Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ryno's Painting Tips

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno917 View Post
    Just as a small addition to the above chart from Espen, anything DXT5 needs to be saved with its alpha channel intact.
    Yep, and the DXT1 should not. Imho that should be a part of that table (which I shamelessly stole from the thread )
    Last edited by Espen S. Andresen; 21-05-2015 at 13:56.
    If you find a bug or encounter an issue with my liveries, please don't hesitate to contact me.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14678315/AD.jpg

Win7 Pro 64 | i7-4770K @ 3.5Ghz | 16GB DDR3 @1333MHz | MSI GeForce GTX970 4GB | Logitech G25 wheel/pedals w/Nixim brake mod
    The following user likes this Post: Ryno917

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Can someone make the same painting tip but with Inkscape and Gimp that are the same as Illustrator and Photoshop but free... because I'm not used to it. I made some photoshop a long time ago, but I don't want to pay for it so I try with Gimp but the rendering changes without touching anything... Thank you and sorry for my bad english

Platform
    PS4
    I was just wondering what happens if you leave a part of the livery template blank? I do not intend doing this but was curious and being a PS4 player I cannot test it.

Livery customisation is the type of thing I love so I would like to do some for general member use and will need a volunteer to test them soon. Thanks.
    The following user likes this Post: nG_G_Son

Quote Originally Posted by Condhill View Post
    Can someone make the same painting tip but with Inkscape and Gimp that are the same as Illustrator and Photoshop but free... because I'm not used to it. I made some photoshop a long time ago, but I don't want to pay for it so I try with Gimp but the rendering changes without touching anything... Thank you and sorry for my bad english
    Hopefully someone can lend a hand with GIMP soon. I have zero experience with it, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuderia Paul View Post
    I was just wondering what happens if you leave a part of the livery template blank? I do not intend doing this but was curious and being a PS4 player I cannot test it.

Livery customisation is the type of thing I love so I would like to do some for general member use and will need a volunteer to test them soon. Thanks.
    Anything left blank will show up as white in game I believe. IIRC the default for anything 'invisible' in PS is to make that area white when saving to a format that doesn't handle transparency.
    Ryno's Painting Tips - Tutorials, discussion and musings on livery design and execution.
    PC Specs: OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit CPU: Core i7-2600 @ 3.4GHz RAM: 16GB GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Controller: Thrustmaster T500RS
    The following user likes this Post: Scuderia Paul

Platform
    PC
    Altough I am aware how to do these, I just would like to say, a BIG THANK YOU to you Ryno for all the effort you put into making the guide.
    Ist so good to see people who are sharing know-how, and insight about the game, to see the community so passionate about a prodict.

Kudos man!
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Ryno917, Scuderia Paul

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Hi Ryno/ All
    Man am I confused. I use to paint my cars for iRacing... Now want to do the same here. But hell is this a mission it seems. What format do I save my painted car in and where do I upload or save the painted car into? could anybody assist? I just panted a Clio from the Template I downloaded. Now the question is just where to upload it to and in what format.
    Thanks buds
    Last edited by Tiaan Dames; 28-05-2015 at 19:30.

Hey mate, just responded to your PM.

I'll post here for others who are wondering, check out this thread for info on file formats and where to save.
    Ryno's Painting Tips - Tutorials, discussion and musings on livery design and execution.
    PC Specs: OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit CPU: Core i7-2600 @ 3.4GHz RAM: 16GB GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Controller: Thrustmaster T500RS

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Hey Ryno, First I just want to say thank you for making this tutorial. I'm kind of a Gimp/Photoshop amateur, but it's still helped out a lot and I've managed to make a basic livery that I'm pretty happy with.
    however I can't seem to wrap my head around the Fresnel effect and how to make parts of the livery metallic.

Do I open up the actual Fresnel file?

Or do I export my .xcf as a DXT1 in the recommended size to the original Fresnel file?

I understand the concept of making the metallic objects black and everything else white or grey, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything correct to get the metallic parts.

Hopefully my question made sense.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFFSwan View Post
    Hey Ryno, First I just want to say thank you for making this tutorial. I'm kind of a Gimp/Photoshop amateur, but it's still helped out a lot and I've managed to make a basic livery that I'm pretty happy with.
    however I can't seem to wrap my head around the Fresnel effect and how to make parts of the livery metallic.

Do I open up the actual Fresnel file?

Or do I export my .xcf as a DXT1 in the recommended size to the original Fresnel file?

I understand the concept of making the metallic objects black and everything else white or grey, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything correct to get the metallic parts.

Hopefully my question made sense.

Thanks again.
    When making a SPEC or a FRESNEL file, I just make the changes in my PSD file and then save it out as a DXT1 file with the correct name to be the fresnel file - that way everything is in the exact same position as in your main livery file, pixel-wise, so it all lines up properly.

Also, the fresnel file controls the chrome effect, not the metallic effect. Currently custom skins can't use a metallic effect as it's a more intensive thing that has to be set in the shaders themselves in 3DS Max. I'd love to get access to it, like the fresnel effect.
    The following user likes this Post: nG_G_Son

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno917 View Post
    When making a SPEC or a FRESNEL file, I just make the changes in my PSD file and then save it out as a DXT1 file with the correct name to be the fresnel file - that way everything is in the exact same position as in your main livery file, pixel-wise, so it all lines up properly.

Also, the fresnel file controls the chrome effect, not the metallic effect. Currently custom skins can't use a metallic effect as it's a more intensive thing that has to be set in the shaders themselves in 3DS Max. I'd love to get access to it, like the fresnel effect.
    Yea, I meant chrome but said metallic. I wish we could do metallic as well, hopefully in the future we'll be able to do so.

Thanks for the response, I figured doing it in the base .xcf/psd file was the best way to do it.
    That's how I've been doing it, it just hasn't seemed to come out right, I'll keep messing with it I'm sure I'm missing something simple along the way.

I appreciate it man.