Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Controller vs steering wheel

Banned
    Platform
    PS4

Controller vs steering wheel

It seems (looking the leaderboard) that majority ist on top places using steering wheel and it looks like that controllers will have a big gap in terms of times on a track, so, competitive racing (online) with controller will result with massive failure when chasing ppl with steering wheel.

So technically saying-I've payed 67 for what-nothing?!

Hmmmm......

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    I'm sure you read previews and watched some videos before the game was out. You should know that pCARS was more on sim side than a game. You should then expected that playing with controller would be hard. Still they did amazing job making it playable on ps4 controllers.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by dvc View Post
    I'm sure you read previews and watched some videos before the game was out. You should know that pCARS was more on sim side than a game. You should then expected that playing with controller would be hard. Still they did amazing job making it playable on ps4 controllers.
    You sir said it all right.

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by dvc View Post
    +1 to that.

Although I'm playing with a controller at the moment, with a little tuning and practice you can get pretty competitive times. Consistency is a different matter again.

Guys near the top of the lap record leaderboards are properly talented. You won't come across many of them in the online lobbies. Although there's always a few freaks on the controllers near the top end.

I don't see what you're complaining about, Iwanchek. Get some practice, get online and give it a go. Pretty sure most online racers at the moment are using controllers anyway. Just because someone has a wheel doesn't mean they'll beat me on the track
    The following 5 users likes this Post: Andy Mitchell, Rjrosco, TheJuzzy, vipco, WhiteFox

Platform
    PS4
    I wouldn't have bought this game if I didn't have wheel to tell the truth. It's a basic one (GT80), but it gets the job done.
    Actually, I'm pretty amazed on how much people who play with controllers still make it on the top leader boards of those events.
    Even with my steering wheel, I can't get near them for the moment, so don't worry about it that much for now and just practice, practice, practice...
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Andy Mitchell, pa_pinkelman, TheJuzzy

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwanchek View Post
    It seems (looking the leaderboard) that majority ist on top places using steering wheel and it looks like that controllers will have a big gap in terms of times on a track, so, competitive racing (online) with controller will result with massive failure when chasing ppl with steering wheel.

So technically saying-I've payed 67€ for what-nothing?!

Hmmmm......
    Just because you have a wheel doesn't make you a racing God. You'll find most wheel users are committed racing fans who have had experience in others games/sims. Of course you get a slight advantage, but you can still put in some fast laps with a controller with enough practice.

You've paid €67 for a game that was marketed as a sim from the beginning. Not to be rude but the only person I see at fault is you for not knowing what you were buying.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: hkraft300, MisterO, pa_pinkelman

Rookie
    Platform
    PS4
    Old noob question, I have justed started career yeserday with a controller, are there restrictions with regards to using steering and braking assist in the controller set up, I found this made racing the carts manageable. Also how does changing the skill level effect ranking up etc. I reduced to 40 from the standard 50, and do all right. When I started up after installation I chose Amateur level I should have chosen Novice. I am amazed to see guys posting saying they are winning and lapping the field at skill level 100.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Surely none is lapping the field on 100 unless a car has a problem or has crashed?

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFox View Post
    I wouldn't have bought this game if I didn't have wheel to tell the truth. It's a basic one (GT80), but it gets the job done.
    Actually, I'm pretty amazed on how much people who play with controllers still make it on the top leader boards of those events.
    Even with my steering wheel, I can't get near them for the moment, so don't worry about it that much for now and just practice, practice, practice...
    I have a T100 which regretfully I had to purchase just to play this game on ps4. I had a Logitech driving force gt. I will admit I am a little worried about driving with only a 270 degree of rotation. I won't really find out til next weekend as the game doesn't come out in the states til Tuesday. The T100 did alright with Iracing but I also only did indycar.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by tmitch45 View Post
    Surely none is lapping the field on 100 unless a car has a problem or has crashed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwanchek View Post

So technically saying-I've payed 67€ for what-nothing?!

Hmmmm......
    There will always be people who CAN do it with a controller but they are far and few in between. In my opinion there is no debate between a wheel and a controller. The wheel will win every time. When I first joined iracing back in 2010 I did it with a PC controller. I didn't really get consistent or good until I got a wheel. So my best advice to the controller racers is suck it up spend $80 on the T80 wheel or spend $120 on the T100 that has ff and watch how good you will be. I won't lie it takes some practice but once you are good with a wheel you will NEVER race with a controller again.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: dhevans79, TheJuzzy