Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brake temperature and cooling questions, need answers from veterans.

Banned

Brake temperature and cooling questions, need answers from veterans.

1- Colour coding is generic or car specific? We know different cars have different optimum brake temps, so what is blue/green/red? Is it too cold/OK/hot brakes for YOUR car or is it just a generic measurement?

2- With default settings pretty much all car and track combos make you stay on "blue" brake zone. Are they very conservative or is "blue" better for performance than "green" brakes?

3- Brake temperatures affect tyre temperatures? If I close cooling a bit my tyres will get hotter?

Moderator+WMD 1/2 Member Siberian Tiger's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by dyr_gl View Post
    1- Colour coding is generic or car specific? We know different cars have different optimum brake temps, so what is blue/green/red? Is it too cold/OK/hot brakes for YOUR car or is it just a generic measurement?

2- With default settings pretty much all car and track combos make you stay on "blue" brake zone. Are they very conservative or is "blue" better for performance than "green" brakes?

3- Brake temperatures affect tyre temperatures? If I close cooling a bit my tyres will get hotter?
    1. There are different Types of Brakes (Drum Brake / Steel / Carbon / Ceramic) they all have different Level of Optimum and also specific Coloring in HUD...
    2. Default Setup's are for stability and Long Term Racing (less Fade) so yes, for short Races you can try to upping Brake Pressure.
    3. Yes the Brake Temperatures has an effect on the Tires. The Brake's heat the Rim and the Rim gives Heat to the Tire.

That's all i know, and im not an Expert to explain in in Detail, but i hope it should answer your questions.
    Member Status: WMD 1 Senior x3 / WMD2 Gold
    Portable System: Dell XPS 17 Notebook CPU: Intel Core i7-2670QM @2.2 GHZ , RAM: 8GB, GPU: NVIDIA GForce GT555M, HDD: WD 2.5" Notebook 500GB, OS: Windows 7 64-bit,Wheel: Logitech G25, Sound: NVidia Onboard Soundcard
    Gaming System AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 / i7 7700K with Antec H2o 920 Liquid Cooling System / PSU: Be Quiet! Straight Power E9 680W / GPU: MSI Gaming GTX1070 (OC) / RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance / SSD: 250GB Samsung Basic 840 / HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Black / OS: Windows 7 64-Bit / Wheel: Thrustmaster T500RS - Standart GT Rim / Monitor: Epson EH-TW3200 Homecinema 16:9 Full HD Beamer / RacingSeat: Playseat with some Modifications...

Banned
    1 is the most important. I want to know if I should close the cooling until I spend most of the time in "green" zone, or if the colours are just generic and don´t say much about your current ride optimum zone.

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    green is optimum temp for max braking performance. You don't want to have your brakes in the red beacause they'll fade and you'll lose braking power. Better having them blue than red.
    XBL/PSN/others: genbrien
    CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr2 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz SSD: Intel X25m 80gb
    Keyboard: Logitech G15 Monitor: Lg 24'' 1920*1080 Mouse: G700s PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Logitech G27, TrackIr5
    Case: Cooler Master 690

Platform
    PC
    You can close the ducts until you stay in green. But you should make sure that you don't run into yellow / red after a few laps.

The colors are a bit vague - at least at the lower end. I think on some cars they turn green a bit too early, but when you're 100 - 150 degrees away from yellow or red, you're in the sweet spot.

(IDK if hot is yellow or red atm)
    Last edited by Invincible; 18-05-2015 at 13:28.
    Member of RevolutionSimRacing

New Rig: Board: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @3,9Ghz/ GPU: KFA² GTX1080 EX OC / RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @2866 Mhz / PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3Tb / SSD: OCZ ARC100 240 Gb + Crucial MX300 525 GB / Cooler: Corsair H110i / Case: NZXT Phantom 630 / Wheel: Fanatec CSL Elite + Clubsport Pedals V3 Inverted SOLD / OS: Win 10 x64 Pro

Platform
    XBOX1
    So what is the optimal Brake temp for the Aston Martin Rapide S GT4 car? I just done 5 laps or so on Dubai and it was already approaching or over 1000 degrees.
    For Sierra RS500 Cosworth
    http://i.imgur.com/I01v5Cc.jpg

Vehicle Technical Lead Casey Ringley's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Units will eat your lunch! Is that 1000F or 1000C? Former is fine; just around peak for GT racing iron brakes. Latter would be a little toasty and lose a lot of performance while wearing out super fast.
    Haste Is Slow
    The following 2 users likes this Post: menaceuk, Terrell Olvera

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Ringley View Post
    Units will eat your lunch! Is that 1000F or 1000C? Former is fine; just around peak for GT racing iron brakes. Latter would be a little toasty and lose a lot of performance while wearing out super fast.
    Fahrenheit.

So if I keep them around 1000F I am golden.
    For Sierra RS500 Cosworth
    http://i.imgur.com/I01v5Cc.jpg

Vehicle Technical Lead Casey Ringley's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Yep. You'll start to notice badness if you get them over 1200F - mostly that friction starts to fall off and your brake bias will be come rather dynamic in a not fun way - but 1000F is all good.

In case anyone wants to get geeky about it, we used data like what Pagid has published for their RS29 to calibrate the heat effects on braking torque for the iron brakes.
    Haste Is Slow
    The following user likes this Post: OnyxD

Platform
    PS4
    Not sure for brakes but I know tire temp colour code on the HUD is car-specific.
    Some touring car tires are well green by ~80C but FA tires are going Blue at ~95C
    Hadn't noticed brakes so much. Might run them hot to try keep heat in the front tires
    Do a few laps of an FA car then try maybe an old touring car and check the temps
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10