Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for driving with a wheel?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Tips for driving with a wheel?

Hey guys, I started driving on console sims such as Gran Turismo 2 but I used a controller until I got a wheel for Gran Turismo 5ish not too long ago, however I was always a much faster driver with the controller and never could keep up in the harder levels with the wheel.

For PCars I dusted off my wheel and tried it again and reached the same issue =/ The AI at 50% is my limit on the wheel, a bit more and I just cant keep up. I thought I was simply bad at racing, until I was doing a benchmark and I raced the 50% AI with my keyboard... I concluded I am bad with the wheel.

So, what's an advice for the wheel? How much do you spin it during turns? What's the secret? D:

What kind of wheel are you using? Assuming you have it setup correctly and that it's all working as expected, the thing with a wheel is you want to be smooth with how you drive. Brake early, turn in as late as possible (this changes depending on the corner but this is the usual rule of thumb) and get on the power early. Make sure you do it all smoothly and you should start going faster with a bit of practice.

Platform
    PC
    Practice
    (Simple, and to the point, but true unfortunately.)
    ~Bailey

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Using a driving force pro? The PS2 wheel for GT.

Practice gets you everywhere, but learning Calculus with practice did take centuries. They have schools for that nowadays.

Well the DFGT has terrible pedals but the wheel is solid enough. Make sure it's properly calibrated, pick a car and a track, turn on the racing line and go driving. Try to learn the track and the car, and after a while turn off the driving line. Hopefully you get to a point where you can feel what the car should be doing.

Honestly, it's all about practice. There is no 'go fast' button (except the accelerator :P)

Platform
    PC
    Try reading books... nope I'm not trolling

I had to grab some driving techniques books and read them.
    2nd step is a hell lot of practice.

You'll have to learn how to walk before you can run. Start with low power cars. Clio CUP, Formula Rookie, etc
    Master them! be the best on that one before you jump to a higher power car

enjoy the trip!
    Systems tested with Project CARS 2:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Core i7 4790K - nVidia GTX 1080ti - 16GB RAM (Desktop)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Core i7 7700HQ - nVidia GTX 1050 - 16GB RAM (Laptop)
    Core i7 6700HQ - nvidia GTX 980m - 8GB RAM (Laptop)
    Core i5 4670K - 2x AMD 7970 - 16GB RAM (Desktop)
    Core i7 4700HQ - nVidia 970M - 16GB RAM - (Laptop)

Platform
    PC
    Yes and drive slowly around the track. You should try then to get faster every lap. But it's important to drive clean before you go faster. That's how i learn new tracks/cars.
    My Sys: i7 6700K@4GHZ; Palit GTX 1080 Game Rock; 32GB Ram (2666MHZ) Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Wheel: Fanatec CSW v2 (BMW Rim, Formula Rim and Universal Hub with QSP 300mm Wheel)
    CSP v3 + Clubsport Shifter SQ + DSD "Crew Chief" Button Box + Fanatec Handbrake + Oculus Rift CV1
    Seat from a Golf 3

2x27" AOC I2769VM + 1x 7" Screen for Telemetry, Everything on a Motedis Alu-Rig
    Origin-ID: dominiczeth ; Steam-ID: dominiczeth
    WMD 1 2xSenior, WMD 2 Gold Member, WMD Member since 2011

The following 3 users likes this Post: Aldo Zampatti, AshenShugar, MysterG

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Everything written here is exactly right, take notice of what they have TRIED to tell you. However looking at your answer, I doubt very much if you'll pursue it.
    Computer Details: W10 64 bit, QUAD CORE, NVIDEA Ge Force GTX 570 1280MB GDDR 5,SLI DIRECTX 11 CPU: Intel Core 920 2.66GHz 8MB i7 2.67GHZ, 12GB Ram, twin Screens 1920 x 1080 HDMI.
    Logitech DFGT with pedals

Platform
    PC
    First time I used my DFGT I tought - What the... this is impossible?! How am I supposed to drive with this!
    But after taking some time getting used to it, I can't even imagine using anything other than a wheel for racing games.

Just keep on it. I think after even two or three races (same track / car) you should see a clear improvement in your driving.
    Member of RevolutionSimRacing

New Rig: Board: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @3,9Ghz/ GPU: KFA² GTX1080 EX OC / RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @2866 Mhz / PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3Tb / SSD: OCZ ARC100 240 Gb + Crucial MX300 525 GB / Cooler: Corsair H110i / Case: NZXT Phantom 630 / Wheel: Fanatec CSL Elite + Clubsport Pedals V3 Inverted SOLD / OS: Win 10 x64 Pro

Platform
    PC
    Try it with the Clio at Watkins Glen GP. I would say it's a great track to learn how to drive with a wheel
    My Sys: i7 6700K@4GHZ; Palit GTX 1080 Game Rock; 32GB Ram (2666MHZ) Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Wheel: Fanatec CSW v2 (BMW Rim, Formula Rim and Universal Hub with QSP 300mm Wheel)
    CSP v3 + Clubsport Shifter SQ + DSD "Crew Chief" Button Box + Fanatec Handbrake + Oculus Rift CV1
    Seat from a Golf 3

2x27" AOC I2769VM + 1x 7" Screen for Telemetry, Everything on a Motedis Alu-Rig
    Origin-ID: dominiczeth ; Steam-ID: dominiczeth
    WMD 1 2xSenior, WMD 2 Gold Member, WMD Member since 2011