Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Telemetry Logging and Analysis Application

Platform
    PC

Telemetry Logging and Analysis Application

A telemetry logging and analysis companion app for Project CARS.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	posting_image_0_12.jpg 
Views:	2161 
Size:	237.2 KB 
ID:	203111

Session Manager
    • record, save and load any number of sessions
    • real time session timing and plotting as you record
    • automatic saving and unloading of recorded sessions

Session Info Display
    • display details for A, B and selected sessions
    • add notes to sessions

Client/server
    • connect to pCARS locally, or over the LAN or the Internet using the server
    • the server supports multiple clients, enabling e.g. a dashboard over LAN and a race engineer over Internet

Plotter(s)
    • each plotter can display any number of lanes
    • each lane can display any number of graphs
    • each graph has configurable plotting styles
    • drag to size and normal zooming
    • AB comparison of any two sessions and any lap ranges
    • absolute measurement cursor
    • delta measurement cursors
    • split cursors for separate measurements per lane

Trackmap
    • generator to capture 'proper' track maps with several display modes
    • A and B driven lines can show two telemetry parameters
    • shows absolute and delta cursor positions
    • zoom and pan, with follow cursor option

Dashboard
    • framework for scriptable dashboard design
    • multiple dashboards driven by loaded sessions, live sessions or scripts

Scripting
    • integrated scripting engine using the Lua language
    • automate the application
    • perform data analysis and processing
    • build simple GUIs to for integrated and interactive application extensions
    • "micro IDE" for editing and running scripts
    • script manager for installing and managing your favourite scripts

General
    • parameter manager, with user editable parameter color, range etc.
    • dockable window interface for custom layouts
    • saving and loading of window layouts
    • saving and loading of single and all plotter setups
    • printing support
    • bitmap export
    • automatically maintains connection with the sim

Planned features
    • more to come... community input welcome...

Download and installation

The current 64 and 32 bit version, 0.12, can be downloaded here.

The latest version of the user manual can be downloaded here.

If your virus software throws a warning, fear not, the installer has been scanned and cleared with Avast.

Version 0.12 is the first public release and any installed versions prior to v0.12 must be uninstalled in full before installing v0.12: Please remove the "C:\Users\Documents\pCARS Telemetry" folder, and delete the registry keys "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Leistad Systems Development" and "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Leistad Systems Development".

The minimum OS requirement is Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, 32 or 64 bit.

Support

If the application crashes, please put the files "_crashlog.txt" and "_minidump.dmp" in a zip archive and attach it to a posting describing the circumstances of the crash. These files can be found in your "Documents/pCARS Telemetry" folder.

The distribution comes with some installed scripts which effectively are 'applets' that extend the application. They can be found in the folder "managed_scripts" inside the "pCARS_Telemetry" folder. They can be managed using the Script Manager. The scripts are using the gui library and have registered buttons on the Script Toolbar (the leftmost toolbar at the top of the window). Clicking these buttons will toggle the guis open and closed. The installed scripts are:

• BigNums - showing a variable number of parameters in a row colum layout
    • CSV-Export - CSV telemetry data export
    • CursorStats - computes statistics for a parameter using the delta cursor pair for the range.
    • Dash1 - example instrument panel, speedometer, rev counter and timing
    • Dash2 - example instrument panel, speedometer, rev counter, timing and controls
    • Dash3 - example instrument panel, gauges for four selectable parameters
    • Dash4 - example instrument panel, temperatures, wear and g-forces
    • Dash5 - example instrument panel, "minigraphs" of a few parameters
    • GraphFilter - plots a graph with a low or high pass filter applied
    • Lap2Lap - plots the lap to lap difference for a parameter
    • LapHistogram - histogram tool applet
    • LapStats - tool for computing statistics for a parameter over a lap range
    • LiveaStats - shows live parameters with running averages and maxima
    • LiverNumsRecorder - performs ad hoc live recording. Saves to CSV files
    • RaceInfo - using dash_module.lua to create an race infor intrument panel
    • ScatterStats - tool to perform scatter plot and statistics for two parameters

So far the documentation is brief and incomplete - the user manual proper is a WIP. It can be found on the apps Help menu, or in the "Documents/pCARS Telemetry/manual" folder. In the manual folder you will find some additional text files. The file "user_manual.txt" is a general operations manual, the file "scripting_manual.txt" is the beginnings of a reference manual for the scripting, the file "dashboard_manual.txt" is the documentation for the dashboard framework. These are raw text files hacked together while coding, so they're not too friendly. Eventually it will all be reworked and included in UserManaul.pdf.

This posting will be kept updated as the project progresses.
    Last edited by Gassolini; 20-03-2017 at 19:43.
    pCARS Telemetry Logging and Analysis Application - v0.12 17/5-2015
    pCARS Telemetry website
    CPU: i7-2700K @ 4.43GHz | RAM: 16GB @ 800MHz | MB: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | GPU: Gigabyte HD 7970 OC | PSU: Mist 650W | Audio: MOTU Ultralite mk3 | Controller: G25 | OS: Win 7 64bit | CCC Omega 14.12

Platform
    PC

User Manual update and Track Maps

I have made some updates to the manual. In particular this describes the Track Map module.

Download the updated manual here.

If you want to, you can copy the manual into "Documents\pCARS Telemetry\manual". If you do that, it can be opened from the Help menu in the app.

Currently the app is supplied with only 7 maps. This is simply due to me having spent most of my time working on the app itself, and there has been preciously little time to make track maps. The good news is that you can make new maps yourself, and I'm hoping the community will help me out there. The manual describes the procedure for making new maps, but I'll copy the Track Map chapter here for your convenience. The list of already included maps as of today is:

Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
    Donington Park Grand Prix
    Dubai Autodrome Grand Prix
    Hockenheim Grand Prix
    Hockenheim Short
    Oschersleben Grand Prix
    Oschersleben National

If any of you want to make new maps and share them with the community, it might be an idea to post here, telling which one(s) you plan to do so that several people aren't making the same maps. When you have the map(s) ready you can ZIP them up add them as attachments to your map related postings here. Attached maps can then be downloaded by others, unpacked and copied into the "Documents\pCARS Telemetry\maps" folder. If you give me permission I will include the map in future releases of the app.
    pCARS Telemetry website
    CPU: i7-2700K @ 4.43GHz | RAM: 16GB @ 800MHz | MB: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | GPU: Gigabyte HD 7970 OC | PSU: Mist 650W | Audio: MOTU Ultralite mk3 | Controller: G25 | OS: Win 7 64bit | CCC Omega 14.12
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Christiaan van Beilen, Espen S. Andresen, Thomas Sikora

Platform
    PC

Generating track maps

Overview

The Track Map displays the driven line(s) for the set session(s), and a symbol for the car. It can also display an actual map of the track - currently only a few maps are supplied with the app, but you can generate track maps yourself (ref. “Generating track maps” later in this chapter).

You can choose display modes for the track itself from the leftmost combobox in the track map toolbar. These only take effect for tracks that have had an actual map generated. The track display modes are:

Uniform=> flat grey track colour
    Sectors=> coloured by sectors, red = S1, green = S2 blue = S3 (the colours are configurable)
    Height=> coloured by height, black is the lowest point and white is the highest point
    Banking=> coloured by overall track banking, green banks inwards, red banks outwards
    Combo=> combines Height and Banking

For the driven lines, two parameters can be displayed. Use the 2nd and 3rd combobox in the track map toolbar. The first parameter will be displayed as a green tint, the second as red tint. The base colour is black. When both parameters have high values you will se a yellow tint (red and green mixed).

Uniform=> shows a black line, or if both A and B sessions are selected, A is green and B is red.
    Sectors=> coloured by sectors, red = S1, green = S2 blue = S3
    .........=> selected parameter, base colour is black, parameter 1 colour is green and parameter 2 colour is red

You can select the width of the driven line with the spinbox, an you can switch trhe grid on and off as well as adjusting the distance between the grid lines

In the example below, the map is shown with sector colours, and the driven line is shown with green for throttle and red for braking. You can also see how late braking before the Melbourne Hairpin on Donington leads to an excursion off track and into the gravel:

Name:	track_map_display_modes.jpg 
Views:	2093 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	203209

You can zoom the map to your liking, using either the buttons on the track map toolbar, or the mouse wheel. When the track is zoomed in, you can click and drag to pan it around. There are +/- buttons to zoom in and out, and a toggle button to automactically keep the map zoomed to the size of the window.

When the map is zoomed in, it can be made to automatically pan so that the car is keept in view when you move the cursors in the plotters. To enable this, click the rightmost button on the toolbar (the one with the magic wand).

In the context menu, you can toggle the map info shown in the upper left corner on and off, and you can print out the current view of the map. There is also an option, "Line auto scaling", to keep the driven line width constant independent of the map zoom level.

Generating track maps

To generate a map, you need to drive one complete lap along the inner track boundary (the white line) and one complete lap along the outer track boundary. These drives need to be slow and careful since the map data is taken from your driven path. I like to use the Formula Rookie since it's easy to control and has a nice "iron sight". Since two wheels will be on the grass while driving the white line, lowering the FFB and maybe softening up the car may help with precise placement. I reckon it should be possible to achieve an accuracy 10 to 30 cm if the drive is very slow and smooth. When both the inner and outer track boundaries have been driven, it's time to save the session, select it as the A session and start the map editor to generate the actual map.

Name:	track_map_edit_menu.jpg 
Views:	2092 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	203210

The complete procedure is:

1 - Record a session with one complete lap along the inner track boundary (the white line) and one complete lap along the outer track boundary. There needs to be at least one lap between the two where you cross over to the other boundary. I like to use the Formula rookie with almost no FFB, then I drive the 1st lap along the inner boundary, cross over to the other boundary on the 2nd lap (also an opportunity to relax and loosen up that death grip on the wheel from the deep concentration needed for an accurate boundary capture ). Then the 3rd lap is driven along the outer boundary. It doesn't matter which laps you follow which boundary, that can be selected in the map generator. So if you're not satisfied with one or both of your first boundary captures, go ahead and drive them as many times as you like.

2 - Save the session. Perhaps adding a "_MAPRUN" suffix, e.g. "Donington Park Grand Prix - Formula Rookie - Mon Oct 07 23-50-50 2013_MAPRUN.tld". Perhaps even add something like "_MAPRUN_1_3", to indicate that the best inner and outer boundary captures was on laps 1 and 3. The session can be used to (re)generate the map at any time.

3 - Select the session as the A session in the Session Manager by double clicking it or using the context menu to select "Set as A".

4 - Open the context menu in the Track Map window and select "Edit map" to enter the track map editing mode. This brings up a 2nd toolbar for the editor.

5 - Click the leftmost button on the editor toolbar to select the map generator. This brings up a 3rd toolbar for the map generator tool.

6 - Select the desired resolution (this is the smallest segment length in meters) and your preferred inner and outer boundary-capture laps.

7 - Click the Generate button.

8 - Select map rotation in the editor toolbar, if you wish.

9 - Open the context menu in the Track Map window and select "Save map".

10 - Done!

You can disable the editor mode by opening the context menu and clicking "Edit map" again. The map can be regenerated and saved again at any time. Later versions may offer more editing facilities, such as placing text and lines on the map.

The map files live in the "Documents/pCARS Telemetry/maps" folder. If you want to remove a map, you can go there and delete it.
    Last edited by Gassolini; 18-05-2015 at 02:08.
    pCARS Telemetry website
    The following 3 users likes this Post: C3PO, Christiaan van Beilen, Espen S. Andresen

Platform
    PC
    A 32 bit version has now been added. Please see the OP for download details.
    pCARS Telemetry website
    The following user likes this Post: Espen S. Andresen

Platform
    PC
    Hi Gassolini.

This app is the best tool for the driver.

very nice work !!!!

Platform
    PC
    on 64bit server app i cant see clearly the settings of the server (3 set ticks) i test it with various resolutions, same thing
    i can click it but i cant read what is doing. (i csee only on mouse hover the description ... server settings need restart.......

Platform
    PC
    Hi DragonSyr!

The server should look like the picture below, if yours is significantly different, could you post a screen shot, or a link to a screenshot?

Name:	Server_1.png 
Views:	2006 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	203844
    pCARS Telemetry website

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Gassolini View Post
    Hi DragonSyr!

The server should look like the picture below, if yours is significantly different, could you post a screen shot, or a link to a screenshot?
    ok . for my vista is ok

Name:	vista_inapp.JPG 
Views:	2011 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	203848Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vista_standalone.JPG 
Views:	2012 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	203849

on windows 7 is like this

Name:	telemetry1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	203850

Platform
    PC
    also a question for the setup of my dashes... where can i see my theoretical lap from the combine of my best s1-2-3 times?
    can you add this in raceinfo dash?
    after the blue cells (current) can you add the last 10 laps of the session and a theoretical sum with the best s1-2-3 of all session at the end?

Platform
    PC
    OK, I haven't seen this on any of the systems I'm testing on, and I've not had any reports of this. It may look like you have the Windows default/system font set to a large size - could that be the case, and perhaps it's even your intention?

You could look into that, or you can set the font size that the app uses in the configuration. Click the spanner icon in the toolbar at the top of the main window to bring up the configuration dialogue. In there you can select the fonts used for various parts of the app - the one marked with red is the main font. On all Windows 7 systems I've seen, the default is as shown in the config screenshot below.

When you've changed config settings, click "Apply" so that the take effect. If you're happy with it, click "OK", and the current settings will be saved as the deafults.

BTW, the configuration is saved in "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\pCARS Telemetry\settings" with filename default_config.tac. You may first want to check if a default_config.tac file with a large fonts size has been accidentally saved there (the app installation does not provide such a file; the app uses its built in defaults until you explicitly save one yourself).

Name:	config_fonts.jpg 
Views:	2006 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	203854
    pCARS Telemetry website