Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General Force Feedback setup

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

General Force Feedback setup

Hi everyone,

As a lot of us, I'm new on Project CARS. I tried it for the first time yesterday, and I immediately feel the need to set up the FFB.
    I'm talking about the general settings, not the ones you can change for every car (Fx, Fy, Fz, etc.).
    The possibilities seems great but, to be honest, I don't understand half of the parameters, even with the little explanation on the right.

So my request is quite simple :

Does someone can explain to me the meaning of each parameter? In what it change the FFB ?

With simple words if possible, as I'm quite idiot.
    Well no.
    I understand quickly. But you have to explain the thing for a long time.

Thanks a lot in advance !
    The following 5 users likes this Post: 3800racingfool, colbalt67, mute71, Rxhevntt, Terry McNeil

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I too would like to dive into the FFB settings but it's a bit overwhelming. I've tinkered with some stuff but I can't really tell what I'm supposed to be looking for change-wise so thus far it doesn't feel like I've really changed anything. This is the first game I've had that has these levels of tune-ability for FFB and the descriptions in-game aren't exactly the most detailed/helpful. If someone who knows what's what could provide some insight it'd be mighty appreciated.

WMD Member
    I dont want stronger force. I want to have more subtle feedback. Cant for My Life understand what setting i should Change. Manage to remove them completly though by having to strong ffb.

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Hello guys.

Yes the FFB settings are many and not so easy to understand, also for me as a WMD member. I think a written tutorial will come soon or later. In the time in-between I Think this recommendations, by one of our mods (Remco) are useful though (I hope Remco it's ok I publish them here).

"General FFB strength
    Output strength of the FFB to the wheel after it has been calculated by the FFB engine. This is basically the final 'volume' adjustment of the FFB. This means that if the FFB is clipping, turning the FFB strength down won't help anymore.

Tyre Force
    This is the strength of the tyre contribution to the FFB, which is also the main contributor to the FFB. If the FFB is too high or too low for all cars, you can adjust this value to get it equally stronger/weaker for all cars.

The car-specific settings
    These you want to adjust when the FFB of one car is good while for the next car it's too weak or strong (or has a wrong subjective balance of the individual force contributors).

Spindle Master Scale: this scales the forces below it equally up and down, i.e. it's the FFB 'volume knob' specifically for that car. Turn it down if the FFB is clipping, and up if it's too weak.
    Fx: this is the FFB component representing the longitudinal force on the tyre contact patch. This should determine FFB when accelerating or braking, but I haven't really experimented with this one yet.
    Fy: this is the FFB component representing the lateral force on the tyre contact patch. Very important for feeling mass transfer/inertia of the car when cornering.
    Fz: this is the FFB component representing the vertical force on the tyre contact patch. This plays an important part in the 'road feel' of the FFB, i.e. when going over bumps in the road.
    Mz: this is the FFB component representing the twisting force of the wheels, i.e. rotation along the vertical axis of the wheel. It is the self-aligning force of the wheels into the driving direction and is most important for getting the 'classic' feel of the FFB getting lighter when the front tyres lose grip.

So when you want a particular force to stand out in the FFB, raise its relative contribution to the total FFB, and after that adjust the Spindle Master Scale value if necessary to get the FFB stay within the full range (i.e. not clipping or getting too weak)."
    CPU Intel i5 8600K@stockspeed | MB Asus TUF Z370 Plus Gaming | HDD 120 GB SSD Samsung 840 + 250 GB SSD Samsung Evo | Ram 16 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance@3200 Mhz | GPU Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti ROG@stockspeed | Displays Asus VG278H@120 Hz + Oculus Rift CV1 | OS Win10 64x | Rig Playseat GT + Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Wheel & Pedals Fanatec CSW V2 + Club Sport Pedals V3
    The following 8 users likes this Post: Andjem, aussiejeff, colbalt67, Cuba, GT500, mewle, mute71, XTRMNTR2K

Platform
    PC
    The main parameters to adjust to ensure a good baseline are tireforce / forecfeedback / master spindle scale and deadzone removal
    "If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver."

Intel Core i7 4770K 3.5Ghz | Sapphire vapor-x r9 280x 3gb | Gigabyte Z97X-SLI-CF | Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120Gb | Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz 16Gb | Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit | Logitech g27 | Xbox One Controller | DSD Trackboss 2014 | TrackIR v5

Platform
    PC
    Thank you! And a big thanks to Remco! Great explanation of the FFB. I like the way you detailed the "car-specific settings". I think the car-specific settings are going to be awesome once we all dial it in correctly.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks a lot for these first elements, it helps .
    If somebody has a precise idea of what means all the general FFB parameters, it would help anyway.

Kart Driver
    I haven't had a chance to do this yet but I just read that if you cycle through the HUD options you can find a FFB monitor graph. Make sure your FFB is not clipping or you will lose all subtlety from the response.

Platform
    PC
    how do we know if ffb is clipping when we don't have a meter like iracing and ac?

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by SinShaark View Post
    Hi everyone,

As a lot of us, I'm new on Project CARS. I tried it for the first time yesterday, and I immediately feel the need to set up the FFB.
    I'm talking about the general settings, not the ones you can change for every car (Fx, Fy, Fz, etc.).
    The possibilities seems great but, to be honest, I don't understand half of the parameters, even with the little explanation on the right.

So my request is quite simple :

Does someone can explain to me the meaning of each parameter? In what it change the FFB ?

With simple words if possible, as I'm quite idiot.
    Well no.
    I understand quickly. But you have to explain the thing for a long time.

Thanks a lot in advance !

For those of you struggling to find a good FFB setup, I worked for a few hours last night testing different FFB 'setups' for different cars and think I've found a nice balance that brings alive the physics a bit. A lot less understeery and dull.

I'm using a G25.. note if it's not listed here I've left it set to DEFAULT.

FFB MASTER SETTINGS
    -------------------------
    FFB Slider: 90

FFB CALIBRATION SETTINGS
    --------------------------------
    Tire Force: 125
    Deadzone Removal: 0.14

SPINDLE
    ------------
    Master Scale: 26 for Tin Tops, up to 34 for Formula Cars and somewhere in-between for other cars.
    FX: 100 (Load on X-axis refers to acceleration & braking)
    FY: 120 (Load on Y-axis refers to lateral friction such as sliding)
    FZ: 140 (Load on Z-axis refers to feedback from road surface like bumps)
    MZ: 150 (Load on the MZ-axis refers to the twisting of the tire carcass while the wheel is turned)

BODY & SoP
    --------------
    SoP Scale: 50 (I've been using values closer to 100 for big cars like the Stock Car or the Trans-Am)
    SoP Lat: 0
    SoP Differential: 50
    SoP Damper: 0

Also remember that SPINDLE ARM ANGLE is a huge adjustment that cannot be made at the track... for certain cars that have 'snappy immediate FFB' try raising this - if it is 'loose and sloppy' try lowering it.

I've decided that probably the most important value here is SoP (Seat of Pants), because without it the FFB just seems broken. I think all sims these days include a certain amount of that feel and pCars retail release has this mostly disabled by default. A few of the cars that I thought had 'decent' FFB out-of-the-box all had SoP settings by default.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: banquer, mewle