Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Um, is this a HUGE bug or intended or my game just messed up?

Platform
    PC
    Guys, the way the game is structured, the physics 'tick' runs once every 1/600th of a second. During these physics calculations (which are given top priority on as many CPU cores as needed for obvious reasons), orientation and position vectors for the actors in the scene are calculated and when all physics processing is completed, the results (the set of vectors for each car) are sent to something called the 'render bridge' and the CPU cores that were previously busy doing physics calculations are freed up to help with rendering the scene, playing audio etc.

So physics calculation comes before everything else. If time (a physics quantity) slows down, that's very likely to be a physics issue and the FPS drop is 'just' a symptom. At least that's how I understand it (and it jives with the physics slowing down depending on the amount of physics actors on track).

If someone from SMS contradicts this explanation, then listen to them.
    Last edited by ermo; 02-06-2015 at 00:07.
    CPU i7 3770K@4.2 GHz | RAM 32GB DDR3-2400 | GFX Vega 64 AC @ 3x27" 1080p | Controller G27 w/NIXIM mod | FFB INFORMATIVE Gain:100/Volume:30-35/Tone:50-60/FX:0-10 | OS Win10 Pro x64 | UTF-8 characters: ✓ ✔ ✗ ✘ ← ↑ → ↓

"We respond to well constructed criticism, good ideas which are properly described and thought through, and ideas that will benefit the whole community, not a vocal minority.

Do not repeat requests, be patient and polite, and have some confidence in our ongoing desire to improve the game for all users, which we have clearly and ably demonstrated in the past." -- Richard Steer, Slightly Mad Studios

Well whatever it is hopefully it will be fixed or atleast improved with the next patch

Banned
    Platform
    XBOX1
    come on Devs!! can you do something about it??

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I'm getting this issue too, Brands Hatch Indy seems to be quite bad. The difference in frame rate when running in free practice compared to a race with other cars is night and day. I was lapping 3 seconds faster in free practice on my own compared to qualifying as the game just ran so much smoother.

Banned
    Platform
    XBOX1
    I seriously doubt this is correctable with a patch. It has to do with the XB1's processor. It is just not up to the tasks to run this much data and the slowdown is the symptom of this. SMS wrote the parent program for this with no intention what so ever to bring it to a platform and once the ps4 and XB1 specs were released to the developers they then jumped headlong into adapting PC to the consoles as that is where the "real" money is.

I accept that I will not be able to run full grids in the name of allowing the processor to keep up and this results in an accurate and fantastic SIM experience.

I just wish the Developers would just step up and admit it they failed to build this game/program/Simulator to run correctly on the consoles.

They have no problem specifying to PC. users the minimum hardware requirements. Furthermore any user that buys a program that requires more then the users hardware can handle it surely is not the folks at SMS's fault, after all they listed the Minimum requirement right there on the box.

Unfortunately us console users can not upgrade our consoles to meet these requirements can we?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by ermo View Post
    So physics calculation comes before everything else. If time (a physics quantity) slows down, that's very likely to be a physics issue and the FPS drop is 'just' a symptom.
    If the physics tick and the actual lap time were tied together, though, wouldn't that alleviate the problem as the OP described it? My understanding of the issue is basically that the physics tick slows down so the CPU can handle it, but the time keeps ticking in real time, decoupled from the physics. That's why as you get more cars (and slower physics), the time to get around the track actually becomes longer.

in the video from Sharky's post, if time and physics tick were linked, i would expect the clock to slow down when his game visibly slows.

i don't know how the engine is structured, but if lap time can be coupled to the physics tick, the only negative i can see is less resolution on the lap timer (currently it displays out to thousandths of a second, but if it's tied to the physics tick, it could only ever update at 600th of a second increments, and would get increasingly lower resolution with more cars on the track). maybe they could come up with a hybrid timing system that used a physics-tick clock for "macro" timing and used a realtime clock for a finer "micro" resolution at the start/finish and sector times.

Kart Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Apoc112 View Post
    If the physics tick and the actual lap time were tied together, though, wouldn't that alleviate the problem as the OP described it? My understanding of the issue is basically that the physics tick slows down so the CPU can handle it, but the time keeps ticking in real time, decoupled from the physics. That's why as you get more cars (and slower physics), the time to get around the track actually becomes longer.

in the video from Sharky's post, if time and physics tick were linked, i would expect the clock to slow down when his game visibly slows.

i don't know how the engine is structured, but if lap time can be coupled to the physics tick, the only negative i can see is less resolution on the lap timer (currently it displays out to thousandths of a second, but if it's tied to the physics tick, it could only ever update at 600th of a second increments, and would get increasingly lower resolution with more cars on the track). maybe they could come up with a hybrid timing system that used a physics-tick clock for "macro" timing and used a realtime clock for a finer "micro" resolution at the start/finish and sector times.
    Yeah, what he said.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    haha... sorry if i nerded out a little. I'm an engineer... i like to over-think things.

WMD Member
    I noticed turning damage on/off when running with lots of AI also affects this issue. Makes me want to buy a PC. Makes me feel like I've still got a 360
    The following user likes this Post: RobIzYoDaddy

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by RobIzYoDaddy View Post
    I seriously doubt this is correctable with a patch. It has to do with the XB1's processor. It is just not up to the tasks to run this much data and the slowdown is the symptom of this. SMS wrote the parent program for this with no intention what so ever to bring it to a platform and once the ps4 and XB1 specs were released to the developers they then jumped headlong into adapting PC to the consoles as that is where the "real" money is.

I accept that I will not be able to run full grids in the name of allowing the processor to keep up and this results in an accurate and fantastic SIM experience.

I just wish the Developers would just step up and admit it they failed to build this game/program/Simulator to run correctly on the consoles.

They have no problem specifying to PC. users the minimum hardware requirements. Furthermore any user that buys a program that requires more then the users hardware can handle it surely is not the folks at SMS's fault, after all they listed the Minimum requirement right there on the box.

Unfortunately us console users can not upgrade our consoles to meet these requirements can we?
    As far as I'm aware, the CPUs in the XBox One are slightly faster than the ones in the PS4 due to Microsoft panicking at their baked-in GPU architecture deficit at the 11th hour and trying to compensate somehow.

But good to see that without any access to the Project CARS source code and without talking to the developers who actually wrote it, you already know more than they do.

Back in reality, there's likely a simple and rational explanation for the slowdown which the developers will triage and fix in the coming weeks as they continue to focus on the XBox One builds. For all we know, it might involve limiting the grid sizes on consoles. Time will tell, as always.

Last edited by ermo; 02-06-2015 at 00:30. Reason: add link
    CPU i7 3770K@4.2 GHz | RAM 32GB DDR3-2400 | GFX Vega 64 AC @ 3x27" 1080p | Controller G27 w/NIXIM mod | FFB INFORMATIVE Gain:100/Volume:30-35/Tone:50-60/FX:0-10 | OS Win10 Pro x64 | UTF-8 characters: ✓ ✔ ✗ ✘ ← ↑ → ↓

"We respond to well constructed criticism, good ideas which are properly described and thought through, and ideas that will benefit the whole community, not a vocal minority.

Do not repeat requests, be patient and polite, and have some confidence in our ongoing desire to improve the game for all users, which we have clearly and ably demonstrated in the past." -- Richard Steer, Slightly Mad Studios
    The following user likes this Post: Moon666