Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Limited Slip Differential a bit....

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4

Let's talk about Limited Slip Differential a bit....

Limited Slip Acceleration Lock
    So the onscreen help for Limited Slip Acceleration Lock says 'High settings here give the car better traction coming out of corners but limit your ability to turn.'

Now I've been reading various guides and watching vids to teach myself setups (which is actually proving to be really bloody confusing and contradictary a lot of the time) and this morning I spent a couple of hours playing with the LSA, the result of which was rather unexpected. In short, the opposite of the onscreen help quoted above seems to be true. When setting the LSA very high (say around 95%) I found that coming out of slow corners was really hairy and I had to be very respectful to the throttle in order to ensure I didn't spin it. However, when I then took the LSA down very low, I found that those same corners were much more forgiving on exit and I could be pretty aggresive with the power and get away with it. This was tested with the RUF CTR 3 by the way, in case that's relevant.

Can someone please explain in reasonably plain English why it seems to be backwards like this? There's clearly something I don't understand about how it works and until I do, I'm going to really struggle to understand how to apply it properly to my setups.

Limited Slip Preload
    This one seems more straightforward but I just want to clarify: when I release the brake just before I turn in, it's during that turn in phase when I haven't applied the throttle yet that the LSP determines how the car behaves (along with the front slow rebound and the rear slow bump as the weight shifts off the front of the car)?

As always, thanks for any wisdom. You're a good bunch
    The following 4 users likes this Post: Awong124, lifeofbrian, mister dog, spacepadrille

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    im not a setup guy at all & i have also heard "be sure to [raise/lower] LSD to loosen up the cars"...usually lower, & thats what ive been doing, but i do remember one person who was sure they should be raised.
    Thrustmaster TX/CSR Elites/TH8a Shifter
    980OC/5820k@4.5/8GB DDR4@2400(stock)/WINDOWS 10

Platform
    PC
    I raised the LSD to tame the Lotus 98T a bit...haven't tried a low setting but high seemed to have helped with me..I'll go try the low to see what that gives

EDIT:well I'll be damned,seems you're right,lower does feel more forgiving,thanks mate!
    Last edited by Machinist90; 23-05-2015 at 16:42.

Umer Ahmad
    The following user likes this Post: yusupov

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    so if you want a squirrelier car you raise acceleration diff?
    Thrustmaster TX/CSR Elites/TH8a Shifter
    980OC/5820k@4.5/8GB DDR4@2400(stock)/WINDOWS 10

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Exactly Umer, that first post states the exact opposite of the in-game help text. So which is it?

Platform
    PC
    Im not sure, but I read somewhere that there is a mistake on the onscreen help. Ive experienced the same problem with the z4 gt3.

The sentence would be make more sense this way: (Low settings here give the car better traction coming out of corners but limit your ability to turn)

I think they interchanged something on LSA and LSP, but I am not quite sure^^
    Founder Member of RevolutionSimRacing - RSR Website - pCars2 Thread
    Steam: t0daY - YouTube: t0daYtv
    My Pc: Intel i7 2600, 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM (2x4GB), Gainward Geforce GTX 760, Kingston SSD 240GB, Windows 10
    My Rig: T300 Racing Base, 599XX EVO Wheel (Alcantara Edition), T3PA Pro Pedals (with Conical Rubber Mod) & TH8A Shifter
    The following user likes this Post: yusupov

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by t0daY View Post
    Im not sure, but I read somewhere that there is a mistake on the onscreen help. Ive experienced the same problem with the z4 gt3.

The sentence would be make more sense this way: (Low settings here give the car better traction coming out of corners but limit your ability to turn)

I think they interchanged something on LSA and LSP, but I am not quite sure^^
    That would certainly explain it if that were the case.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit X View Post
    That would certainly explain it if that were the case.
    It is a big IF
    Founder Member of RevolutionSimRacing - RSR Website - pCars2 Thread
    Steam: t0daY - YouTube: t0daYtv
    My Pc: Intel i7 2600, 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM (2x4GB), Gainward Geforce GTX 760, Kingston SSD 240GB, Windows 10
    My Rig: T300 Racing Base, 599XX EVO Wheel (Alcantara Edition), T3PA Pro Pedals (with Conical Rubber Mod) & TH8A Shifter

Platform
    PC
    whatever the case this post totally changed my experience with the Lotus 98 T,cheers