Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Car setup guides.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Then theres anti squat, anti lift, anti tramp, anti dive forces that can be effected through adjustments in the aero, diff, damper, anti roll bar, bumpstop, dampers and brake bias settings, even the ride heights can influence all this. The default car settings are not optimised, trial and error is a very slow way to tune if you don't know or trust what you're doing, even then what are you looking for? A fast lap? What sounds should the car make? Should it handle from cold? Do I use first gear? Whats a tractive curve? Is shifting into peak torque that important? Sorry if I'm sounding like a kill joy but theres no short cut to tuning. The pdf is a waste of text in my opinion.
    Last edited by MULTIVITZ; 05-06-2015 at 11:09.

Platform
    PC
    Because the guide it isn't in depth explaining the underlying physics doesn't mean it's wrong. The guide is not meant to be a replacement for a physics course, it's a fast way for people with little experience setting up a car to get a good base to start with. I understand the guide isn't your thing, and that's ok.
    | Intel 3570K (4,7 Ghz) | 16 GB DDR3 | Asus Strix GTX 970 | LG 34uc97 3440x1440 | Samsung 256GB SSD | Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari GTE Wheel | Win7_x64.1 |

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    The guide looks fine to me and I also have "an extensive knowledge of vehicle dynamics"

The only bit that maybe doesn't apply in Project Cars is the setting of tyre pressures/cambers by looking at the temperature readings - but that's only because the PC temperature readings aren't helpful for this.
    The following user likes this Post: Joris GvK

Platform
    PS4
    I am not studied (but very interested) about vechicle dynamics. I am interested termodynamics and aerodynamic of racing cars. I found from Google Gran Turismo: Beyond Apex -PDF-document. That is very good. First in this guide is Physics of automobile, then Mechanics of car (what parts car have and what task tose parts have) and last chapter is how to tuning car. Very good and make me understand cars better.
    The following user likes this Post: Joris GvK

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    The pdf offered in this thread is a fools guide to vehicle setup. It won't couldn't and don't state the most important things to look for when seting up. A good guide would do that, don't you think? A car can be setup in many, many ways. The setups frequency can add grip to some surfaces, engine torque at the differential effects the axle heights in turn effect the roll centers and aero grip. I would tell everyone the most important thing, but people would debate that, and through the discussion would have contradictions because they read something, or got taught by someone who read something and have not gone out and actually tried the something to see how valid it was. Get some recommended books, get used to the language of car tuning, do experiments to explore adjustment effects, learn to drive, learn driving techniques and the logic behind the use of them. Study the maths behind the physics of chassis dynamics then start to tune. All I'm saying is if the author has done this I would have thought his guide would be different, sorry I really mean correct.
    Last edited by MULTIVITZ; 17-05-2015 at 10:22. Reason: adding content

Platform
    PS4

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    The guide shouldn't be anyone's thing, the author wrote it to massage his ego that was formed through his undertaking of what he would consider lots of facts and information. What he don't know is he's leading you up the garden path due to the fact the the subject is emence and finding important facts that give grounding to the subject is a daunting task, unless you really know what you're doing. Whats that, tyre temps on Pc don't matter, another comment that was made in haste, what about the temps after some hard cornering or a long easy corner, or after the tyres worn down, or after some heat soak from an under cooled brake! That pdf guide isn't fit for dumbies but it would suit idiots?
    The following user likes this Post: DJBLITZKRIEG

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by donpost View Post
    The guide looks fine to me and I also have "an extensive knowledge of vehicle dynamics"

The only bit that maybe doesn't apply in Project Cars is the setting of tyre pressures/cambers by looking at the temperature readings - but that's only because the PC temperature readings aren't helpful for this.
    Some chassis maintain a good camber give the tyres a fairly even temp, this game has the cream of the crop of chassis. The negative camber allows the outer edge to cool(say on the straight away?), plus the inner edge gets scrubbed on the inner most tyres in a corner, heating it. If you don't understand use logic then ask someone who might understand and listen to them, go back and confirm for yourself?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Sorry I forgot to mention the fact that tyres lose their heat to the ground too. Also toe heats the tyres if you want it to! Downforce heats the tyres through many actions not just you driving around a corner fast!
    Last edited by MULTIVITZ; 17-05-2015 at 11:08. Reason: grammer

Platform
    PC
    @Multivitz, Are you ok man ? Your posts are a bit of a wall of text and I find it hard to get something useful out of it. With your extensive knowledge of car setups, do us all a favour and write a "good" guide .
    Until then I and others are doing fine with the guide from race department, you didn't miss that link did you, and with the 21 -step setup guide from LmS. Thanks.
    | Intel 3570K (4,7 Ghz) | 16 GB DDR3 | Asus Strix GTX 970 | LG 34uc97 3440x1440 | Samsung 256GB SSD | Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari GTE Wheel | Win7_x64.1 |
    The following 5 users likes this Post: Bubbs, dav1980rfc, FA RACING 01, LipstickL, watchumacallit