Page 139 of 239 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149189 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 2385

Thread: The AI discussion (all platforms)

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcul View Post
    Ai in the open wheels definitely need a bit of work with their overtaking skills..
    I agree but I also think that the AI needs some better recognition of when they lose a position. I find a lot of my problems stem from gaining inside position down a straight away, being clearly in front of the AI then taking the racing line into the corner. The AI often tries to seemingly enter the corner beside me where a more realistic approach would be for the AI to slow, give up the position and then try to gain it back on corner exit.

I also think the majority of big issues I see are in chicanes. Almost like the AI treats it as 2 completely different corners instead of 1. Doing so leads to AI cars jumping curbs in a desperate attempt to overtake (or maintain position) in a fashion that will never work. I'm all for aggressive AI, but it needs to be done in a way that represents proper racing. Currently there are many things the AI is doing which isn't an accurate representation for a simulator.
    The following 7 users likes this Post: chastewand, cpl, CrustyA, Mad LL, robdok, Schnizz58, Tomcul

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcul View Post
    Ai in the open wheels definitely need a bit of work with their overtaking skills..
    Sure. I'm currently engaged on the Formula Rookie career, I find the opponents are too much aggressive while are behind and often ram the player.
    Furthermore, if AI is on the green, the behavior is basically the same if is on the track
    The following user likes this Post: Tomcul

WMD Member
    They do spin off track or get stuck somewhere but it happens fairly rare.

I just had another race with a yellow with a Ruf stuck at the hairpin.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Rickard View Post
    I was responding to the bit where you suggest the order remains mostly static throughout the race after the first lap and the field spreads out. It just needs a nice balance and some variability.
    The only things in real life racing which add that variability is mainly:

1. Mechanical failures
    2. Pitstops strategy

If someone is only ever running sprint races, then there will be little variation once beyond the first lap just like in real life. Once people sort themselves out speed-wise in the short races, that's how it ends up. I will admit, I'm not sure I would like to see random mechanical failures appear. I was pretty frustrated with Codemaster's version of random mechanical issues in their F1 series. Personally, I like the fact that the AI is pretty consistent. It means you have to run a really good race to place and/or beat them.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Roger Prynne, Sankyo

Quote Originally Posted by Remco Van Dijk View Post
    I'm pretty sure that they can spin. They are, however, on simplified tyre physics, which could make it harder for them to spin. Plus, they have perfect and instant reactions to mishaps.
    I've had over 700 hours on Pcars (hell where has my life gone) and not once have I seen the AI spinout +180 degrees and never a 360 degrees spin. They have some sort of magical rubber band on the front axle that pivots them around in line when their tale slides out too wide. I think it's a disease caught from AC. Even old game titles had the physics to do this, but it seems it's impossible these days.
    I'd be happy to be proven wrong by some video evidence.
    Mobo:Gigabyte H77-D3H-MVP CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz Memory:16Gig
    Graphics:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 - Driver382.53| Display: BenQ G2420HD 1920x1080 @ 60Hz | Power supply: 700 Watt
    Sound:
    NVIDIA High Definition Audio. Logitech G35 Headset Wheel: Logitech Formula Force USB - the red one (NOT using Profiler). Using Saitek_R440_Force_Wheel Windows 7 driver | OS: MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by xterminator24 View Post
    I also think the majority of big issues I see are in chicanes. Almost like the AI treats it as 2 completely different corners instead of 1. Doing so leads to AI cars jumping curbs in a desperate attempt to overtake (or maintain position) in a fashion that will never work. I'm all for aggressive AI, but it needs to be done in a way that represents proper racing. Currently there are many things the AI is doing which isn't an accurate representation for a simulator.
    I agree with this statement. In the GT4 Monza video I took a while back, If I was able to get by them on the first turn it was almost guaranteed that they'd either cut the track or run into me on the 2nd turn.
    CPU: Core i7 4770 3.4G | RAM: 8GB | GPU: Titan X Pascal | OS: Win 10 x64 | Screen: Sony 43" 4k TV / CV1 | Wheel: Fanatec CSW V2 | Pedals: ProtoSImTech PT-1

WMD Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
    The only things in real life racing which add that variability is mainly:

1. Mechanical failures
    2. Pitstops strategy

If someone is only ever running sprint races, then there will be little variation once beyond the first lap just like in real life. Once people sort themselves out speed-wise in the short races, that's how it ends up. I will admit, I'm not sure I would like to see random mechanical failures appear. I was pretty frustrated with Codemaster's version of random mechanical issues in their F1 series. Personally, I like the fact that the AI is pretty consistent. It means you have to run a really good race to place and/or beat them.
    I was referring to consistency. Watch something like a Ginetta Junior race and there will be almost constant battles with drivers swapping places, slowing each other down and allowing other drivers to catch the group and join in the melee. Also at this level people make more mistakes like running wide, putting a wheel on the grass, car contact etc. All in a short sprint race for 10 laps or so. From an intensity point of view I think these are great for sim racing as a form of entertainment.

Moderator +WMD 1/2 Member Roger Prynne's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by lacslyer View Post
    Perhaps I misunderstand then. What exactly are you referring to when the AI is making bad choices? Choices that are bugs that need to be fixed?
    I'm referring to some of the overtaking/cutting moves at some corners mostly.

So in my video there was a bit of this going on, but I've also seen that happen IRL.
    Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX | CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz (4.20 GHz Turbo) 8x Core | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 | Memory: 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 2GB GDDR5 - (Driver: 385.69)| Displays: 55" LG 4K UHD TV @ 60Hz - 24" Monitor 1920x1080 @ 60Hz | PSU: Sea Sonic X - 850 Watt
    Storage: SSD 250GB Samsung 850 EVO x2 - 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata III x2 | Sound: X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro + 400W Technics 7.1
    Wheel: G25 & Pedals with Nixim mod springs (NO PROFILER USED) | RIG: Playseat Challenge | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A few helpful links for you

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    They definitely don't spin out , I've clocked up some hours and have seen them run on the grass and straight back on Track like some form of magical rail is beneath them .
    Love to hear if this is something that can be implemented into the game .

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Anyone tried racing the AI at Monaco? They have a massive pile up every time! One time the whole grid got stuck around the hairpin and they couldn't escape...