Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tyre temperature?

Platform
    PS4

Question tyre temperature?

Guys what's the deal regarding getting tyre's up to temp?

I've been noticing I'm spending all my practice time sliding around the track on cold tyres therefore wasting my setup time as you can't set your car up on cold tyre's.

My tyres don't start to green until around lap 5/6 no matter what I set my tyres too from real to x7.

At the moment I'm just using my practices to warm up my tyre's and that's not what a practice is for.

Platform
    PS4
    Something not right here, I've just done the Caterham qualifier and my tyre's remained cold from start to finish, in practice it took 10 plus laps to get the tyre's up to temp but then as soon as I pitted to start doing my setups on my return my tyre's were stone cold again so i could not tell if my tuning worked, couldn't get tyres back to temp again as my time had run out.

So in short I couldn't set my car up and both practice and qualifications were done on cold tyre's,,,,, where am I going wrong?

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by wraithsrike View Post

I've been noticing I'm spending all my practice time sliding around the track on cold tyres therefore wasting my setup time as you can't set your car up on cold tyre's.

My tyres don't start to green until around lap 5/6 no matter what I set my tyres too from real to x7.

At the moment I'm just using my practices to warm up my tyre's and that's not what a practice is for.
    IIRC the color coded temperature in the standard HUD is using different values to change color depending on temperatures.

Try to switch to the telemetry HUD (standard button should be the Left D-Pad thing). Temps there are far more detailed. The colors(for each temp) there are also not limited to blue/green/red. It's also showing the real tire temperature in your selected measuring unit (C/F)

What you should know is the following:
    The colorcodes in the standard HUD are only switching to green when the tire is at it's ideal temp.If it's a few C under ideal it will show you blue, even though the tire is up to temp.
    CPU: i7 4770K | MoBo: ASUS Maximus VI Hero (C2) | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Gaming G4 | RAM: 16GB@1600MHz Kingston HyperX Blu Quad Kit
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    "It's beyond that though, it's the endemic issue of users being unable to accept the fact that sometimes developers will answer them in the manner their post deserves.
    Welcome to an honest forum."
    -Ian Bell, 2015

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by wraithsrike View Post

Whats the air temp? Whats the track Temp? Try lowering your tire pressure, and monitor it?
    I use the pCars Dash APP, to read out my tire temp...

Platform
    PC
    As far as I know, this is only happening with the road cars? If someone can confirm this and that it's not happening in race specs cars that would be useful. Also note, different tyre compounds take more or less time to get up to temperature with tyre pressures also taking a big part in the process too. Try either changing tyre compounds, dropping the tyre pressures a little to help aid this process, but weather conditions have a big part to play. Track is usually at it's hottest mid afternoon, so if you're practicing at night or early in the morning or sunset, the car will take longer to get temperatures up to optimal and it will be more difficult to hold them there.

With race spec cars you shouldn't really have any issues. If they don't come pre-heated, then usually I find it takes just over a lap to get them warmed up, and it's usually only on a second flying lap that I find temperatures around optimal (80-100 degrees C).
    Youtube Channel:

Twitter:

Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H | i7 4770K @ 3.54GHz | Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB 2400MHZ RAM | EVGA GTX770 SC 4GB | 250GB Samsung SSD | 5.5TB HDD Space | XFX Pro Series 750W PSU | Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    BenQ XL2420Z 24" 144Hz | Logitech Driving Force GT | Sennheiser PC360 | TrackIR 5
    The following 3 users likes this Post: DazzyD70, wraithsrike

Platform
    PS4
    Cheers guy's for the help, all seems to make sense, only thing is now and this may well be me being thick but I can't see the tyre temperature in the heads up? I can see brake temperature reading around 250 but not tyre temperature?
    Footnote :
    Xbox one

Kart Driver
    Same here

Ps4

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    my tyres seem to overheat quite a lot any suggestions on cooling them?

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanj98 View Post
    my tyres seem to overheat quite a lot any suggestions on cooling them?
    Drive less aggressively and up your tyre pressures a little, a few other tweaks to your setup will help as well. Also if you're running with ABS or TC off, be more cautious on the brake or throttle as that will cook the tyres if you're constantly locking brakes or wheel spinning out of corners.
    Youtube Channel:

Twitter:

Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H | i7 4770K @ 3.54GHz | Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB 2400MHZ RAM | EVGA GTX770 SC 4GB | 250GB Samsung SSD | 5.5TB HDD Space | XFX Pro Series 750W PSU | Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    BenQ XL2420Z 24" 144Hz | Logitech Driving Force GT | Sennheiser PC360 | TrackIR 5

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    #Yorkie065
    If my Rear Left tyre is overheating (RUF GT3 Catalunya GP TT), and i want to up the pressure to get a cooler tyre, should i up the pressures on all the others tyres as well, to keep a balanced guy?

And also i find it hard to hear/feel if the car is locking up (i don't know if its front or rear, because i mostly brake in a straight line, and gradually lift off the brake) - i dont have oversteer in corner entry, neither understeer.
    97 % pressure
    52 % front - 48 % rear

- and how do i know if im bottoming out? I don't hear any metal sounds in PCars when cornering, so i figured im not bottoming.
    DFGT with CSL Elite LC pedals on a Playseat Challenge chair.