View Poll Results: Should WMD perhaps look into Adding Drift Capabilities?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes omg please add!

28 16.57%
  • Nah, I like Circuit only and I hate drift queens xD

115 68.05%
  • Yes; but please don't change or let me opt out of drift

21 12.43%
  • Other option; (please post a comment!)

5 2.96%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My personal opinion on the "physics"

Kart Driver

Cool My personal opinion on the "physics"

Now, first I would like to say I have been waiting a very long time for the game.
    It was very worth it. The game looks very polished, fantastic really. Sounds and
    feels great. The CARS look beautiful, the detail of terrain, road, trees, hand
    painted skybox. You really outdid yourselves.

I have enjoyed the Majority of the Career so far. Multitudes of different races and
    much to learn about the different CARS and how they handle. Circuit racing sure
    seems to be a main focus in this game however; which actually kind of disappointed
    me.

I was really hoping to see more Formula D and Drag races. The counter steering
    and steering angle in this game is not allowing for proper drifting. I can get good
    front grip but when the car goes full lock mid drift, the car spins out and loses ALL
    rear wheel speed. This make it impossible to drift. A simple solution to this would
    be the apparent MISSING feature of adding parts to
    your cars. Turbo, Supercharger, Cams, Pistons/Rods, Air-Intake; etc.

I'm not asking for the game to be changed, rather
    to have it added on to; as an additional mode or something. I understand the
    current career mode is designed to represent what a real race car driver would
    experience; somewhat... And I don't want the career mode changed, I know we aren't supposed to get
    any sort of edge on the other racers, i'm speaking for terms of a tuner series of races,
    or single player with option of adding and removing parts etc, and tune the vehicles.
    Most of your audience are going to be CAR fanatics. Anyone who is nerdy enough
    to own a computer that can run this game at high settings, and would ALSO buy
    a car game, must like CARS. Therefore, would like to be able to play with internals,
    make a personal vehicle faster, race their friends or tandem drift in the LA mountains track.

The potential is there, not much is needed to make this game appeal to the entire
    car enthusiast audience. As I stated originally the game looks FANTASTIC and feels
    really good, but these issues I pointed out I feel are what makes this game an OK
    game and what would make it a FANTASTIC game.

This is only my opinion please do not flame I know there are others like me out there
    that also feel this way and I would like to know if this is something WMD plans on in
    the future or perhaps in another game.

Thanks!
    Last edited by RunsWithScissors; 08-05-2015 at 09:54.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: kojot, NegSpec13

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    here is the problem, simulations need to model all that stuff. this took what 3-4 years, its still in development? how many cars are there? you are introducing so many variables, it would take forever to do that, its a different game.

regarding drifting, the problem you describe, if your rear wheels have lost power apply throttle? i prob do not understand as i d ont drift but i like to get sideways now & then & i dont have a problem w/ that in this game so im quite sure drifting should be doable
    Thrustmaster TX/CSR Elites/TH8a Shifter
    980OC/5820k@4.5/8GB DDR4@2400(stock)/WINDOWS 10

Kart Driver
    Well with regard to your comment, if you hit a corner, there is no reason to lose power especially in a
    powerband range, 5000-6000 rpms, and have to downshift, your back tires should slip a bit and you
    shouldn't get steering lock, it's actually quite obnoxious. Until that is fixed I cannot consider this to be
    a simulator. Even circuit racing can be quite a hassle without that ability to lose tire grip without sliding around an doing 540s.

Maybe I need to change tires, I heard if you put summer tires on or something it helps but what could it hurt once
    they get the rest of the other stuff fixed to add parts, etc. No cat and mouse, no drag racing, Ford Mustang 5-0
    trying to beat a world record 1/4 mile time. I'll wait until the trolls get off and then the real car enthusiasts will show up.

If SMS is going to do a drift bit, make it a stand alone game so they can tap into the tuning and customizing aspects of drifting in depth.

Cheers..!
    _
    | Please take all my posts with a grain of salt substitute... | Congrats to SMS and WMD on getting out the door. Now to sharing the track and the green..! |
    | Proud Member of TGC, where all the recliners have 5 point harnesses : TGC 80R Driver/Steward : Team Red Muppet Motorsport in the TGC-GTS & TGC-GEC |

| Processor : Intel 4690K OC @ 4.0ghz | Videocard : NVIDIA GTX 980 | MB : AS Rock Z97 Extreme6 | PSU : Corsair AX850 | Memory : 16gb G.Skill ARES DDR3 2400 | Wheel : Fanantec CSR Wheel / CSR Elite Pedals |

| Case : CM HAF 932 | HDDs : Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD : SeaGate 1TB HDD | Monitors : ASUS 24" HD / Sharp 55" Quattron 1080p | Keyboard : Logitech G510S | Gamepad : Logitech G13 | OS : Win 7 PRO 64 |
    | RES : 1920x1080 @60hz | WIN MODE : No | TEX RES : High | TROPICS : 4X | V-SYNC : Off | AA :DS2X | FXAA : Low | SMAA : Off | ULTRA :All; WD High | BLUR : 1 | REND AHEAD : 1 |

The following 5 users likes this Post: Cheesenium, Roger Prynne, RunsWithScissors, Shinzah, yusupov

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    tires are hugely important, cars default to slick or semislick tires. i am not sure which (between the UHP & extreme summer (? i think are the names) tires are best, but p sure i just switched a road car from track to UHP while messing around w/ FFB & they had a totally different feel.

as an example of how important tires are try any car from the 80s or before, those cars will slide around all over the place & its very controllable imo. im not sure if it was you but someone asked about drifting, like i say i cant speak as i havent ever tried drifting, just use countersteer to help get out of messes i make & sometimes for fun -- but the caterham classic is very slippery (i havent tried the superlight yet). its also slow & catchable so you should be able to practice if youre finding it weird compared to what youre used to or something.
    Thrustmaster TX/CSR Elites/TH8a Shifter
    980OC/5820k@4.5/8GB DDR4@2400(stock)/WINDOWS 10

Kart Driver
    I dont want it to sound like a mode when I say add drift capabilities. The cars themselves even after tweaking are weak and do not pull around bends. We need to be able to add more power to CARS
    and gamemodes could be created via mods. Shouldn't be too hard of a feature. Career mode car mods are not allowed but singleplayer and online sessions that allow them do.

Simple.

I'll make a video and point out what i'm talking about; should be up by this weekend.

WMD Member
    I don't think drifting should be included, as it doesn't fit in with the current model. At the moment it is all about racing, not about scoring points.

However, any ability to drift should be based around a simulation. If you allowed greater turn angles for steering then drifting would be easier. I suspect the biggest problem would be the tyre model. At the moment the simulation is focused around grip and slip angles for racing use. Drifting pushes tyres into unusual usage modes and so it would be reasonable to expect that the simulation model of the tyres would be weak in that area.
    The following user likes this Post: RunsWithScissors

Platform
    PC
    I vote Other option, need a drift "equipment" (Vehicle performance like tires). Please based current physics, don't apply another physics rule to "implement" drifting, this is worse solution.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by vicdavery View Post
    I don't think drifting should be included, as it doesn't fit in with the current model. At the moment it is all about racing, not about scoring points.

However, any ability to drift should be based around a simulation. If you allowed greater turn angles for steering then drifting would be easier. I suspect the biggest problem would be the tyre model. At the moment the simulation is focused around grip and slip angles for racing use. Drifting pushes tyres into unusual usage modes and so it would be reasonable to expect that the simulation model of the tyres would be weak in that area.
    Looks as future function not bad.
    The following user likes this Post: RunsWithScissors

Platform
    PS4
    I remember when drifting was cool in 2006... It's a circuit game full of touring, open wheel, and GT cars, I don't think "drifting" is what they're going for.

Drifting is for kids... Project CARS is for matured sim racing lovers. Go play Need for Speed if you want to drift.

That's just my opinion.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Eric Rowland, JessicaWalter