Thread: Noob question concerning tires and pressure

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Noob question concerning tires and pressure

With front wheel drive cars like the Renault Clio I don't seem to get the tire pressure right.

After a few laps (mostly after four) I'll get: 1 red front (left wheel) tire and a blue right tire on the back.
    So the back tire(s) cool off, while the front tire gets too hot.

Do I now need to give more pressure to the left front and less to the right back?
    Or what strategy do I need to use to keep the back wheel warm and to cool down the front wheel?

Sorry for my noob question, but an answer would be greatly appreceated as I can learn from your answers.

Platform
    PC
    In a FWD you will never totally solve the issue of the front tires heating more than the rears. It's simply not physically possible. The front tires have to do all the work of both driving and steering while also having the bulk of the weight of the car over them while decelerating and in neutral driving.

The best solution you can manage is to stiffen the rear suspension which will drive the rear tires into the ground under acceleration and scrub them more in the corners and put more pressure in the rear tires if you want to balance the heating and wear of the tires, but this can drastically change handling characteristics. The best method is to adjust to an FWD driving style and manage the front tires as best as you can.

Some light reading that may help:
    http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets10.html
    Self Proclaimed Captain of the WMD Debate team. Unofficial WMD spellchecker. I once corrected The Stig!

Gaming System ASUS FX502VM Gaming Laptop
    7700HQ i7
    6gb 1060 GTX
    8GB DDR4L
    1TB 7200RPM Primary HDD
    1TB WD Passport Backup HDD
    Wheels: Fanatec GT3 RS V2 (RIP) Logitech Driving Force GT (RIP)
    Thrustmaster T150 Ferrari Edition
    CSR Elite Pedals
    Xbox One Controller

SteamID:Shin321

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzah View Post
    In a FWD you will never totally solve the issue of the front tires heating more than the rears. It's simply not physically possible. The front tires have to do all the work of both driving and steering while also having the bulk of the weight of the car over them while decelerating and in neutral driving.

The best solution you can manage is to stiffen the rear suspension which will drive the rear tires into the ground under acceleration and scrub them more in the corners and put more pressure in the rear tires if you want to balance the heating and wear of the tires, but this can drastically change handling characteristics. The best method is to adjust to an FWD driving style and manage the front tires as best as you can.

Some light reading that may help:
    http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets10.html

Thanks for your clarification and for the good read.

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Would this also to do with diff settings? One wheel spinning up due to heavy right foot and bad diff setting. Maybe wrong as im no tuner.