Page 53 of 239 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: The AI discussion (all platforms)

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Machinist90 View Post
    I've seen a Ford Mustang blasting around Lemans during night with no headlights so I guess not
    I did a multi class race at Le Mans with a day/night cycle and there were a couple of cars, Palmer-Jaguar cars I think, that had no headlights at all.

The easiest way to test is to start a 3 lap Formula race (or any car that has no headlights) in the daylight. Before the race starts select the "simulate session" option and make note of the lap times. Then do the same but for a night time race and compare.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by vicdavery View Post
    Looks like the commonly shown example of being too slow into a corner, leaving it wide open and then turning in on the AI once they are committed leaving them nowhere else to go. I would have done the same thing.
    I would be ok with this if grass/dirt/rumble strip/gravel/anything physics applied to the AI equally. If that isn't possible then they need to brake. Right now it feels like the AI is flat out exploiting the physics advantage.

Moderator +WMD 1/2 Member Roger Prynne's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Guys it's great that you are reporting these problems with the AI so please keep them coming but be nice.
    If you can, use pics or vids like a lot of you seem to be doing at the moment which is great, also give as much information as you can.
    There's no need to shout about it either as that wont get you anywhere.
    This is the way we did it at WMD and it works really well, also it makes the process a lot quicker.

I think most will agree that we have some of the best AI in any sim at the moment apart from a few things that can spoil it in certain conditions, these things are noted and being worked on by our Devs as we speak.

Our AI is a very sophisticated and has thousands of variables, just changing one of these variables can have a knock on effect in other areas so it's a fine line to adjust and get just right.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Roger Prynne; 27-05-2015 at 16:49.
    Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX | CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz (4.20 GHz Turbo) 8x Core | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 | Memory: 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 2GB GDDR5 - (Driver: 385.69)| Displays: 55" LG 4K UHD TV @ 60Hz - 24" Monitor 1920x1080 @ 60Hz | PSU: Sea Sonic X - 850 Watt
    Storage: SSD 250GB Samsung 850 EVO x2 - 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata III x2 | Sound: X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro + 400W Technics 7.1
    Wheel: G25 & Pedals with Nixim mod springs (NO PROFILER USED) | RIG: Playseat Challenge | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A few helpful links for you

The following 2 users likes this Post: Duca Racer, Timilios

WMD Member
    Okay I'm prepared to concede that the AI did look as though it may have been heading off track
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteUplink View Post
    If this was a real race, then the AI driver would be told to give the position back or risk a penalty.
    As you say though the pass was already done before the bend so I'm not sure on this point.

I think it's testament to the quality of the AI that we're discussing such fine details
    The following user likes this Post: Roger Prynne

Platform
    PC
    The AI does not appear to get any benefit of draft. At Spa running Formula B, they get left in the dust even if they are right behind you (or another AI). I assume this means they also don't suffer the affect of dirty air. The latter helps explain how they can do easily making passing moves when they come in behind the human driver.
    CPU: HSW, i7-5930K, 3.50GHz | Memory: 16GB | GPU: GTX980 (dual SLI) | Logitech G25 | TrackIR v5 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Here's another example I just encountered:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	200.8 KB 
ID:	204858

Name:	2.jpg 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	204859

Name:	3.jpg 
Size:	202.0 KB 
ID:	204860
    The following user likes this Post: mister dog

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by vicdavery View Post
    Okay I'm prepared to concede that the AI did look as though it may have been heading off track

As you say though the pass was already done before the bend so I'm not sure on this point.

I think it's testament to the quality of the AI that we're discussing such fine details
    Well, you see, the rule, which is used in multiple motor sports, doesn't just cover the pass it covers whether or not the driver gained an advantage that aided or prevented a pass. By cutting the corner into the left hander the AI shortened the distance it had to travel in comparison to the player and effectively prevented the player from attempting to defend the position or attack into the next corner.

If the AI had stayed on track, the player and AI would have entered the corner almost side by side with the AI a nose ahead, because it would have had to enter the corner slower than it did when it cut. The player would have been on the outside for the left hander, but if the AI had been on track it would have had to hold a tighter/slower line and the player would have been able to hold a wider line that would have had the inside line for the right hander and a possible chance at a repass (presuming the AI didn't just try to muscle him out of the way). However, the AI prevented this by cutting the corner, which put it about a cars length ahead of the player, and so gained an advantage.

So it would have been a definite penalty I'm afraid.
    Last edited by PeteUplink; 27-05-2015 at 22:45.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Prynne View Post
    Guys it's great that you are reporting these problems with the AI so please keep them coming but be nice.
    If you can, use pics or vids like a lot of you seem to be doing at the moment which is great, also give as much information as you can.
    There's no need to shout about it either as that wont get you anywhere.
    This is the way we did it at WMD and it works really well, also it makes the process a lot quicker.

I think most will agree that we have some of the best AI in any sim at the moment apart from a few things that can spoil it in certain conditions, these things are noted and being worked on by our Devs as we speak.

Our AI is a very sophisticated and has thousands of variables, just changing one of these variables can have a knock on effect in other areas so it's a fine line to adjust and get just right.

Thanks.
    Is there a post that describes what the AI does and does not do? What makes them sophisticated?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    It sorta kills the immersion when the AI drives like drunken rednecks. With only a few tweaks, this could be the greatest auto racing sim ever, but as it stands now...
    Go ahead, try to defend this.

Name:	pcars1.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	204877Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pcars2.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	204878Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pcars3.jpg 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	204879Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pcars4.jpg 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	204880Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pcars5.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	204881
    The following 4 users likes this Post: LeRenard242, mcarver2000, mister dog, PeteUplink

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyAlexander View Post
    It sorta kills the immersion when the AI drives like drunken rednecks.
    Good one