Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any unwritten rules in online sim racing?

Hybrid View

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Any unwritten rules in online sim racing?

I've been racing a bit of online in Project CARS, but I'm getting cut off the track a lot, is there any 'rules' in racing games?

Platform
    PC
    ???
    stay on track

if you cut to much the track, your laptime will not be recorded for the leaderboard or qualify, you normaly should see a popup in the left buttom corner were you will be informend that you laptime is invalid due to too "offtrack" driving.
    try it and you will see what is ok and what not.

At very big cutting you get a 5s penalty were you can't accelerate.

Edit:.. more important in multiplayer.... don't use other cars as brake block
    Last edited by Thomas Sikora; 14-05-2015 at 19:57.
    regards from Bavaria
    Thomas.

somewhen something heard about mass inertia?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CPU i7 6700k | ASUS Z170 pro Gaming | RAM Kingston 32GB 2666 | GPU 1070 OC| OS Win 10 64-bit |* Fanatec CSWV2, CS Pedals V2
    In-game: DX11 | 21:9 2560*1080 | FA 16x | AA D4x | Details: all on and max
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The following user likes this Post: lollygag

Platform
    PC
    Unfortunately not a lot of people understand racing rules. The most misunderstood is when it comes to passing. Most people think that the faster car always have the right of way which is untrue. That only applies on straightaways and it the responsibility of the slower car not to block the faster car, that doesn't mean you have to move out of the way, the faster car has to pass you safely. Once a car commits to a turn into the apex it does not have to yield to a faster car or not. If a faster car tries to pass you in corner they must do it without causing a accident. So it you get a blue flag you can not block that car from passing, it doesn't mean move out out of the way though sometimes it is to your advantage if to get set up for a upcoming turn. If you see a blue flag and are just starting your turn into an apex hold your line and if that car is much faster they will either pass you coming out of the turn or if you execute the turn poorly and you give them the opening they need they will pass you in the turn. Vice versa if you are the faster car.

The thing to watch out for is the turn one smash up. everyone tries to get the advantage right away in turn one and that is where everyone just crashes into anyone with no abandon. Try to be patient and hold back through here drive around that mess. It's a good way to gain some position.

Last thing qualifying is not a race. To many people go racing out of the pits and are all trying to drive like its a race for first place and keep running each other off the track. Let some distance between you and other drivers so you can get a good lap time in without trying to jockey for position on the track with other drivers which will slow your qualifying time down.
    Win 7 i7-2600 CPU @3.40GHz 8.00 GB Ram AMD Radeon 6750 Fantec CSR Wheel and Pedals
    The following 6 users likes this Post: 321Respawn, Dodger, eracerhead, NeonFlux, NVI0U5, Patrick Kulinski

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by loud_rocker View Post
    Unfortunately not a lot of people understand racing rules. The most misunderstood is when it comes to passing. Most people think that the faster car always have the right of way which is untrue. That only applies on straightaways and it the responsibility of the slower car not to block the faster car, that doesn't mean you have to move out of the way, the faster car has to pass you safely. Once a car commits to a turn into the apex it does not have to yield to a faster car or not. If a faster car tries to pass you in corner they must do it without causing a accident. So it you get a blue flag you can not block that car from passing, it doesn't mean move out out of the way though sometimes it is to your advantage if to get set up for a upcoming turn. If you see a blue flag and are just starting your turn into an apex hold your line and if that car is much faster they will either pass you coming out of the turn or if you execute the turn poorly and you give them the opening they need they will pass you in the turn. Vice versa if you are the faster car.

The thing to watch out for is the turn one smash up. everyone tries to get the advantage right away in turn one and that is where everyone just crashes into anyone with no abandon. Try to be patient and hold back through here drive around that mess. It's a good way to gain some position.

Last thing qualifying is not a race. To many people go racing out of the pits and are all trying to drive like its a race for first place and keep running each other off the track. Let some distance between you and other drivers so you can get a good lap time in without trying to jockey for position on the track with other drivers which will slow your qualifying time down.

I think 99% of issues regarding people hitting the person driving correctly online is that many don't understand the concept of a racing line.

Umer Ahmad
    1. Stay between the white lines
    2. If you violate rule #1 DO NOT over-correct into someone else

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    The white line, I ain't getting it? By the way, the problem isn't ALWAYS me, sometimes I brake before a corner, sometimes a tat too early, then they push me in the back and I roll off track...

Umer Ahmad
    There are 2 white lines that define the track

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    Respect other drivers, don't ram people. Stay on track. Look for openings. Don't be a arcade racing jerk.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by bent_toe View Post
    Respect other drivers, don't ram people. Stay on track. Look for openings. Don't be a arcade racing jerk.
    Yea, that ramming from behind shit sucks.. I only do that when I need to save on my brakes.
    Some Racers Have Grand Prix

Oh,RUF.ast?

EVGA X99 Classified • i7 5960X @4.7Ghz • 3x EVGA GTX TITAN 6GB @1342Mhz • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @2400MHz • Lsi MegaRAID SAS 9265-8i @2500MB/s • 4x 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOP @RAID 0 • 4x 1TB WD Caviar Black @RAID 10 • 2x Corsair AX1200 @12V • 3 Dell UltraSharp U3011 @My Desk
    The following user likes this Post: BullWinkle

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Don't treat practice and qualifying as a race. Move out of the racing line if you see someone coming up fast.
    The following 4 users likes this Post: cloakdeath, lollygag, SPEEDRAC3R, _-GearHead-_