Thread: Steering Wheel Controller Recommendations (PC)

Rookie

Steering Wheel Controller Recommendations (PC)

Hi folks,
    I've always had an interest in racing, thanks to my father being a fan, and enjoying F1 in particular. I don't have much experience with racing sims or technical intricacies of cars, but I decided to grab Project Cars on a whim with the intent of getting into the hobby. The only racing games I've really played are arcade-style, and I've had to slug it out with my keyboard. I'm looking at getting a wheel controller for PCars and thought I'd ask for some recommendations. The only one I've done much research on is the G27; I was wondering if it'd be worth looking at less-expensive runner-ups.

The Driving Force GT is worth looking into if you're that intent on getting a Logitech wheel and don't plan on going to next-gen consoles. Obviously, it's not as good as the G27 but it is far cheaper. You might also want to look at Fanatec or Thrustmaster's cheaper offerings if you want Xbox One or Playstation 4 compatibility.

Hi there Aristo! I understand your concerns here, and let me say that I would personally think about buying yourself a standard corded (or cordless) Xbox 360 controller. The reason being is that in case your steering wheel has a malfunction, you'll at least have a back up controller which performs much better than a keyboard and mouse. That all being said, let's get to steering wheels...

This link provides racing wheels compatible with Project CARS http://www.projectcarsgame.com/beyond-reality.html, I would seriously consider purchasing a controller from this list, as the developers posted what works for their game. I have heard a lot of talk about the G27, good AND bad. Amazon reviews (those who gave it 1 star) said that after a while (from what I've read within hours to a full year) the racing wheel re-aligns itself in a different position, many have said around 30-40 degrees off center, and that there are no answers to the problem. I've also read the customer service can be bad because they have call centers out in India.

Personally, I find Logitech to be that "Everybody knows me, but you can't trust what I give you" type brand. Half their products are decent, and the other half is utter garbage. If I were you, (which I am, considering I too am looking for a racing wheel) I would plan to save up for the quality products. Yeah it sucks to hear, but there's a popular saying that goes... "Buy once, Cry once"... meaning, buy a good quality product that will last you a long time, and cry about its cost once, than to buy multiple unreliable items, and cry multiple times. I would avoid Logitech all together, and start focusing on the most popular, well known producers of racing wheels Thrustmaster. I have used a programmable Thrustmaster in the past, (for controlling a high school robotics team robot) and it worked great! You can find decent prices on Thrustmaster, and know that you will get a good product that was worth your money.... If I were to recommend any racing wheels, for getting into the hobby of Sim racing, Thrustmaster T-series of wheels, Ferrari 458 Spider wheel, OR any variant of the Ferrari 458 by Thrustmaster.

Eventually, if you really like the hobby, I would invest into high quality components such as Fantec. But they cost A LOT, but I would assume for good reason! I hope my opinion (THIS IS ALL PERSPECTIVE, NOT EXPERIENCE, so take what I say with a grain of salt) helped you out! Take care! - Sir Torrence
    "The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure."
    - Christopher McCandless

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/ke...aBYBwWmgKHK.99

Platform
    PC
    g27 is the gateway drug, next thing you know...you'll have given tm some and fanatec and simexperience alot of money