Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Limited Slip Differential a bit....

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Chaos 2.0 View Post
    No. Limited-Slip Acceleration Lock (LSAL), and Limited-Slip Deceleration Lock (LSDL), will lock the drive-axle wheels to the same rotation speed upon acceleration and deceleration respectively. In rear-wheel drive cars: The higher the LSAL value, the less slip will be allowed to the rear wheels.

The effect of increased LSAL is the following: During corners, the inner drive-wheel will be forced to rotate at the same speed as the outer drive-wheel. This will increase the cornering radius (under-steer), but will prevent one wheel from turning faster than the other. this will help manage sliding out of corners. When LSAL is reduced, the opposite effect of what was described, will occur.

Things are a bit different with LSDL. Increased LSDL will lock the drive-wheels upon deceleration. This prevents either wheel from turning faster than the other, and causing a turning effect which could make the car spin out. This takes effect in corners as well under engine-breaking, and what happens in corners when the rear wheels are locked has been covered in the LASL section above. Decreasing LSDL will have the opposite effect of what was just described.

So no. Increased LSDL will not make for a more squirrely car.
    I think that depends on how loaded is the outside tire. Yes it is making the inside wheel spin at the same speed as the outside, but that means you are transferring torque to that wheel because the natural tendency without LSD is to spin the inside because its unloaded(path of least resistance). If your outside tire is already heavily loaded(mid corner, or bump, or curb) and you apply power, you can actually break traction and cause the back end to come loose.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    @Schnizz58 & RacingManiac:

It all depends on the car's setup and the amount of power delivered. As I intended a simple explanation, I didn't bother to go into LSDL/LSAL counter-measures like sway-bar, suspension, or toe-in adjustments. But feel free to add whatever you'd like.

Platform
    PC
    Fair enough. In the game, I've had more issues with power oversteer due to too high of an accel setting than I have with inside wheelspin due to too low of a setting.
    97.8% of mass public shootings in the US between 1950 and 2018 occurred in so-called "gun-free zones".
    ASUS GL702VI-MH72 | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition
    Thrustmaster T3PA Pro Pedals with Ricmotech Load Cell Mod | Wheelstand Pro v2
    The following user likes this Post:

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Schnizz58 View Post
    Fair enough. In the game, I've had more issues with power oversteer due to too high of an accel setting than I have with inside wheelspin due to too low of a setting.
    Ditto. Normally I'd have set the bar/damper first then drop the Accel locking to a point where I can apply power confidently on corner exit.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: MULTIVITZ

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Schnizz58 View Post
    I recommend keeping both LSDL and LSAL as low as possible. Fixing inner-tire wheel-spin in corners depends on the car and the track but it really shouldn't be an issue. You're either being extreme with LSAL, or the car is set up poorly elsewhere. Try adjusting the sway bars. Increase rear stiffness, and decrease the front. The car will turn in more sharply. Then soften the rear spring stiffness a bit, and stiffen the front.
    The following user likes this Post: MULTIVITZ

Umer Ahmad
    I'll explain another way, some people understand this way better:

ACCEL LOCK
    SAFETY[-------------|----------------]PERFORMANCE

DECEL LOCK
    PERFORMANCE[-------------------|-------------]SAFETY

In the above examples "SAFETY" means "LESS TURNING ABILITY" (and therefore lower probability of spin-out). "PERFORMANCE" means "MORE TURNING ABILITY" (and increased probability of spin-out)

You "gear heads" car nerds (like me) get too much into the technicals for the layman player. They really just want to know which way to set the slider so they REDUCE PROBABILITY FOR SPIN-OUT during: a. Corner Exits (on-throttle application) and b. Corner Entry (off-throttle coasting)
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Mad LL, moustace, MULTIVITZ

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Umer Ahmad View Post

ACCEL LOCK

DECEL LOCK

In the above examples "SAFETY" means "LESS TURNING ABILITY" (and therefore lower probability of spin-out). "PERFORMANCE" means "MORE TURNING ABILITY" (and increased probability of spin-out
    Thank you. This is the opposite of another popular racing sim in which increasing either accel or decel lock increases what you describe as "safety," and it was driving me crazy. So, thanks!
    The following user likes this Post:

Platform
    PC
    i think this is the best explationation possibile. i went from the fog to the light.

[/QUOTE]

source:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...en-setup-guide
    my english is horrible, sorry! STEAM PROFILE // my DIY RIG // Baseline Wheel FFB Values
    Mainboard: Rampage IV Extreme //Cpu: i7-3930k @4200 //Psu: Corsair RM750i //Ram: 4x Corsair 4GB 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 //Vga: Asus Strix Gtx970
    Wheel: Thrustmaster T300 GTE + Fanatec Clubsport pedals V3 + TH8A (h-shifter) + TH8RS (sequential) + Fanatec Handbrake
    The following 2 users likes this Post: BigDad, Boskapongen

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ledbetter View Post
    Thank you. This is the opposite of another popular racing sim in which increasing either accel or decel lock increases what you describe as "safety," and it was driving me crazy. So, thanks!
    Gt?
    I was on the same boat, i remember high diff lock helping a lot at corner exit especially with pad and digital throttle (shame on me), when i first set 100% diff here the cars started acting like a mad bull at corners...
    The following user likes this Post: Ledbetter

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Umer Ahmad View Post

ACCEL LOCK

DECEL LOCK

In the above examples "SAFETY" means "LESS TURNING ABILITY" (and therefore lower probability of spin-out). "PERFORMANCE" means "MORE TURNING ABILITY" (and increased probability of spin-out)

You "gear heads" car nerds (like me) get too much into the technicals for the layman player. They really just want to know which way to set the slider so they REDUCE PROBABILITY FOR SPIN-OUT during: a. Corner Exits (on-throttle application) and b. Corner Entry (off-throttle coasting)
    Your explanation is INCORRECT. A low "ACCEL LOCK" setting icnreases turning ability, whereas a higher "ACCEL LOCK" setting decreases it. Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about.