Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Technical TroubleShooting Steps - WIP - NO CHAT PLEASE

Platform
    PC

Technical TroubleShooting Steps - WIP - NO CHAT PLEASE

Hi all, in order to keep this sub-forum clean, I'm trying to collate common troubleshooting steps to help you out to sort problems. This is very much Work in Progress and I'll be updating this very first post as much as I can.

Please post here solutions to problems you had so we can update first post and share. Do not discuss them here to keep this tidy and clean.

Performance Issues:
    Stuttering: If you happen to get a stuttering game-play, it might be caused because of the following:

• CPU Bottleneck: Project CARS Physics is quite heavy, even if you have a newish CPU, you might be limited here. Also if your GPU is powerful enough, it will produce a high number of frames and the CPU must cope with that.
      • Limiting the frame rate per second is a valid option. You can use and external tool (such as MSI Afterburner) or -fpscap 60 (60 as normal refresh rate for the screen) Launch Option within the game's properties in steam.
      • Closing background programs that might consume extra CPU power should help also.

• There's also a known issue with certain Xbox controllers on where force feedback causes stuttering. Try reducing FFB to 0% to reduce stutters.
    • Use Render Frames Ahead = 2 or 3 at least
    • Very high graphics setting: It is normal that users try to bump up everything to ULTTRA on the first day. Project CARS is pretty much next-gen everywhere so unless you REALLY have a powerful system, don't do that! First try default graphics settings. Don't be affraid, it looks gorgeous either way! Don't believe me, watch it here in AdrianF1's own video
    • AMD CrossFire: AMD is actively working closely with Slightly Mad Studios to enhance the overall performance of Project CARS in ADM GPUs. Up until Driver 14.xx, Crossfire didn't worked quite well. This was addressed in 15.3 and 15.4 Drivers. If you are a AMD GPU user, stick to 15.3/15.4 Drivers

• Also for AMD I've been pointed out that rising the power limit might ONLY without overclocking might help with performance.

AMD CPU user should DISABLE the auto-overclock in their BIOS !!

My Framerate is low / I can not hit constant 60 fps
    : Obtaining a high and constant framerate is VERY important in a racing game. For some users more than others. Some users might be using 120hz or 144hz monitor panels, on which higher frame rate is even more important.

• Again, Project CARS is very next-gen. Start with LOW settings, and try to raise them up little buy little.
    • Some settings have major impact, while some others not as much (described a few lines below)
    • Don't push antialiasing. Sometimes while driving you don't "need" as much AA since everything is moving so fast!
    • When racing in Rain, keep in mind that Reflections and Particles takes a major role in performance.

Graphics Setting Explanation and Impact - Suggested Setting
    : (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdUmhUhSgYk ==> Great video from CandyLand productions. Watch it!)
    Resolution: Self Explanatory - Normally as high as you can go
    Windowed:
    Self Explanatory - Normally NO
    Texture Resolution: Self Explanatory - Keep them as HIGH - This is the last I would touch
    Texture Filtering: Anisotropic Filtering - 8x or 16x for Mid-end/High-end system is fine.
    V-SYNC:
    Synchronizes frames output to your monitor refresh rate. Looks smoother, increase input lag - Driving with Wheel, I would suggest off. Using Keyboard or GamePad, try V-SYNC ON
    Anti-Aliasing: Increases image quality by reducing aliased lines - Settings are: MSAA, HIGH, DS2M, DS2X, DS4X, DS6X and DS9X. Prefer MSAA, HIGH and DS2M methods as those are specifically built and optimized. Start with MSAA even for High end system, tune up gradually.
    FXAA: different Anti Aliasing Method - It might introduce some Image Blurring. You might combine this with AA (example: AA= HIGH/ FXAA=LOW; Also you can use AA=NONE/FXAA=LOW) Using only FXAA LOW without Anti-Aliasing is very cool for Low/Mid end systems
    SMAA: another AA method. FXAA and SMAA can NOT be combined. Suggested OFF to start.
    Reflections: Self Explanatory - This is one of the overkill features. It looks nice indeed, but beware of performance!. Settings are off,low, med, high, ultra. Start with LOW even on high end system, If you drive Cockpit or bumper cam, you will *almost* not notice any graphical difference when keeping this to LOW.
    Environment Map: Related to reflections. - Same statement as before applies. Start with LOW
    Car Detail: Self Explanatory - Low/Medium/High/Ultra. Start with Medium/High. Only use ULTRA if you have very high-end system!
    Track Detail: Same as before - I start HIGH with this one, use ULTRA only if you see popping effects. Otherwise keep it at Med/High
    Shadow Detail: Self Explanatory. Affects performance very much. Start with Low/Medium
    Motion Blur: Self Explanatory - Use it if you like it. Low/Med/High equals the quality of the blur, not the ammount applied!
    Render Frames Ahead: Keeps a buffer of rendered frames for smoothness. Use 1 to reduce input lag/visual lag only on high end systems. Default value of 2 is OK for most cases.
    Detailed Grass: Self Explanatory - Better grass - Performance impact is high on this setting. I use either LOW or OFF. Keep in mind that if you use motion blur, then grass will look almost the same
    Particle Level: Self Explanatory - Normally doesn't affects too much the performance since it only works when you see smoke, dirt, etc. Medium for start is fine
    Particle Density: Same as before Medium
    Streched Headlight Reflections: Reflections of head and taillights in the asphalt. Looks Awesome! Specially in wet conditions. Performance impact is medium. Try with this setting ON as first

Application Hangs - Crashes:
    Many situations can lead to an app crash, I would try to compile most of the workarounds here:

• Background Applications: Antivirus, Logitech Profiler, Raptr, Geforce Experience, RadeonPro, FRAPS, MSI Afterburner, Open Broadcaster Software (OBS), and any other OSD related sofware (OSD are those that display something above the game such as Frames Per Second). For troubleshooting purposes, disable/close them all. Kill them from Task Manager if necessary.
    • Overclocking: Project CARS is very VERY demanding in all fronts, CPU (Physics for instance) and GPU (those nicely looking cars draw nice power from your GPU). Sometimes, even the slight overclocking can make the game crash. On my tests, only rising the voltage on my GPU made the game unstable. Even those "official overclockings" should be disabled for troubleshooting.
    • Virtual Memory / Low RAM: Project CARS consumes a considerable ammount of RAM (don't want to lie but it's about the 2GB Mark). This *could* potentially be an issue for low (4/6GB) RAM systems. Shouldn't be a problem for 8GB rigs. Be sure to check task manager before launching PCARS. As a workaround, close everything in background, and ensure that Virtual Memory (Windows Page File) is configured at least as System Managed. (Credit to Morgan Henstridge)

HUD Issues

• "Disable 3dvision/3dtvPlay in NVidia Control Panel. If it's enabled (even when not used in game) you won't have HUD and helmet overlay." (Credit to Morgan Henstridge!)

Last edited by Aldo Zampatti; 31-05-2015 at 16:29.
    Systems tested with Project CARS 2:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Core i7 4790K - nVidia GTX 1080ti - 16GB RAM (Desktop)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Core i7 7700HQ - nVidia GTX 1050 - 16GB RAM (Laptop)
    Core i7 6700HQ - nvidia GTX 980m - 8GB RAM (Laptop)
    Core i5 4670K - 2x AMD 7970 - 16GB RAM (Desktop)
    Core i7 4700HQ - nVidia 970M - 16GB RAM - (Laptop)

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuzzif View Post
    can some one help me i just downloaded project cars i boosted the video settings but i guess my gtx 980 video card couldnt handle it now i just get this error says exception access violation ? but it wont let me into game to change settings back? help please lol
    Delete Graphicsconfigdx1.xml file located at MyDocuments\Project CARS. that should reset your graphics profile. Please open a new thread later so we can keep this one clean.
    THANKS!

Platform
    PC
    As a baseline for anyone getting crashes, please do the following...

1) Ensure you have latest drivers.
    2) Set everything back to Stock clocks if you have been overclocking, including factory OCs.
    3) Disable any overlays in 3rd party software, eg Steam overlay, MSI afterburner OSD, Fraps OSD, etc.
    4) Disable Sweet FX / Reshade, Raptr, Razer Synapse and any other 3rd party application that affects the game &/or its files.
    5) Set -dx9 in the steam "Launch Options" for Project CARS.
    6) Set Virtual Memory to system managed.

Reboot and see if it runs for you.

- If it does run for you, then you can start turning things back on / overclocking etc, but only 1 at a time so you know what is responsible if the issue returns.

- If it still doesn't run, check the Windows Event Viewer for anything being logged at the time of your crash, as this will give an indication on where to start looking.
    - Search the Forum for any posts with similar issues and see if there are any resolutions you can try.
    - If there are no similar threads, create a new thread with your issue so we can assist you.

* Windows Event Viewer is in Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Main ones to check are Application and system. Check for anything logged at or just before your crash.
    Last edited by Morgan Henstridge; 10-05-2015 at 11:22.
    PC - || Corsair 600C || 1080 TI Founders Edition || AMD Ryzen 7 1800x || 16GB DDR4 4000mhz || Asus Crosshair VI Hero || EKWB 360 + 240 RAD Custom Loop (CPU / GPU) || Corsair AX1200 || Logitech G910 Orion Spectruim || Logitech G700 || Fanatec CSW v2 BMW GT & Formula Rims || Fanatec CSS SQ v1.5 || Fanatec CSP V3 Brake Performance Kit || Fanatec Handbrake || Simvibe || Logitech 5.1 Speakers || 2x Yamaha HS80 || Oculus Rift CV1 ||AOC 34" Ultra-Wide IPS || Synology DS1817+ || Windows 10 Pro x64 ||
    The following 4 users likes this Post: Aldo Zampatti, deadboy, macmac__, sailordude9980

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I followed your instructions, FPS are going up (from around 90 to now 135), but fences are still looking twitchy, shadows are a lot better now. Even tried some settings with Nvidia Inspector, you know that little tool, i am shure. But pCars doesnīt take care of these settings (sparse grid supersampling), looks like the game does totally ignore settings that are modified with nvidia inspector.
    Anyway, itīs better now and thanks for your help.
    Best Regards
    Karl Heinz Kluth

MSI X79MA-GD45 - Intel Core i7-3820 - 16 GB CORSAIR DDR3 - GTX970 - SAMSUNG SSD - LG BLURAYDISC - Windows 8 64 Bit
    The following user likes this Post: Aldo Zampatti

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Heinz Kluth View Post
    I followed your instructions, FPS are going up (from around 90 to now 135), but fences are still looking twitchy, shadows are a lot better now. Even tried some settings with Nvidia Inspector, you know that little tool, i am shure. But pCars doesnīt take care of these settings (sparse grid supersampling), looks like the game does totally ignore settings that are modified with nvidia inspector.
    Anyway, itīs better now and thanks for your help.
    Thanks for reporting back, but AFAIK, NvidiaInspector DO affect PCARS, ask around the screenshot thread, some guys run DSR on top of SMAA on top of FXAA with TXAA MSAA and AAA (to repair their cars) and AA when they drink too much! :P

Although, I don't have experience myself

The following user likes this Post: TheIronWolf

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo Zampatti View Post
    Thanks for reporting back, but AFAIK, NvidiaInspector DO affect PCARS, ask around the screenshot thread, some guys run DSR on top of SMAA on top of FXAA with TXAA MSAA and AAA (to repair their cars) and AA when they drink too much! :P

Although, I don't have experience myself
    Hmmm, just set AA in Nvidia Inspector to 32x [32x CSAA (8 color + 24 cv samples)] and AA Transparency Supersampling to 8x Sparse Grid Supersampling, what normally is an absolute framekiller, see attached screenshot. After saving those settings and starting pCars it looks still the same and frames are also around 130. In my case it looks like it doesnīt work. Or is there an ingame pCars setting, which has influence on it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pcars.JPG  

Best Regards
    Karl Heinz Kluth

MSI X79MA-GD45 - Intel Core i7-3820 - 16 GB CORSAIR DDR3 - GTX970 - SAMSUNG SSD - LG BLURAYDISC - Windows 8 64 Bit

Platform
    PC
    Please ask in the Screenshot thread, I have no idea and I'm sure it is not a bug of the game.
    Guys there will help you, big names in there, trust them!

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    you need to set the 3d settings in nvidia control panel to enhance appliction settings for nvidia inspector to work

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by dj_smurph View Post
    you need to set the 3d settings in nvidia control panel to enhance appliction settings for nvidia inspector to work
    I will give a try, thanks...
    Best Regards
    Karl Heinz Kluth

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    just a notice! i noticed when i change my anti aliasing to the recommended: DS2M i get very weird visuals, like mushroomed colors.
    dsx2 dsx4 no problems at all.
    Intel Core i7 4770K / 3.5 GHz - 8 MB cache - LGA1150+Cooler Master Hyper 412S , Asus R9290X-DC2OC-4GD5 ,Gigabyte Z87X-D3H - Moederbord - ATX - LGA1150 Socket - Z87 - USB 3.0 ,Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 8 GB , Crucial M500 - Solid state drive - 240 GB - intern - 2.5'' - SATA-600, Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 disk 3 TB - intern - 3.5" - SATA-600 - 7200 tpm -buffer: 64 MB, Cooler Master CM 690 III Window case |thrustmaster FFB wheel | sony bravia 65 inch full hd.