Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there any point in community events with so much corner cutting??

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1

Question Is there any point in community events with so much corner cutting??

Hi guys, I just wanted to raise this topic as its one that for me needs some attention, and I will explain why without coming across as being negative.

Firstly, "this is not a game, this is a simulator" is what is all over these forums, and I totally agree, it really is and I love it!!!, but theres an issue with these so called " Pro Hotlappers " who set lap times by cutting corners, bouncing off walls and doing whatever is possible to set ridiculous lap times. You get them on every racing game. You ever played forza or PGR for e.g?, set what you think was a quick time and see the people at the top and they've beat your time by like 10 seconds or more, and you think "how the hell?" Well its happening a lot on this game, and it will until theres patches and fixes put in place to make it as difficult as possible for people to abuse the rules and basically cheat.

Now whats irritating is that theres a lot of corners that can be easily cut in the game, (eg. turn 1 on Monza and Monaco) and valuable seconds can be gained by doing this, and Project cars has community events that offer prizes for coming first, which is absolutely fantastic from the guys at SMS, but the problem is at the top of these leaderboards are people who are taking advantage of the bugs in the game by corner cutting and cheating, which I don't believe is fair to the gamers (like myself) that want to race fair and obey the rules, as in real life, surely thats what a simulator should be about? You don't see Lewis Hamilton cutting corners to get on pole every week, and if he did he would get penalised, and rightly so!

I don't want to go on about it, but its also affecting online play, with people cutting corners to gain positions, so Id just like to know what, when and how will this problem be resolved so people who have genuinely tried to set great lap times can be rewarded and not someone who spends there time searching for the quickest way to cheat! Hot lappers belong in "games" not simulators!!! Im expecting some sarcastic responses here (there will be haters lol ) but if anyone else shares my view please speak up because its I don't believe it should be so prominent in a racing simulator as realistic and as good as Project cars.
    Last edited by robnroll88; 10-05-2015 at 14:40.
    The following 4 users likes this Post: deedriver, gamegod, koikeeper67, Synergist

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Do you really think they'd give prizes out with first verifying the fastest lap times making sure not they are valid and legal? I doubt for one minute they'll just pick the fastest time and announce them as the winner.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Totally agree. How so many of these cutting corner issues got beyond the "community" in the last 3 years amazes me. I don't care so much for the leaderboard aspect of it but people will do what they need to do online to gain places in a race, and that includes cutting (severely) many corners and not getting penalties for it. That's not racing.
    The following 4 users likes this Post: Joethe147, koikeeper67, robnroll88, vowthyn

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBadHuskerFan View Post
    people will do what they need to do online to gain places in a race, and that includes cutting (severely) many corners and not getting penalties for it. That's not racing.
    Exactly !!

WMD Member
    Now I don't know how prize allocation is for this competition, but we had a Thrustmaster (I think!) prize competition a few years back for WMD members...

Prizes were NOT given by times set, you simply had to set a "legal" time to be part of the draw, which IIRC was live streamed.
    i7 5820k @ stock (for now) | Gigabye X99 Gaming 5P | 16GB DDR4 3000MHz @2133 (for now) | Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | Fanatec GT3 RS v1 & Clubsport Pedals | Windows 10 home| Samsung 512GB NMVe | 512GB MX100 SSD | BenQ XL2730Z
    The following user likes this Post: cluck

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Gonna have to disagree with you on the forza part of your post. Cutting corners in forza has 2 major things that keep it from being used to cheat laptimes and project Cars would do well to copy them.

First anytime you go off track in forza your laptime is invalidated. More importantly the game adds time penalties to your lap for cutting.

Second if a corner cut is seen by the devs as a way to shave distance meaning it would allow you to easily catch up or pass people racing thame game instantly slows your car down to about 5mph. There are tons of corners on forza where cutting is possible but doing so will put you so far behind you would be stupid to do so.

Either you don't have much experience with forza or you have a short memory as forza is easily one of the most strict games when it comes to corner cutting.
    The following user likes this Post: stux

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by N0body Of The Goat View Post
    Now I don't know how prize allocation is for this competition, but we had a Thrustmaster (I think!) prize competition a few years back for WMD members...

Prizes were NOT given by times set, you simply had to set a "legal" time to be part of the draw, which IIRC was live streamed.
    when you set a time with the current competition there is no option at the end stating that lap times need to be verified, so I don't know either, if say on xbox you had to send a clip of your lap times to the Upload community to prove you didn't cheat then fair enough, but if you don't have to prove it how will anyone know??

WMD Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBadHuskerFan View Post
    Totally agree. How so many of these cutting corner issues got beyond the "community" in the last 3 years amazes me. I don't care so much for the leaderboard aspect of it but people will do what they need to do online to gain places in a race, and that includes cutting (severely) many corners and not getting penalties for it. That's not racing.
    What you and others need to understand is that WMD were constantly (and still do) provide feedback to the devs in the WMD forum, but the order in which bugs are squashed has to be decided by the dev team.

We were constantly getting things like track updates in daily builds, so cut detection could work on one version of a track and be messed up by an a track update.

And dev team members have specific roles, it is no good asking the artist do do physics coding because there is nothing to be drawn, if the artist has inferior knowledge of physics coding.
    i7 5820k @ stock (for now) | Gigabye X99 Gaming 5P | 16GB DDR4 3000MHz @2133 (for now) | Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | Fanatec GT3 RS v1 & Clubsport Pedals | Windows 10 home| Samsung 512GB NMVe | 512GB MX100 SSD | BenQ XL2730Z

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by N0body Of The Goat View Post
    What you and others need to understand is that WMD were constantly (and still do) provide feedback to the devs in the WMD forum, but the order in which bugs are squashed has to be decided by the dev team
    In fairness though, i think the point Onebadhuskerfan was making was that in the 3 or four years the game has been made your saying no one noticed you can cut Turn 1 at Monaco and at Monza.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by robnroll88 View Post
    when you set a time with the current competition there is no option at the end stating that lap times need to be verified, so I don't know either, if say on xbox you had to send a clip of your lap times to the Upload community to prove you didn't cheat then fair enough, but if you don't have to prove it how will anyone know??
    Because there is ghost data...