Thread: Car Tuning & Setup

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4

Question Car Tuning & Setup

Just thought i would start this!

How are people finding car set up, i feel there is so many options i don't know where to start.

Like the car feels fine, but i am just wondering is there anyway i can get more out of the car?

Or has the game go the best setup ready to go on the car or is it a safe setup for all types of racers that suit everyone?

Whats your opinions on it?

Platform
    PC
    Main Rig: CPU I7 4790K@Stock | GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | RAM 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 | SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | HDD Seagate SATA 1TB | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Wheel Logitech G27
    Second Rig: CPU Q6600@2,80GHz | GPU Nvidia GTX 460 1GB | RAM 4GB DDR2 800Mhz | MB ASUS P5Q SE2 | HDD WD SATA 320GB | O.S. Win 7 64bit
    STEAM ID: Bealdor

The forum search is a powerful tool, if you know how to use it...

Please check out our Project CARS 2 FAQ and Tips

PCARS 1 Known Issues threads: PC / PS4 / XB1

Moderator+WMD 1/2 Member Siberian Tiger's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    The Standard Setups are designed for a stable Car. Not necessary a fast Car^^

The most effective Setup Work where you don't have to know much about cars is the Gearing.

Test it on Track and set i so, that you just reach the Limiter on the longest Straight in the highest Gear.
    Then you can tune it further. If you have for example many turns on which you have to shift early up in let's say 2nd Gear. Try to make this Gear a little bit longer..

And so on and so on.

Also the Fuel-Level is important!

In some Cars you can watch your average Fuel consumption per Lap (Motec Display). Now set the Fuel Level so that you have a little bit left over the whole Race...

I be sure some setup gurus will write here also some things...

(I'm just doing Basic Stuff by myself )
    Member Status: WMD 1 Senior x3 / WMD2 Gold
    Portable System: Dell XPS 17 Notebook CPU: Intel Core i7-2670QM @2.2 GHZ , RAM: 8GB, GPU: NVIDIA GForce GT555M, HDD: WD 2.5" Notebook 500GB, OS: Windows 7 64-bit,Wheel: Logitech G25, Sound: NVidia Onboard Soundcard
    Gaming System AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 / i7 7700K with Antec H2o 920 Liquid Cooling System / PSU: Be Quiet! Straight Power E9 680W / GPU: MSI Gaming GTX1070 (OC) / RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance / SSD: 250GB Samsung Basic 840 / HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Black / OS: Windows 7 64-Bit / Wheel: Thrustmaster T500RS - Standart GT Rim / Monitor: Epson EH-TW3200 Homecinema 16:9 Full HD Beamer / RacingSeat: Playseat with some Modifications...

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Thanks for you help, there is just so many options available! The possibilities are endless!! Amazing game!!

Half of the time the settings won't save for me, especially on the BMW Procar, nearly every time I go back to the garage (after an off) all the settings are back to the way they were a couple of saves before. And don't even get me started on the stupid gear ratios not working, it's pathetic, it was like this 2 years ago when I pulled my money out of the project..
    CPU i7 4770K@4.5Ghz | Memory 16Gb 2400Mhz RAM | Mobo Maximus VI Extreme-Z | GPU EVGA 780GTX 2560x1440 | Monitor Acer XB270HU | OS Win7 Home x64 | Storage 4 x SSD total 1.5Tb / 2 x HDD total 2.5TB | Wheel Fanatec CSW-BMW & Formula rim + Elite Pedals | Misc TrackIR-5

Cheers,
    Andy

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Siberian Tiger View Post

I personally have not found this to be the case. I've been playing racing games since GT one, and I know this game is far more sim, but damn if I don't have snap, throttle-on oversteer with half the cars. I get about 50% through corner exit, and boom I'm backwards. The fact its practically impossible to counter-steer with a xbox one controller, and the fact that vibration feed back on the same controller is pretty much FUBAR'ed in version 1.0 is not helping me.

I'm still saving up for a wheel though. I hope it will improve the game.

Platform
    PS4
    For my ps ds4 controller and style of driving I found several cars to be quite friendly with the default setup. These cars will be drivable on bumpy tracks but will have terrible feel on flat tracks with high speed corners for example. A few guys and myself would take these and run a private lobby with long qualification and gently tweaking only 1 area at a time we'd make changes and have a 3-5 lap run, discussing along the way. Quite fun.

But there's a video series on yt which is certainly a good way to learn as you tune. It suggest starting with cars like Formula Rookie, which have fewer basic parts to adjust and when you're accustomed to tuning those things like ride height etc move on to the next tier which will have more options to adjust. By the time your doing LMP1 you'll be fully qualified

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Siberian Tiger View Post

The most effective Setup Work where you don't have to know much about cars is the Gearing.

Test it on Track and set i so, that you just reach the Limiter on the longest Straight in the highest Gear.
    Then you can tune it further. If you have for example many turns on which you have to shift early up in let's say 2nd Gear. Try to make this Gear a little bit longer..

And so on and so on.

Also the Fuel-Level is important!

In some Cars you can watch your average Fuel consumption per Lap (Motec Display). Now set the Fuel Level so that you have a little bit left over the whole Race...

I be sure some setup gurus will write here also some things...

(I'm just doing Basic Stuff by myself )
    This guy is right. You can really find a lot of time just by tuning some of the basic things. Aero/brakes/tire pressure/fuel load/gearing/steering ratio are probably the most straight forward options to tune, and will improve your setup a lot. On most cars you don't have to mess with the other more complex settings to get a fast setup.

edit: also on most setups you can gain some easy speed by simply closing up the radiator and brake ducts a bit. don't be too aggressive though or it will cause overheating.
    Last edited by JDFSSS; 25-05-2015 at 14:55.

Platform
    PS4
    http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...s-Tuning-Sorry i forgot the link. Start with the very 1st video on why tuning is needed. Then the series of 2a to 2f videos will keep you tweaking the right things to improving your faves. I do not know or have any affiliation with the creator, but id recommend them to peoples requiring assistance. They're very easy to follow and let me drive cars with no assists I couldn't drive prior (even with assist on lol)

If link doesn't work just yt TandZproduction
    Guide-Spring-amp-castor-guide-(3C-amp-3D)-Now-live!

Platform
    PS4
    http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...s-Tuning-Sorry i forgot the link. Start with the very 1st video on why tuning is needed. Then the series of 2a to 2f videos will keep you tweaking the right things to improving your faves. I do not know or have any affiliation with the creator, but id recommend them to peoples requiring assistance. They're very easy to follow and let me drive cars with no assists I couldn't drive prior (even with assist on lol)

If link doesn't work just yt TandZproduction
    Guide-Spring-amp-castor-guide-(3C-amp-3D)-Now-live!