Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Technical TroubleShooting Steps - WIP - NO CHAT PLEASE

Kart Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapster View Post
    The guy's statement over on that other forum only makes sense if you are not using a frame cap of sorts and would only help with tearing and not stuttering.
    The OP recommendation to deal with stuttering is to use frame cap.
    But if you set frame cap set to listed multilpliers you will get tearing.

You can still get some if cap set in between which vsync can fix completely.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo Zampatti View Post
    It is one of the optimized because MSAA is a custom implementation of MultiSampling and DS2x is Custom implementation of downsampling. So if you force similar settings from a driver perspective, you'll get similar quality and less frame rate.
    Ah, now I understand. Of course, there are other optimizations other than PQ, IQ, etc.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
    But if you set frame cap set to listed multilpliers you will get tearing.
    Multiplier 1x = 60fps
    Most monitors = 60Hz

1 frame produced by GPU is displayed during 1 refresh of the monitor. You will not get screen tearing with this implementation because of the 1:1 (frame creation:frame display) ratio.

Setting a frame cap in game of, for instance, 63fps and then V-Sync in driver to Adaptive, as you would in some Nvidia cards. The GPU then limits sending frames to the monitor to a maximum of 60 times per second, giving you 60fps on a 60Hz monitor. Hence no tearing because the above applies.

Most graphical stuttering will occur on SLI systems and is inherent to those systems, unless other problems present on single GPU systems. (Look for frame time analysis.)
    OS: Windows 8.1 - Update 1 ♦ M/B: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ♦ CPU: i5-3570K - 4.3GHz ♦ GFX: Gigabyte GTX 970 (G1 Gaming) ♦ RAM: 8GB - 1600MHz - 8-8-8-20 ♦ AUDIO: ASUS Xonar DX ♦ WHEEL: Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari GTE

Kart Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapster View Post
    Multiplier 1x = 60fps
    Most monitors = 60Hz

1 frame produced by GPU is displayed during 1 refresh of the monitor. You will not get screen tearing with this implementation because of the 1:1 (frame creation:frame display) ratio.
    I suggest you to try it.
    In case the link didn't work properly.
    Tearing is about fps and screen refresh rate. Tears happen when the fps is a 1x, 1,2x, 1,25x, 1,33x, 1,5x multiplier of your screen refresh rate. If you really want to get the worst kind of tearing possible for 60Hz screen you run your fps at 60, 72, 80 or 90. If you run at these precise fps you see a tear (or more than one) in the screen somewhere that is either stationary or slowly goes up or down.

If you don't want tears but want fps cap you want to use fps cap that is not a precise multiply of your screen's refresh rate.

What is this precise multiply? Well let's imagine you are building a brick wall. The wall is 60 centimetres long. You have bricks that are 90 centimetres long. So you cut those 90 cm long pieces to 60 cm long and 30 cm long pieces. Then you start building your wall. As you build your wall you see that on every other row there is the a disconnection in the middle where you have put two 30 cm long bricks. Because 30 cm is exactly half of 60 cm you get the seam on the same place every single time.

If you had ordered say 77 or 83 cm long bricks and cut them to 60 + the other piece the seam would never be in the same position. For building that would look bad but for sim racing that is exactly what we want.

The thing is unless you are running vsync you always get screen tear. Always. But screen tears are only visible to human eye when they appear in the same place constantly. This is why using non-precise multiplies is important. With non-precise multiplies the screen tear appears almost randomly on the screen up or down or middle or where ever and because the tear only stays there 1/60th of a second it happens too fast for the human eye to spot it. (This doesn't mean going way above 60 fps on 60hz screen us useless though).

So if you want the most horrible screen tearing either use the exact same fps as is the refresh rate of your screen or one of the precise multiplies of those I mentioned earlier. If you don't want screen tearing you want to use multipliers that move the tear to different place on each screen refresh. 83 is a good number for 60 and 120hz displays.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
    I suggest you to try it.
    In case the link didn't work properly.
    I don't need to try it because I use Adaptive V-Sync.

Now, let's stop clogging up this thread with inane topics.
    OS: Windows 8.1 - Update 1 ♦ M/B: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ♦ CPU: i5-3570K - 4.3GHz ♦ GFX: Gigabyte GTX 970 (G1 Gaming) ♦ RAM: 8GB - 1600MHz - 8-8-8-20 ♦ AUDIO: ASUS Xonar DX ♦ WHEEL: Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari GTE

WMD Member
    So if I struggle to get my fps stabil and fluid I was informed to close any background programs like Fraps. How can I monitor my fps? Is there any built-in solution?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Great topic, will start from scratch with mine and do some benchmarking and see what she does.
    Thanks for taking the time.
    Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D. 360mm & 1260mm rads. Mobo: Asus Maximus Extreme IV - Z
    Cpu: Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.4ghz delidded and WC GPU's: 3x Radeon 7970's in Trifire @ 1200/1600 WC
    RAM: 16GB of Patriot DDR3 @ 2200mhz PSU: Ennermax 1500w SSD's: 2x Vertex 4 - 512GB
    Cooling: Alphacool VPP655 - D5 Pump. Audio: Dolby 7.1 with subwoofer
    Monitors
    : 3x BenQ 2420 120hz in Eyefinity at 5760x1080
    Wheel:
    Thrustmaster T500 RS wheel & pedals
    The following user likes this Post: Aldo Zampatti

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Nahkamarakatti View Post
    So if I struggle to get my fps stabil and fluid I was informed to close any background programs like Fraps. How can I monitor my fps? Is there any built-in solution?
    If you're not having crash issues, you can use FRAPS or SteamOverlay. (fraps cause the least amount of issues to me)
    Systems tested with Project CARS 2:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Core i7 4790K - nVidia GTX 1080ti - 16GB RAM (Desktop)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Core i7 7700HQ - nVidia GTX 1050 - 16GB RAM (Laptop)
    Core i7 6700HQ - nvidia GTX 980m - 8GB RAM (Laptop)
    Core i5 4670K - 2x AMD 7970 - 16GB RAM (Desktop)
    Core i7 4700HQ - nVidia 970M - 16GB RAM - (Laptop)

The following user likes this Post: Nahkamarakatti

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Nahkamarakatti View Post
    Presd CTRL + S for showing FPS
    OS : Windows 8.1 (Steam) - CPU : AMD Phenom II BE 940 - Graphic : MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming - Wheel : Logitech MOMO Force

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakete View Post
    Presd CTRL + S for showing FPS
    That's it is not a retail-exe valid command in PCARS

Was active in development only
    Systems tested with Project CARS 2:
    Core i7 4790K - nVidia GTX 1080ti - 16GB RAM (Desktop)
    Core i7 7700HQ - nVidia GTX 1050 - 16GB RAM (Laptop)
    Core i7 6700HQ - nvidia GTX 980m - 8GB RAM (Laptop)
    Core i5 4670K - 2x AMD 7970 - 16GB RAM (Desktop)
    Core i7 4700HQ - nVidia 970M - 16GB RAM - (Laptop)

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo Zampatti View Post
    That's it is not a retail-exe valid command in PCARS

Was active in development only
    Start steam software, choose upper left steam, then settings, now ingame. In the new box in the middle on the left side you can activate FPS display ingame. Also you can choose the position and a high contrast, which is light green ingame.
    The FPS notification isnīt very big, but itīs ok for the purpose.
    Best Regards
    Karl Heinz Kluth

MSI X79MA-GD45 - Intel Core i7-3820 - 16 GB CORSAIR DDR3 - GTX970 - SAMSUNG SSD - LG BLURAYDISC - Windows 8 64 Bit