Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you change the look of your car in career mode?

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkiv View Post
    If it's hardcore, then why are there any options to drive outside of a wheel? Why are there "arcade" options, such as best line, steering assist, and braking assist? Why is there even an option to turn damage, fuel usage, and tire wear below realistic? Why is there a way to enable TCS, ABS, etc on cars which do not feature them?
    Because it's like any other sports game. If I fire up a new season in NHL 15 "be a pro" mode, I get drafted by a team, and i'm forced to wear their default uniform. That doesn't mean I can't turn pass assist up, or turn AI learning down. But the mode is meant to be immersive and realistic in its implementation.

I would agree that maybe we should be able to have custom helmets but otherwise I don't see why they should break the realism of "being a pro" by giving people the ability to paint their cars.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryHoodlum View Post
    Because it's like any other sports game. If I fire up a new season in NHL 15 "be a pro" mode, I get drafted by a team, and i'm forced to wear their default uniform. That doesn't mean I can't turn pass assist up, or turn AI learning down. But the mode is meant to be immersive and realistic in its implementation.

I would agree that maybe we should be able to have custom helmets but otherwise I don't see why they should break the realism of "being a pro" by giving people the ability to paint their cars.
    If you're going for immersion and realism, that absolutely means you cannot turn pass assist up or AI learning down. What's the point of being realistic and immersive if you're just going to break it with arcade settings? That's like saying, "I'm the best shot in the entire world - if I stand 5 feet from the target with an extra large x-ring."
    CPU: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz GPU: EVGA GTX Titan X RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb @ 2400 CL10 MOBO: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
    PSU: Corsair CX850M COOLING: Corsair H100i SSD: 2x OCz Agility 3 60Gb RAID-0 HDD: 2x Western Digital 2Tb Green CASE: Cooler Master 932 Advanced
    DISP: 3x 22" IPS @ 5760x1080 Surround WHEEL: Logitech G27 KB: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate MOUSE: Razer Naga Epic SOUND: Razer Kracken 7.1

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    There no customisation at all in career mode other than Ai strength.... could really do with allowing a few things to be managed by the user.

Adjusting the number of Ai / laps / time / weather, would be handy if only to allow us to play it on sub-ultra PCs !!!

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkiv View Post
    If you're going for immersion and realism, that absolutely means you cannot turn pass assist up or AI learning down. What's the point of being realistic and immersive if you're just going to break it with arcade settings? That's like saying, "I'm the best shot in the entire world - if I stand 5 feet from the target with an extra large x-ring."
    Or maybe the devs want to make sure that everyone is having fun while also giving the ability (hopefully by default) to have a realistic sim experience. If I pay $60 and then realize the game is too realistic and decide it's not for me, I'd end up cursing the devs for not giving the option to tone it down. That's the point of having sliders to adjust minute details, but not to change the very way in which the mode operates. Seems like you're having trouble separating those two things.

You can't "break" something that is offline and for entertainment purposes by making it more accessible for you. Online is a different story.

Platform
    PC
    Or maybe the devs want to make sure that everyone is having fun while also giving the ability (hopefully by default) to have a realistic sim experience. If I pay $60 and then realize the game is too realistic and decide it's not for me, I'd end up cursing the devs for not giving the option to tone it down.
    You cannot have a realistic sim experience by using unrealistic settings - "Realistic" being the highest level of real-world driving detail and physics in which the game aspires to reproduce as accurately as possible.

That's the point of having sliders to adjust minute details, but not to change the very way in which the mode operates. Seems like you're having trouble separating those two things.
    By changing the sliders, you are changing the very way in which the mode operates. The separation between "those two things" is subjective, and only exists because you have said it exists. There is no standard or convention which you're applying that is relevant to your argument - You simply say it, and so assume it is thus.

You can't "break" something that is offline and for entertainment purposes by making it more accessible for you. Online is a different story.
    While one one hand I am obviously being hyperbolic, it is on the other hand that my argument still applies - You're either actually simulating a "real" racing experience, or you're not.

Anyhow, this is far beyond my original satirical assertion; If there are multiple options to turn a racing simulator into an arcade racer - in all modes - then why not have a couple colour choices available when signing to a team? For those "hardcore" purist types, there could even be a "default" or "real" livery skin available as first choice. For those that would rather the vehicle be of different colour, is it really going to break the game more than having a car receive zero damage?
    CPU: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz GPU: EVGA GTX Titan X RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb @ 2400 CL10 MOBO: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
    PSU: Corsair CX850M COOLING: Corsair H100i SSD: 2x OCz Agility 3 60Gb RAID-0 HDD: 2x Western Digital 2Tb Green CASE: Cooler Master 932 Advanced
    DISP: 3x 22" IPS @ 5760x1080 Surround WHEEL: Logitech G27 KB: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate MOUSE: Razer Naga Epic SOUND: Razer Kracken 7.1

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by flymar View Post
    In career you drive your team "colours" so you can only choose the team before signing contract.
    while I think it would be a nice idea to allow customizing the look for online races, that makes sense and since your in "career mode" , you should be in thenteam colors.
    Epson Px-8 @2Mhz |CP/m V2.23 128k ram 480x64 Ultra!

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    I really like it actually that you cannot change the look of your car. It gives a nice feeling of reality when driving in career mode. It's those small things that add up to a great SIM

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by TMoney View Post
    I honestly think this should have been handled differently. There should be a generic messsge about starting a career in your chosen disclipline. Then you should be able to scroll through all applicable cars and select the team you want to drive for. Then we should get the email about signing the contract with whatever tream you have chosen. Would certainly make the career feel more diverse and personal. Biggest problem now is not being able to see the cars before signing. No one cares about the fictional team names but rather what the CAR looks like. This would be especially nice in the single car series.
    I like that idea a lot! It would be nice to see what the team livery's look like before signing, similar to Grid Autosport. There are plenty of invitational events though, and you can choose your livery in those.
    PC: Windows 10, i7-4790k, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 1080Ti, BlasterX G5 USB, Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, Oculus Rift
    Simrig: Obutto oZone, Simvibe w/Buttkicker Gamer 2, ClubSport Wheel Base V2 (w/BMW rim), ClubSport V2 Pedals, ClubSport Shifter SQ 1.5, ClubSport Handbrake
    The following user likes this Post: TMoney

Rookie
    Platform
    PC

exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by dave_arnett View Post
    I'm not hamilton or rosberg. I'm sitting at home in my pants driving a car on the screen haha. It is a racing game. I just wanted to change the colour of my car.
    Dude I completely agree with you. I just spent the last 2 days meticulously designing a custom livery for a Formula C car and all I wanted to do was race a whole season with it; see MY race number, MY paint scheme, etc... Now while I'm sure many hardcore fans care dearly about pure accuracy when it comes to the career experience of a driver, I could give a rat's ass about the restrictions of true realism. Clearly I am not the only one who thinks so. Grounds for a fan war over who's right or wrong and who's preference makes it into the game? HELL NO! IT'S A DAMN COMPUTER PROGRAM AND COMPUTER PROGRAMS ALLOW FOR............ OPTIONS!!! Holy crap?! What a concept?! Give both sides what they want i.e. "Sim Career" and "Custom Career"... Why there is a debate instead of this simple solution is beyond me. I swear people just love arguing, its ridiculous.

WMD Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Prange View Post
    You really need to look at it the way career is set up. You're the race car driver and you sign with a team to drive their car.

Do you think a driver gets a say in what the colors of the car are like? It's all about simulating the experience of being a professional race car driver
    That would be a valid argument if the cars had only real liveries ( la F1 201X), or at least if the teams' names were in accordance with the livery (instead of having Torque Riders or w/e own a BMW GTE with what is clearly a BMW Motorsport livery, for example)