Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody drive the Lotus 49?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4

Anybody drive the Lotus 49?

I LOVE this car IRL but I can't drive it worth &^%$ in this game. It pulls to the left, and has the turn radius of an 18-wheeler.

It makes me sad cause I really love this car, but it's nigh unusable on most tracks.

I may be doing something wrong, so if anybody can provide any hints or assistance, I would be very happy.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Car has a lot of understeer as i assume due to the age of it it would heve no power steering etc. It is a difficult car to drive in the game but i think it would be a very difficult car to drive in real life as well. I find coming off the throttle early helps get it around although its still a bit of a fight

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    i havent tried it ye t but maybe the understeer is a result of the setup, as multiple people say the setups are 'safe'. this wasnt a very 'safe' car something setup to make couch drivers comfortable might be far from what wouldve actually been used.
    Thrustmaster TX/CSR Elites/TH8a Shifter
    980OC/5820k@4.5/8GB DDR4@2400(stock)/WINDOWS 10

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I played a ton of GPL back in the day, one of favourite Sims. To me the Lotus 49 in PCars doesn't have enough grip in general, especially at low speeds. Assetto Corsa Lotus 49 feels much better and more responsive, as much as you would expect with an open wheel race car from the 60's with no aero and hard old school rubber lol

Great video on the Lotus 49. You can see that it doesn't have the crazy rear wheel spin or kick out at high speed when going straight, and the initial turn-in is much better even without relying on back end rotation.

https://youtu.be/Opzzn9sl1kU
    Last edited by SpeedLimitUnknown; 30-05-2015 at 02:27.
    The following user likes this Post: pa_pinkelman

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    well, its very unlikely hes driving on vintage '67 tires. you can change the tires to later years for the '49 & probably get more similar behavior.
    Thrustmaster TX/CSR Elites/TH8a Shifter
    980OC/5820k@4.5/8GB DDR4@2400(stock)/WINDOWS 10

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Regarding the low speed handling of the Lotus 49, I found out the problem. My son likes to play with a controller (I typically use my wheel) and when I tried it with the controller he had the speed sensitivity cranked up to 95 lol. Put it down to 50 and just did a quick hotlap at Imola, 1:58 which seems about right. It's a real handful with a controller, really tough to modulate that throttle lol. I'll have to try it again later once I setup my wheel after he goes to bed .
    Last edited by SpeedLimitUnknown; 30-05-2015 at 03:55.

Platform
    PS4
    I love driving this car in Project CARS. Actually, I'd even call it my favorite car. I'm using a wheel and you simply got to be very careful with the throttle and the steering. After a bit of time, you're getting used to it and love it!

Platform
    PS4
    Yup the default settings for the car are really what makes it feel so strange. Tinkered with it a bit and managed a WR on Brno, without doing anything I would have been atleast 20seconds slower. But yeah, it all comes down to your driving style in the end. And also a lot to do with other settings than the actual car settings in that department. But with the defaults it has got to be the hardest one to keep a good line on.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Also you must remember that you steer these cars not only with the steering wheel but also with the throttle. Also a little trailbraking to shift the weight to the front wheels when turning in works great.
    And yes as you can see on the video these cars are a handfull...

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedLimitUnknown View Post
    I played a ton of GPL back in the day, one of favourite Sims. To me the Lotus 49 in PCars doesn't have enough grip in general, especially at low speeds. Assetto Corsa Lotus 49 feels much better and more responsive, as much as you would expect with an open wheel race car from the 60's with no aero and hard old school rubber lol

Great video on the Lotus 49. You can see that it doesn't have the crazy rear wheel spin or kick out at high speed when going straight, and the initial turn-in is much better even without relying on back end rotation.

https://youtu.be/Opzzn9sl1kU
    The odd thing is guess who also did a lot of the work on GPL......... a significant proportion of the senior SMS guys.... BTW its one of their favourite cars and genre's so watch out for a lot more GPL style cars and track coming down the line.

back on topic, I think its the 'safe' setup more than anything, hopefully some with far more skill than me will start to post some enhanced setups.
    CPU: i5 3570 @ 4.2GhZ | RAM: 8GB DDR3 @ 1866 MHz | Board: Gigabyte Z77-DH3
    GP: GTX 960 4Gb
    SDD: Samsung Evo 850 512Gb
    The following user likes this Post: Luke Townsend