Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Easy Differential Tuning (reduce spinouts)

Umer Ahmad

Easy Differential Tuning (reduce spinouts)

I see a lot of people spinning out and I believe strongly the Limited Slip Differentials (LSD) units or known more simply as "diffs" are working against you guys and not in your favor.

Here's my rule of thumb how to tune diffs.

IF you are spinning ENTERING the corner (or coming off heavy braking into the corner) then INCREASE (slide right) the DECEL diff setting. Increasing the DECEL will gain you stability while sacrificing some turning ability (but since you already are turning too much i think that's a trade-off well worth it).

IF you are spinning EXITING the corner (on throttle/power) then REDUCE (slide left) the ACCEL diff setting. Same reasoning, more "safety" and less turning ability.

Start with these two, I'll talk about PRELOAD and VISCOUS later.

Platform
    PC
    Start talking about PRELOAD and VISCOUS!

Please....

I wasn't having much fun with the McLaren F1 (TCS Off) until I started adjusting the ACCEL/DECEL diffs, so an explanation, with examples, of the other two settings would be wonderful!
    Last edited by Rapster; 16-05-2015 at 14:23.
    OS: Windows 8.1 - Update 1 ♦ M/B: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ♦ CPU: i5-3570K - 4.3GHz ♦ GFX: Gigabyte GTX 970 (G1 Gaming) ♦ RAM: 8GB - 1600MHz - 8-8-8-20 ♦ AUDIO: ASUS Xonar DX ♦ WHEEL: Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari GTE
    The following 4 users likes this Post: CrookdMoe, DrOrange95, Fight-Test

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    I was hoping this would help the default setting of the Clio. That thing was making me so angry last night. I had to jump in another car to end my night off correctly. (Xbox-pad)

Can't wait to see more. But I was thinking I'm going to pay more attention to this
    Xbox GT: PervasiveFall8
    Platform and Input Device: Xbox One and Controller
    PTG Forum for good racing community: www.pendulumtuning.freeforums.org
    My Flikr for Game and real photgraphs: https://www.flickr.com/photos/124245756@N05/albums

Superkart Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapster View Post

Please....

I wasn't having much fun with the McLaren F1 (TCS Off) until I started adjusting the ACCEL/DECEL diffs, so an explanation, with examples, of the other two settings would be wonderful!
    The preload is basically the transitioning weight being carried from back to front or visa versa only when accelerating then break or breaking the accelerating.

If you feel the that there is too much responsiveness or nervousness of car when breaking/accelerating then DECREASE IT, if weigh feels dead, or no responsive enough then INCREASE preload.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: DrOrange95, Henrique Clausing

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapster View Post

Please....

Yeah the McLaren will spin right out if you don't blip the throttle, and even then it's tricky. Not sure if the default diff setting is correct, having never driven an F1, but I am getting some practice with the heel-toe technique.

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Pervasive View Post
    I was hoping this would help the default setting of the Clio. That thing was making me so angry last night. I had to jump in another car to end my night off correctly. (Xbox-pad)

Can't wait to see more. But I was thinking I'm going to pay more attention to this
    I assume you are having a lot of lift off oversteer with the Clio like I was. If so, diff tuning isn't going to do much for you. It'll help a bit, but you need to get more grip into the rear tires. And seeing as the car is FWD, diff tuning can only do so much by tightening up the front.
    PCars Rig:
    PS4 using a Fanatec CSR with CSR elite pedals mounted on a coffee table.

Actual Rigs:
    2005.5 Audi S4 / Some sort of catback and x-pipe / I think maybe it's lowered? / Krylon Fusion painted wheels
    1995 Mustang GT/ Flowmaster 40 catback / BBK O/R H-pipe / Tokico Blues / H&R Supersports / 95 Cobra Rs on 275s

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Pervasive View Post

Yeah that tiny little Clio-Basta** also got me upset easily. My workaround for the oversteer is simple as that: hit the gas as soon as the car looses grip on the rear. Let 'dem front wheels do their work! It's a spin saver in 90%, at least for me.
    Ryzen 5 2600x | Arctic Freezer 33 Plus | Gigabyte X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming | GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6G | 16GB G.SKILL RIPJAWS V 3200 | Fanatec CSL Elite Wheel Base + CSL Elite McLaren GT3 + Fanatec Clubsport V3 Pedals | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter - Windows 10 x64

Member of Revolution Sim Racing
    The following user likes this Post: jimmyb_84

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift2603 View Post
    Yeah that tiny little Clio-Basta** also got me upset easily. My workaround for the oversteer is simple as that: hit the gas as soon as the car looses grip on the rear. Let 'dem front wheels do their work! It's a spin saver in 90%, at least for me.
    Yup, that's pretty much how to handle oversteer in any FWD, usually sorts it right out
    System Specs:MSI GTX 980 | i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz | 8 GB DDR3 RAM | 120GB Kingston SSD | Win 10 [x64]
    Display: Oculus Rift DK2 CV1 / 50" LED TV.
    Input: T300 GTE Rim / G27 Pedals + Shifter / VoiceAttack

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift2603 View Post
    yeah defo this helps. but its a pitA when doing long races and you have to look at your tire wear

Platform
    PC
    any help w/ preload and viscous lock?
    ***ALL MY TIRE RELATED DISCUSSION ARE REFERRING TO MODERN GT/LMP TIRES***
    PC Rig: intel i7-6700k @ 1.21 gigawatts of electricity | Gigabyte Z170X G1 Gaming | EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 Gaming | Fanatec CSL Elite Base | CSL Elite Load-Cell Pedals | Formula F1 2018 Wheel
    Other endeavours: lacrosse, hockey, snowboarding, DCS F/A-18C