Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about optimization on Xbox One

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1

Question about optimization on Xbox One

I would like to know if SMS have taken advantage of the freed up GPU power that was previously reserved for the Kinect, which gives an option for developers to take advantage of that --- for example, Destiny was originally going to run at 900p, the beta did, but this allowed Bungie to bump it up to 1080p. Does anyone know if they (SMS) have used the 10% power that was previously reserved for Kinect?

Also they later opened up part of the 7th core previously reserved for UI so allow even more power to developers, what about that too?

I'd like to know.

EDIT: confirmed that they have utilized the 7th core update, still no word on the GPU update which freed up 10% power.
    Last edited by Colossal; 12-05-2015 at 22:03.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Yes they are. There was a bunch of news stories a few weeks ago outlining the utilization of the 7th core.

Here is one of the articles. They all use the same press clip anywhere you look.
    http://wccftech.com/project-cars-7th...ing-amds-eqaa/

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Okay, that's the 7th core but was that a yeah about the 10% that was previously reserved for Kinect also?

Banned
    Platform
    XBOX1
    I'm starting to think the Xbox one isn't up to running this game properly!!

Platform
    XBOX1
    I believe the Kinect resource was freed up as part of the SKD provided to developers, probably similar to the updates we receive as end-users. It's a fairly safe assumption that development teams would already be using it.

Until DX12 comes along later this year, any further optimisations will likely be in "code efficiency", as the engine will already be using ~100% of the hardware's capabilities.

Of course I too would like to hear further clarifications from SMS/WMD on this

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by Im Sorry View Post
    When running into the issues I can see how you could draw that conclusion. After tinkering and trying to workarounds I have to disagree though. It took me awhile to setup my controls the way I like but now it is gravy. Unfortunately its hard to take someone else's settings and have it work for you. I tried last night and came to the conclusion that I just needed to practice and build my own. The cars are all so different and everyone uses their controller in sims differently.

It can run the game even in the demanding weather conditions with very little issue. Check out this thread if you want to try some of the workarounds for FPS.
    http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...ps-drop!/page3
    Last edited by Lukeymonster; 12-05-2015 at 22:30.
    The following user likes this Post: SchnauzahPowah

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by Im Sorry View Post
    Relax a tad mate

It's now common knowledge (and really the subject of a whole 'nother debate) that Don Matrick and whoever else was responsible at the time had a deeply flawed vision for the Xbox as a home entertainment platform, investing billions into Kinect R&D and the (now defunct) Xbox entertainment division. This lead to budgetary shortcomings for hardware development, and along with other equally-flawed decisions resulted in (from a pure gaming perspective) the hardware being somewhat neutered. The subsequent releasing of Kinect resource and the extra core may have (slightly) helped game performance, but the side effect is a sluggish OS and interface. Have you noticed how long it takes to open the friends list/party app/invites/achievements?

The billions that went into Kinect resulted in a CPU equivalent to a lowly laptop CPU, and the GPU, while slightly more powerful, still only equivalent to an aging HD7850. The only saving grace is the efficiency (ironically forced upon them by the requirement to minimise heat and power to avoid RROD style hardware failure) of the unified SOC architecture with the adoption of a small pool of ultra fast ESRAM for caching and the (still relatively massive) 8GB of unified RAM.

We (both PS4 and Xbone) could have been enjoying the fruits of significantly higher specification hardware and true 1080p/60fps, but Matrick and his executive cronies took their millions of $ for doing a shitty job and ran for the hills, leaving Phil Spencer and his team mopping up the mess.

Now we either convert to PC elitists (sorry meant enthusiasts lol) or stick to our preferred console platform, and just grin and bear the glaring inadequacies of the current gen until the next generation comes along in a few years. Or more... :s
    Last edited by chillgreg; 12-05-2015 at 22:26.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Im Sorry, Supaaafly

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Will PC Cars take advantage of DX12 when it becomes available ?

SMS PC Lead
    Quote Originally Posted by Colossal View Post
    I would like to know if SMS have taken advantage of the freed up GPU power that was previously reserved for the Kinect, which gives an option for developers to take advantage of that --- for example, Destiny was originally going to run at 900p, the beta did, but this allowed Bungie to bump it up to 1080p. Does anyone know if they (SMS) have used the 10% power that was previously reserved for Kinect?

Also they later opened up part of the 7th core previously reserved for UI so allow even more power to developers, what about that too?

I'd like to know.

EDIT: confirmed that they have utilized the 7th core update, still no word on the GPU update which freed up 10% power.
    Yes we used the GPU update and the extra power that was reserved for Kinect for our rendering.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    So do I have to disconnect my Kine ct to get the extra processing power?