustable for controller steering

Kart Driver

PS4 - more adjustable for controller steering

First of all, kudos and a big thank you for making this game! The first impression is awesome and I can't wait to explore more of it!

I do have some issues with steering using the PS4 controller though (unfortunately my setup here doesn't allow for a wheel). Namely, despite quite some effort and forum reading, I haven't been able to find a controller configuration that allows for precise, very fast steering corrections. Ideally, I'd expect the wheels to always follow the stick movement with near zero delay. In Project Cars however, the maximum rate at which the steering wheel turns is quite slow, so it introduces a large latency to steering maneuvers that make precise control in tough situations impossible. I know zero-delay isn't entirely realistic, since a real driver can't possibly rotate the wheel from one end to the other as fast as one can move the tiny PS4 stick, but he can certainly do it a *lot* quicker than the slow-motion version that's currently in the game.

It feels like the current implementation tries quite hard to be smart with all the softening/filtering/speed sensitivity options etc, and that's probably the right thing for some player styles (e.g. for people that "tap" the stick like it's digital). However, for those looking for the most direct, precise control possible, it makes the car feel too indirect. With the right config tweaks it's not too terrible, but especially in hairy situations when you want maximum control, the scheme breaks down due to the delayed steering.

Btw, I did turn off all assists, so that's not the culprit.

Thanks again for a great game!

Edit by Elmo - Feature suggestion:

Quote Originally Posted by lespalt View Post
    Thanks, this is great info. I just came back from vacation and spent another couple hours on this yesterday. I tried a bunch of configs suggested here on the forums, but none of them got it right. Using mode 2 seems to help a bit, but even with that, steering is still too delayed and thus feels too indirect. Accurate, quick corrections are impossible, and for a serious racing simulation that's just a showstopper Imagine the frustration of spinning out during a long, heated race, just because you tried to correct for a minor slide and that correction didn't "make it to the wheels" on time!

Basically, for my driving style (and I think that of other people in this and other posts), the steering just needs to be as directly connected to the wheels as possible. No softening/damping/filtering, different handling of crossover vs steering vs stick-release, or any of that.

I think what is needed is really just a simple, direct stick-to-wheel-angle mapping, with a configurable linearity for the mapping curve.

I'm surprised something that simple doesn't seem to be possible in the game...has it been tried and then discarded? Why? Or, in case the delay stems from the fact that the game simulates torques on the front wheels (or even the actual steering wheel?), could you make those torques large enough so things feel instant with a controller. Mode 2 with steering sensitivity 0, speed sensitivity 0, damping off, opp.lock help off, seems to get most of the way there. If it just removed the steering delay and allowed for even lower sensitivity (i.e. be able to make the mapping less linear), I think that would work.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Elmo; 22-05-2015 at 19:00. Reason: Edited for clarity and brevity, and add more info to title

Platform
    PC
    feel free to experiment with gamepad settings in the options menu,
    as a starting point, I would try different modes ( mode1, mode2 and mode3) and see which one is closest to what you are after.
    the only option after that would be starting to experiment with settings yourself, or wait until someone posts some good settings here on the forums.

welcome to pCars and I hope you'll enjoy your time with the game,

gaming pc |Processor| i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 3.4GHz |Motherboard ASUS Rampage IV Gene |Graphics| EVGA GTX1070 |Ram| CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2133 Mhz |Controllers|This is how I roll - Xbox360 Controller / DualShock3 PS3 Controller | Fanatec CSW2 + BMW M3 GT2 wheel |homepage| https://plus.google.com/photos/11071...ums?banner=pwa |steam name| nosalisCZ
    The following user likes this Post: ukfan758

Platform
    PS4
    I spent 2 hours tweaking my controller options to find a good balance.

Basically, there are 3 default options, try each of them in the same car and track, race for 5-6 laps. not the differences between each default and try an understand why a particular default is better, then tweak that default.

This is not a game where you can pick up and drive straight away.

Kart Driver
    I have spent quite some time yesterday with the controller settings. Like I mentioned, there is a specific behavior that I can't seem to get right: quick counter-steer movements at medium/high car speeds. The driver just won't turn the wheel fast enough, no matter what parameters I choose in the controller config.

It takes him like 0.5 seconds (estimated) to turn the wheel all the way from left to right. That's often just way too slow to catch the car when the tail is starting to come out.

If anyone has actually found settings to fix this, I'd appreciate hearing about it. If it's not possible to fix this in the settings, I'd consider it a bug. Anyone know where I can report it?

thanks

WMD Member
    It's different between the modes, i've tried to explain here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...l=1#post883696
    I thought that mode 1 is reasonably fast in countersteering, you can also enable the opposite lock help.
    2500K @ 4.2/ 380X / TX 458, Xbox elite controller / Single 1080p monitor

Platform
    PS4
    Opposite lock assist (can't remember the exact phrasing) will help with catching slides.

Rookie
    I totally agree and fully understand what you are talking about! Three of us spent the best part of 6 hours yesterday (yes 6 hours!), trying to find a setting to counteract this. It cant be done i dont think we didnt notice at first as we were driving slow to get used to the game in the hatchbacks on offer (this is on xbone btw). It wasn't until we started a career in the shifter carts where it became apparent. Because they are so nimble on track and quite tricky to get used too, you often quickly need to change direction, and if you are too quick with the thumb sticks it either moves really slowly, or somehow manages to not register at all and continues to to hold the original direction.

The easiest way to see this (and it can be done in all cars but karts seem to be effected more) is to stop, point the stick right for example (so that the driver on screen is turning right), then quickly move the stick left. Repeat this a few times and you'll find that you end up holding left for example on the controller but the car/driver on screen is pointing right!!! Its totally ridiculous!

After a while we thought it might just have been that copy of the game but my copy also does it which means its inherent to the game itself. We even went to Forza 5, Horizon 2 and Driveclub on the PS4 and none of these games do that.

I can appreciate what is tying to be achieved here (the fact that in real life you cant switch opposite lock that quickly) and I suspect if you are using a wheel this wouldn't come into play, but using the controller.... come on! Its difficult enough (I should say challenging) without this weirdness going on! Its almost impossible to drive the karts, in particular there is a kart track (sorry i cant remember the name, 2nd race weekend in career i think) where its a series of 6 or 7 quite sharp left right corners, the only way to do this is to let the stick on the controller naturally go back to centre before changing direction, its soooooooo frustrating!!!!

If a player is using a controller then the games needs to detect this and apply some kind of fix.

Or if someone in pCars dev team can provide a settings change solution, that would be great!

Oh and opposite lock assist, plus the 1, 2, 3 settings DO NOT stop this happening!!! Trust me, try it yourself!!! Maybe its an xbox one thing.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
    The following user likes this Post: Lee van Davo

Rookie
    I found this setup on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JWNiwIhq68
    I am using PS4 and this setup worked much better for me than the default. worth giving it a try. You at least will be able to control the car.

WMD Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboPeen View Post
    I totally agree and fully understand what you are talking about! Three of us spent the best part of 6 hours yesterday (yes 6 hours!), trying to find a setting to counteract this. It cant be done i dont think we didnt notice at first as we were driving slow to get used to the game in the hatchbacks on offer (this is on xbone btw). It wasn't until we started a career in the shifter carts where it became apparent. Because they are so nimble on track and quite tricky to get used too, you often quickly need to change direction, and if you are too quick with the thumb sticks it either moves really slowly, or somehow manages to not register at all and continues to to hold the original direction.

The easiest way to see this (and it can be done in all cars but karts seem to be effected more) is to stop, point the stick right for example (so that the driver on screen is turning right), then quickly move the stick left. Repeat this a few times and you'll find that you end up holding left for example on the controller but the car/driver on screen is pointing right!!! Its totally ridiculous!

After a while we thought it might just have been that copy of the game but my copy also does it which means its inherent to the game itself. We even went to Forza 5, Horizon 2 and Driveclub on the PS4 and none of these games do that.

I can appreciate what is tying to be achieved here (the fact that in real life you cant switch opposite lock that quickly) and I suspect if you are using a wheel this wouldn't come into play, but using the controller.... come on! Its difficult enough (I should say challenging) without this weirdness going on! Its almost impossible to drive the karts, in particular there is a kart track (sorry i cant remember the name, 2nd race weekend in career i think) where its a series of 6 or 7 quite sharp left right corners, the only way to do this is to let the stick on the controller naturally go back to centre before changing direction, its soooooooo frustrating!!!!

If a player is using a controller then the games needs to detect this and apply some kind of fix.

Or if someone in pCars dev team can provide a settings change solution, that would be great!

Oh and opposite lock assist, plus the 1, 2, 3 settings DO NOT stop this happening!!! Trust me, try it yourself!!! Maybe its an xbox one thing.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
    I would swear i have replied to this already somewhere, plz look here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...g-up-a-gamepad
    It explains things a bit and can help you adjust to it.
    2500K @ 4.2/ 380X / TX 458, Xbox elite controller / Single 1080p monitor

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Ive had the same problem and spent many hours trying to get around it. I had to reinstall the game and thats done the trick so far but some of the cars still handle terrible. I found this video on youtube for controller settings this is how i have mine set up now
    http://youtu.be/3VCWf8fsJ0o
    Hope they can sort it with a patch soon