Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You can't change steering ratio IN session, you have to exit and restart the session

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

You can't change steering ratio IN session, you have to exit and restart the session

This was driving me crazy as i didn't understand why there was no difference when i changed this setting. I have a Driving force GT, and i think this can't be changed in session, because it has to restart the FFB system, and apply a new degree of rotation lock, but there is no indication when you are in the pits that the session has to be restarted for this setting to work.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    So you want a real Sim, you got a real Sim. Duh!!
    Computer Details: W10 64 bit, QUAD CORE, NVIDEA Ge Force GTX 570 1280MB GDDR 5,SLI DIRECTX 11 CPU: Intel Core 920 2.66GHz 8MB i7 2.67GHZ, 12GB Ram, twin Screens 1920 x 1080 HDMI.
    Logitech DFGT with pedals

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by tinchotin View Post
    This was driving me crazy as i didn't understand why there was no difference when i changed this setting. I have a Driving force GT, and i think this can't be changed in session, because it has to restart the FFB system, and apply a new degree of rotation lock, but there is no indication when you are in the pits that the session has to be restarted for this setting to work.
    You should be able to alter your car setup (steering ratio) within every mode other than Time Trail. If you are talking about your controller steering lock then it can only be changed outside of a session.

I hope this helps.

Pete
    Before posting a problem, make sure to check our Known Issues Threads: PC / PS4 / XB1

Come visit my YouTube channel for TGC races and general Project Cars racing
    The following user likes this Post: Morgan Henstridge

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackvault View Post
    You should be able to alter your car setup (steering ratio) within every mode other than Time Trail. If you are talking about your controller steering lock then it can only be changed outside of a session.

I hope this helps.

Pete
    Hi Pete, I'm talking about changing steering ratio in free practice, when you are in the pits in the car setup menu. Why don't you try it? For example with a Formula A. By Default it has a 400º steering lock, if you go to the pit and try to change steering ratio either to the maximum value or minimum and then save it and drive there won't be any difference. If you exit session and reenter, then the steering works in the value you saved, for example 180º lock in the minimum value, and 900º in the maximum. this is something that should be either fixed or put a note in the setting description.

Platform
    PC
    I might be mistaken, but it seems that you may be confusing steering ratio and steering lock, which are quite different things. (It may be that I just don't understand what is being said.)
    ~Bailey

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    I might be mistaken, but it seems that you may be confusing steering ratio and steering lock, which are quite different things. (It may be that I just don't understand what is being said.)
    ~Bailey
    I understand steering lock as the maximum degree the steering wheel will turn, (this could be by the virtual wheel in the game or physically in the wheel controller done by the FFB), and steering ratio is the amount of turning you have to do in the steering wheel to turn the car wheels.

The steering ratio setting changes both things, this is logical. For example, if you set it low, you have to move the steering wheel a little to reach maximum turning, so you reach the steering lock faster. At minimum this is 180º, at max 900º.

Why don't you try it? You will understand.
    Last edited by tinchotin; 13-05-2015 at 08:43.

Platform
    PC
    I understand steering lock as the maximum degree the wheel will turn, (this could be by the virtual wheel in the game or physically in the wheel controller done by the FFB), and steering ratio is the amount of turning you have to do in the steering wheel to turn the car wheels.

The steering ratio setting changes both things, this is logical. Why don't you try it? You will understand.

For example, if you set it low, you have to move the steering wheel a little to reach maximum turning, so you reach the steering lock faster. At minimum this is 180º, at max 900º.
    Here is how I understand it.
    Steering ratio = ratio of degrees turned by the steering wheel vs. Degrees turned of the tires.
    Steering lock = the number of degrees the steering wheel turns from one hard stop to the other.
    From my in-gin game experience in the Caterham prototype I noticed that when I changed the steering ratio, the amount I needed to turn the steering wheel was changed accordingly, but the lock remained the same.
    ~Bailey
    The following user likes this Post: Roger Prynne

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Here is how I understand it.
    Steering ratio = ratio of degrees turned by the steering wheel vs. Degrees turned of the tires.
    Steering lock = the number of degrees the steering wheel turns from one hard stop to the other.
    From my in-gin game experience in the Caterham prototype I noticed that when I changed the steering ratio, the amount I needed to turn the steering wheel was changed accordingly, but the lock remained the same.
    ~Bailey
    Are you sure it wasn't a placebo effect? In my case no matter how low or high i put the setting, it drives the same, until i exit and start the session again, then the saved setting is the one that works. Also the steering lock changed as it reached the maximum turning point at a different point than before.

Think about it, if you change steering ratio, the steering lock should change also accordingly, AND IT DOES CHANGE. You just have to exit and restart the session.

Platform
    PC
    Are you sure it wasn't a placebo effect? In my case no matter how low or high i put the setting, it drives the same, until i exit and start the session again, then the saved setting is the one that works. Also the steering lock changed as it reached the maximum turning point at a different point than before.

Think about it, if you change steering ratio, the steering lock should change also accordingly, AND IT DOES CHANGE. You just have to exit and restart the session.
    I am sure it wasn't a placeBo. I was setting up for a career race @ Azure (Monaco) in thé Caterham prototype and that hairpin was nearly impossible with the stock steering ratio. I changed it one direction and the hairpin was entirely impossible. I changed it the other way and the hairpin was bearable.
    ~Bailey

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I am sure it wasn't a placeBo. I was setting up for a career race @ Azure (Monaco) in thé Caterham prototype and that hairpin was nearly impossible with the stock steering ratio. I changed it one direction and the hairpin was entirely impossible. I changed it the other way and the hairpin was bearable.
    ~Bailey
    Did you change it inside the race session? Are you sure the steering lock didn't change? It should have locked at a lower degree of rotation.