Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Force Feedback Settings - Steering Settings, explanations, descriptions and how-to's?

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by nomen nescio View Post
    I bought pCars last night (pc version > DVD) and I'm overwhelmed with all the controller settings. My first language isn't English and it is impossible for me personally to understand what everything means.

SMS should indeed make a guide with a proper explanation of every controller setting. It is impossible to enjoy this game to the fullest without knowing which setting to change and how much.

I found some explanations here on this forum but not nearly enough to start "playing" with the settings. I don't even know what FFB clipping means. Not even to mention that "scoop" thing.
    Exactly my thoughts, and gathered by many threads and discussions most are feeling the same way.

The explanations in game menus are very poor, and there doesn't seem to be any enlightenment on the net as to what they mean, and what changing them will affect.

Taking out the small graphical issues and cars getting stuck in pits etc, this is a great game, pushing boundaries in graphics and physics, dynamic weather and time of day. It makes other racing games take notice.
    XB GT - Steel Jockey. Steam GT - STEELJOCKEY.Project CARS 2 GOLD Member
    FB AUS/NZ Combined Racing League YouTube Mrsteeljockey
    Xbox Scorpio,TS-XW, Sparco P310 rim, Protosimtech PT2 pedals, racing cockpit, Onkyo 7.1, Panasonic 55"
    Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming, i9-9900k, 32gb DDR4-2133, Aorus GTX 1080Ti Xtreme, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500gb, WD Blue 2tb HDD, Oculus Rift S

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    I must agree , that a pdf covering every force feedback setting and details would be extremely helpful . I havnt given up on ffb settings , spent countless hrs and hrs playing with it with some success .........

What worries me now is when this new patch comes everything will change again

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Prynne View Post
    I thought this might help some of you guys having problems setting up the FFB.

https://youtu.be/mlOdRTB4njY
    Hi thanks for this link, but this guy says hes using t300 "same as me" but he clearly says use PS4 button, where as i was advised to use PS3 button, both on thrustmaster drivers page and here, what should i now do? my ffb is shifting left to right, and i am trying to start from page one, but i dont know what is my starting point? with regards to these buttons? any help please

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by VALLEYSBOY View Post
    Hi thanks for this link, but this guy says hes using t300 "same as me" but he clearly says use PS4 button, where as i was advised to use PS3 button, both on thrustmaster drivers page and here, what should i now do? my ffb is shifting left to right, and i am trying to start from page one, but i dont know what is my starting point? with regards to these buttons? any help please
    I watched that video quite a while ago but im pretty sure he has it set to PS4 because that's the system he was playing it on in the video, I mean you could try putting it into PS4 mode and see what happens.
    HP Omen 880-P1XX | Intel i7 8700 3.2GHz | MSI Optix 27" 1440P |16GB DDR4 @2667MHz | GTX 1070 | Win 10 x64 | Fanatec CSR V2.5 | Clubsport V3 Pedals & TH8RS Shifter.

Moderator +WMD 1/2 Member Roger Prynne's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    If you want detailed info on the FFB take a look at the link in my sig.
    Last edited by Roger Prynne; 09-06-2015 at 11:18.
    Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX | CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz (4.20 GHz Turbo) 8x Core | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 | Memory: 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 2GB GDDR5 - (Driver: 385.69)| Displays: 55" LG 4K UHD TV @ 60Hz - 24" Monitor 1920x1080 @ 60Hz | PSU: Sea Sonic X - 850 Watt
    Storage: SSD 250GB Samsung 850 EVO x2 - 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata III x2 | Sound: X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro + 400W Technics 7.1
    Wheel: G25 & Pedals with Nixim mod springs (NO PROFILER USED) | RIG: Playseat Challenge | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A few helpful links for you

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    If you want detailed info on the FFB take a look at my sig.
    Ok i will hace a look through now many thanks for your time and everyones time who trys to help out

WMD Member
    If you want detailed info on the FFB take a look at the link in my sig.
    Roger, thanks for the guide. I have read it numerous times and am still having trouble wrapping my head around many of the technical terms. English is my primary language and I have a bachelors degree in aeronautical science, but much of what is in the guide is way over my head, as I am sure it is for many. By the way, I have been sim racing since before force feedback was even a thing.

I think what many of us are crying out for is a simple explanation as to what exactly each setting does in relation to how it will feel in the wheel. For example, when you explain in the relative clamp section, "This is the force to wheel value (so in the 0.0 to 1.0 range) where the non absolute running magnitude is clamped". I have no earthly idea what the non absolute running magnitude is. Much of the rest of the FFB explanations are like this, where terms are referred to that I have never heard in my life, so most of the explanations are useless to me.

I'd like to say that I appreciate the technical know-how that it takes to make all this stuff work. And I also know that FFB is a very personalized thing, and therefore it should be customizable to a certain degree. I just think there comes a point where the tools that we are given are useless because I don't know what any of it means. During the alphas and betas, I was in the 'more options the better' camp, but I think there is a point where it can be too much, and too complicated for even seasoned vets, myself included.

Going forward, it would be nice to have some canned settings to start with, along with a simple explanation for each setting as to what turning it up or down will feel like in the wheel, not what it technically does.

Again, I appreciate what WMD has created, because I think it has a great base and future ahead. A little more user friendliness would go a long way.
    The following user likes this Post: lethaLEEkill

Moderator +WMD 1/2 Member Roger Prynne's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Hi mattcwell, yes it is very hard to understand and get your head around isn't it, the explanations in my post in Jacks thread are not my own by the way but a copy and paste from a previous Guide written by our FFB guru AJ.

As you say FFB can be a subjective thing and trying to put all the different settings in an easy to read document is going to be hard as altering one value can then have a knock on effect on another and so on.

Have you tried Jacks FFB Tweakers as this is the best way to get started and you might even like them and never have to understand what they do.

There is a better explanation with examples and a diagram in the Attachment below but still might be difficult for some to understand.
    The examples contained in this document might help as well.

pCarsFFBGuide20150416.zip
    Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX | CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz (4.20 GHz Turbo) 8x Core | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 | Memory: 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 2GB GDDR5 - (Driver: 385.69)| Displays: 55" LG 4K UHD TV @ 60Hz - 24" Monitor 1920x1080 @ 60Hz | PSU: Sea Sonic X - 850 Watt
    Storage: SSD 250GB Samsung 850 EVO x2 - 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata III x2 | Sound: X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro + 400W Technics 7.1
    Wheel: G25 & Pedals with Nixim mod springs (NO PROFILER USED) | RIG: Playseat Challenge | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A few helpful links for you