Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems With Audio (Crackling/Popping)

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Problems With Audio (Crackling/Popping)

I am having issues with my audio, particularly when I make mistakes which lead to scenarios in which I would expect higher volume (i.e. redlining, crashing, going off track). When in redline (even by a little bit) I am getting a lot of crackling/popping in the sound. This is very noticeable if I downshift and end up redlining. When I go off track, the sound quality is quite poor and doesn't sound like any game play videos I have watched. I would say the overall sound experience is poorer than the game play videos I have watched, but is particularly bad when redlining. Basically anytime there is a spike in sound, I get the crackling (can also be described as sounding like a blown speaker though I know the speakers are fine).

Setup is Win 7, Core i5-3570k and 970 GPU connected to a Denon receiver through HDMI. No overclocking. This computer is usually used as my HTPC and I have absolutely no problems playing movies through KODI into full surround sound or playing itunes into stereo.

I have also tried using headphones plugged into the motherboard headphone jack, but the problem continues to exist.

This is my first pc game and the first time I have used Steam so I am unable to tell if there is a problem with other games. I have used the system to play Dolphine wii emulator, but only for wii sports and I have had no sound issues.

More detail and things I have tried:
    All sound enhancements are turned off
    I have lowered all the volumes within the game
    I have lowered the volume within sound settings in Windows
    I have tried on my desktop computer (i7 2600k, 560ti) through the attached speakers with all low visual settings and have the same problem
    Drivers are all up to date
    If I watch a replay of my gameplay, the sound problems are still there.

I upgraded my GPU from a 660ti to the 970 in hopes of solving the problem, but it has not helped (though on the bright side I know have much higher settings and lower temps on my motherboard).

Yes, yes, I know if I drive better I can avoid redlining and going off track to improve the audio experience, but even with this I feel like the quality is not 100%.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
    HTPC: CPU i5-3570k @ 3.4Ghz | GPU EVGA GTX 970 4GB | RAM 8GB DDR3 1600| MOBO ASUS P8Z77-M | SSD Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB | OS Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
    Controller: XBOX One
    Display & Sound: Samsung 50" Plasma | Denon AVR3312CI Receiver

Platform
    PC
    I can tell you the sound quality for the game is very good! My experience with what you describe has is usually been driver related, although a bad connection can certainly cause it. What drivers are you using? Creative drivers has given me issues before. Usually they have gotten corrupted somehow and reinstalling them fixed the problem. I have never actually had a game or app. be the problem as you describe.
    CPU I7 6850K/MB MSI X99A Godlike/MEM DDR4 G.Skill 3200 MHz 32GB/GPU GTX 1080 FTW 8GB SLI (376.33)/SSD Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB, 850 EVO SATA 1TB/HDD WD Raptor 1TB/PSU Corsair AX1200/OS 10 64 Pro/Display Acer X34 (3440 x 1440) , Oculus/Wheel CSW V2/Pedals V2

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    What drivers are you using?
    I have three audio drivers showing up in the device manager, NVIDIA High Definition Audio, NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM) and Realtek High Definition Audio. The NVIDIA drivers were automatically installed when I installed the new video card. The realtek driver is part of my Asus motherboard and is the latest driver. I uninstalled the realtek driver, reinstalled it and tried my headset again, but continue to get the crackling both with the headset and through my stereo.
    HTPC: CPU i5-3570k @ 3.4Ghz | GPU EVGA GTX 970 4GB | RAM 8GB DDR3 1600| MOBO ASUS P8Z77-M | SSD Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB | OS Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

On board sound cards usually have pretty bad quality.
    System Specs: Intel i7 Quad Core @ 3.4 GHZ : Geforce GTX970 4GB : Soundblaster Audigy 2 : 8 GB RAM : Win7 64bit : Fatatec Clubsport Wheel : Fanatec Clubsport Pedals : Obutto Racing Cockpit : LG 34" UltraWide LCD Monitor : Logitech G110 Gaming Keyboard : Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse : Butt Kicker Gamer 2 Bass Shaker.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Lee View Post
    On board sound cards usually have pretty bad quality.
    Agreed, and I never use it (though I have here in the process of trying to isolate the problem). I use the hdmi out to my receiver. My typical use for this computer is as an HTPC running KODI. I bitstream all the audio to the Denon receiver and let it decode whether it be Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, Stereo, etc. When I use headphones, I plug them directly into the receiver rather than the computer (I don't use a headset with a microphone for any gaming I have previously done on my XBOX One).

As further experimentation I have played with the settings within the Denon receiver changing the surround mode through various options (stereo, direct, standard) but it has had no effect so I am leaving it on Standard. I have my computer sound settings set at 5.1 so I can have a more immersive sound experience with the game. I have tried it on stereo as well, but had the same issue. Given I have the same issue whether using the onboard sound or sending it through my stereo, I feel like it must be some sort of setting within my computer.

Platform
    PC
    You can right click on the Speaker in the task bar and select Playback Devices.
    Select your device / output and then click Properties.

Check what the Default Format is set to.

Also check the Levels set in there.

You may also have an app in the Control Panel that is specific to the audio hardware, This may have separate Level control and "enhancements" that may be affecting this.
    PC - || Corsair 600C || 1080 TI Founders Edition || AMD Ryzen 7 1800x || 16GB DDR4 4000mhz || Asus Crosshair VI Hero || EKWB 360 + 240 RAD Custom Loop (CPU / GPU) || Corsair AX1200 || Logitech G910 Orion Spectruim || Logitech G700 || Fanatec CSW v2 BMW GT & Formula Rims || Fanatec CSS SQ v1.5 || Fanatec CSP V3 Brake Performance Kit || Fanatec Handbrake || Simvibe || Logitech 5.1 Speakers || 2x Yamaha HS80 || Oculus Rift CV1 ||AOC 34" Ultra-Wide IPS || Synology DS1817+ || Windows 10 Pro x64 ||

Platform
    PC
    I'm sorry to hear about your problem, but honestly, my mind would be blown if the game was causing this. I have HTPC and use the Motherboard HDMI out for the Video and Audio. Do you use the HDMI out of the 970 for audio and video passing it through the Denon? Wondering if you should disable onboard audio in BIOS.
    CPU I7 6850K/MB MSI X99A Godlike/MEM DDR4 G.Skill 3200 MHz 32GB/GPU GTX 1080 FTW 8GB SLI (376.33)/SSD Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB, 850 EVO SATA 1TB/HDD WD Raptor 1TB/PSU Corsair AX1200/OS 10 64 Pro/Display Acer X34 (3440 x 1440) , Oculus/Wheel CSW V2/Pedals V2

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Check what the Default Format is set to.
    The default device is the Denon-AVAMP-4 through the NVIDIA high definition audio. Levels are set at 100, though I have tried lowering these to no effect. Enhancements are all disabled. And under Advanced, the default format is 16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality), though I have tried changing this to 16 bit 44100 (CD Quality) to no effect.

Do you use the HDMI out of the 970 for audio and video passing it through the Denon? Wondering if you should disable onboard audio in BIOS.
    I am using HDMI out from my 970 for audio and video to the Denon. I could easily use the onboard HDMI out to the Denon for the HTPC, but I added a graphics card (660ti, now the 970) in order to run the Dolphin wii emulator. I disabled the onboard audio in the bios and lowered the levels within the default format and it had no effect. As an HTPC everything continues to run smoothly, so I will probably just keep the onboard audio disabled.

I agree that it is probably not the game causing the issue, but some setting within my computer. I have used both of my computers to run XMBC/KODI so I wonder if there is there something there that has caused a problem.

Until I figure this out, I guess this means I have to drive better, though I appreciate your ideas as I attempt to troubleshoot this issue.

Superkart Pilot
    Did you check for updated drivers yet? Also I think I had a similar problem to this I'm not sure exactly but my motherboard software installed some bs audio app making it default instead of windows you might see if that is an issue.

Platform
    PC
    It almost sounds like there is some software amplification happening at the PC / Driver, but you would then expect this to be consistent across other Apps / music / movies on the PC.

It is a real head-scratcher.
    PC - || Corsair 600C || 1080 TI Founders Edition || AMD Ryzen 7 1800x || 16GB DDR4 4000mhz || Asus Crosshair VI Hero || EKWB 360 + 240 RAD Custom Loop (CPU / GPU) || Corsair AX1200 || Logitech G910 Orion Spectruim || Logitech G700 || Fanatec CSW v2 BMW GT & Formula Rims || Fanatec CSS SQ v1.5 || Fanatec CSP V3 Brake Performance Kit || Fanatec Handbrake || Simvibe || Logitech 5.1 Speakers || 2x Yamaha HS80 || Oculus Rift CV1 ||AOC 34" Ultra-Wide IPS || Synology DS1817+ || Windows 10 Pro x64 ||