Page 3 of 239 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 2385

Thread: The AI discussion (all platforms)

  1. #21
    CEO - SMS Group. Ian Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,606
    Platform
    PC
    Sorry guys but if you drive like a human I think we have some of the best AI ever shipped in a game. It's impossible to please everyone and yes they do get a bit aggressive above 80% but at 80-85% I'm having a wonderful time with them.

    Respect where they are on the track. Don't assume they're going to just give way to you because you have a bumper inside them.

    And yes they are occasionally fast off track but the alternative is they bash you or give up as it's normally YOU pushing them off track. The solution we have reached is the most appropriate for fun racing as I see it.

  2. #22
    WMD Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    735
    I'm not disagreeing with your compromised view of the AI and you may well be right in the long run but a wmd member stated that the AI would/should always have two tyres on the tiles and asked for evidence of cutting when this rule wasn't adhered to. That's what's been given on this thread. If the devs can do something with this I will be very happy.

    In the video attached, the ai car was behind me, there was nothing to respect or any giving way to be had. If the car couldn't pass me without hitting me it should have used the brakes as I would have had to in the reverse situation. If anything he didn't respect me as the car in front ha

    I have to say though, loving the game and the AI is streets ahead of other like minded games so well done with that.
    Last edited by DozUK; 11-05-2015 at 15:38.
    The following 5 users likes this Post: artao, Awong124, Mangoat, monsterZERO, Niveous21


  3. #23
    WMD Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by DozUK View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with your compromised view of the AI and you may well be right in the long run but a wmd member stated that the AI would/should always have two tyres on the tiles and asked for evidence of cutting when this rule wasn't adhered to. That's what's been given on this thread. If the devs can do something with this I will be very happy.

    In the video attached, the ai car was behind me, there was nothing to respect or any giving way to be had. If the car couldn't pass me without hitting me it should have used the brakes as I would have had to in the reverse situation. If anything he didn't respect me as the car in front ha
    It's quite difficult to see from the camera angle on that one, but to me it looked as though the AI was very much alongside you at both times you mentioned and you turned in on him, giving him no option but to take to the grass. Maybe yes, he had too much grip on the grass but as Ian said the alternative would have been him sliding back off the grass into you and likely taking you both out.

    A chase camera angle would probably clarify the incident a bit better though, I could well be wrong.

  4. #24
    Kart Driver
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    33
    I've noticed a few times now when lapping that the AI is extremely aggressive.
    On more than a few times I've been struck when doing a nice casual speed, ending up with me in some barrier and me getting an off track penalty?!?
    On a few endurance races.. getting knocked off a few times has resulted in DQs, which is an hour or two wasted through no fault of my own.
    I have tried the AI difficulty on different settings to no avail.. it's becoming very very frustrating!
    The following 3 users likes this Post: NoBrakes, Traser, Webley1000


  5. #25
    WMD Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    735
    Quote Originally Posted by vicdavery View Post
    It's quite difficult to see from the camera angle on that one, but to me it looked as though the AI was very much alongside you at both times you mentioned and you turned in on him, giving him no option but to take to the grass. Maybe yes, he had too much grip on the grass but as Ian said the alternative would have been him sliding back off the grass into you and likely taking you both out.

    A chase camera angle would probably clarify the incident a bit better though, I could well be wrong.
    That's a fair point and I will review the replay when I got home from a chase camera. If you pause the video on 2 mins 15, the shadow of the other car shows that it is behind me at that point as I turn towards the corner but I agree at that point I have left space there at that point for a bite

  6. #26
    Superkart Pilot
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    324
    Platform
    PC
    I was initially very disappointed with the AI bumping into me in corners. However, upon looking at the replay every time I was involved in a AI collision, I soon realised that it was mostly down to my positioning of the car.

    Here's an example. At the start of a race in Formula A at Silverstone, I left decided to take a wider line into the first turn to avoid the drivers on the inside. I didn't look in my mirrors to see what the cars behind were doing and didn't realise that an AI car had elected to do the same and was on the outside of me. I cut to the apex for the next corner and cut across the other cars nose. My initial thought was that I was rammed from behind by an AI driver, but on viewing the replay I saw that the collision was caused by the fact that I didn't know he was there and left him no room.

    Also, I think the AI behaves differently for some cars than it does for others. I did a touring car race around Oulton Park last night. One of the Mercedes cars was very aggressive towards me and the other AI cars, bumping and barging his way through other drivers. I've also noticed that some AI drivers will pull into you if you are on the inside of a corner, but others will leave you room.

    I'm not saying the AI is prefect, but I've found that if I drive more reactively, and don't treat them like mindless automatons who just follow the racing line, I have cleaner races.

  7. #27
    Superkart Pilot
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    324
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedvaccine View Post
    I've noticed a few times now when lapping that the AI is extremely aggressive.
    On more than a few times I've been struck when doing a nice casual speed, ending up with me in some barrier and me getting an off track penalty?!?
    On a few endurance races.. getting knocked off a few times has resulted in DQs, which is an hour or two wasted through no fault of my own.
    I have tried the AI difficulty on different settings to no avail.. it's becoming very very frustrating!
    I used to have this issue with the original GTR game by Simbin. I found that the best way to be lapped was to stay on the racing line through corners, really block the inside so the AI can't do a kamikaze up the kerbs, and only let them pass me on straights.

    In fact, in real GT racing and LMP1 races the back markers are instructed to maintain their normal racing line and it's the lapping driver than has to avoid hitting them. Maye if you stay on-line instead of trying to move out of the way, it might help?

  8. #28
    WMD Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    735
    It may appear that I'm having a go at this game but in all honesty I'm not, I'm highlighting tweaks that could make this game better than it already is and as has been pointed out, the video I supplied could well be down to my error as I'm not the best racer.

    I do have to say that it's head and shoulders better AI than any racing game I've played (And I've played most over the years), the devs have done an amazing job. My video submission was purely to help with any possible bugs as has been requested, but I accept that it may not be a bug and my driving.

    I just wanted to say that
    The following user likes this Post: KamyKaze1098


  9. #29
    Kart Driver
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteUplink View Post
    I used to have this issue with the original GTR game by Simbin. I found that the best way to be lapped was to stay on the racing line through corners, really block the inside so the AI can't do a kamikaze up the kerbs, and only let them pass me on straights.

    In fact, in real GT racing and LMP1 races the back markers are instructed to maintain their normal racing line and it's the lapping driver than has to avoid hitting them. Maye if you stay on-line instead of trying to move out of the way, it might help?
    I mean when im lapping, i get blue flagged when they do it but i highly doubt they do when im lapping..
    Even when im not lapping and just racing normally i find this to be the case..
    The following 2 users likes this Post: ManiacC, NoBrakes


  10. #30
    Kart Driver
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    20
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by vicdavery View Post
    It's quite difficult to see from the camera angle on that one, but to me it looked as though the AI was very much alongside you at both times you mentioned and you turned in on him, giving him no option but to take to the grass. Maybe yes, he had too much grip on the grass but as Ian said the alternative would have been him sliding back off the grass into you and likely taking you both out.

    A chase camera angle would probably clarify the incident a bit better though, I could well be wrong.
    Even if he was along side on the video that DozUK posted the AI should have hold to his line, not escaped over the grass!!


    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Bell View Post
    Sorry guys but if you drive like a human I think we have some of the best AI ever shipped in a game. It's impossible to please everyone and yes they do get a bit aggressive above 80% but at 80-85% I'm having a wonderful time with them.

    Respect where they are on the track. Don't assume they're going to just give way to you because you have a bumper inside them.

    And yes they are occasionally fast off track but the alternative is they bash you or give up as it's normally YOU pushing them off track. The solution we have reached is the most appropriate for fun racing as I see it.
    I disagree!
    I am a respectful driver even against the AI, and have tried both on 80, 90 and 100% and it's all the same..

    I can give you that your AI is better than in AC.
    But it's far behind if you compare it to GSCE or R3E.
    If you look at the beginning of this vid you can clearly see the difference, and that this AI's is keeping their lines even in door to door action in the corners.
    The following 7 users likes this Post: Awong124, Connor Caple, evanzo7, monsterZERO, NoBrakes, Project censur, robnroll88


Similar Threads

  1. Events vs Platforms vs Leaderboards
    By Joca63 in forum Driver Network Community Events & Leaderboards
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 24-11-2015, 18:49
  2. Replies: 1395
    Last Post: 12-09-2015, 20:37
  3. Replies: 178
    Last Post: 29-06-2015, 13:46
  4. Replies: 52
    Last Post: 12-06-2015, 20:00
  5. Pure Racing Community - Easy To Sign Up - All Platforms
    By PureRacingCommunity in forum Multiplayer
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-05-2015, 21:00

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •