Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Limited Slip Differential a bit....

Hybrid View

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4

Let's talk about Limited Slip Differential a bit....

Limited Slip Acceleration Lock
    So the onscreen help for Limited Slip Acceleration Lock says 'High settings here give the car better traction coming out of corners but limit your ability to turn.'

Now I've been reading various guides and watching vids to teach myself setups (which is actually proving to be really bloody confusing and contradictary a lot of the time) and this morning I spent a couple of hours playing with the LSA, the result of which was rather unexpected. In short, the opposite of the onscreen help quoted above seems to be true. When setting the LSA very high (say around 95%) I found that coming out of slow corners was really hairy and I had to be very respectful to the throttle in order to ensure I didn't spin it. However, when I then took the LSA down very low, I found that those same corners were much more forgiving on exit and I could be pretty aggresive with the power and get away with it. This was tested with the RUF CTR 3 by the way, in case that's relevant.

Can someone please explain in reasonably plain English why it seems to be backwards like this? There's clearly something I don't understand about how it works and until I do, I'm going to really struggle to understand how to apply it properly to my setups.

Limited Slip Preload
    This one seems more straightforward but I just want to clarify: when I release the brake just before I turn in, it's during that turn in phase when I haven't applied the throttle yet that the LSP determines how the car behaves (along with the front slow rebound and the rear slow bump as the weight shifts off the front of the car)?

As always, thanks for any wisdom. You're a good bunch
    The following 4 users likes this Post: Awong124, lifeofbrian, mister dog, spacepadrille

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    im not a setup guy at all & i have also heard "be sure to [raise/lower] LSD to loosen up the cars"...usually lower, & thats what ive been doing, but i do remember one person who was sure they should be raised.
    Thrustmaster TX/CSR Elites/TH8a Shifter
    980OC/5820k@4.5/8GB DDR4@2400(stock)/WINDOWS 10

Platform
    PC
    I raised the LSD to tame the Lotus 98T a bit...haven't tried a low setting but high seemed to have helped with me..I'll go try the low to see what that gives

EDIT:well I'll be damned,seems you're right,lower does feel more forgiving,thanks mate!
    Last edited by Machinist90; 23-05-2015 at 16:42.

Umer Ahmad
    The following user likes this Post: yusupov

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    so if you want a squirrelier car you raise acceleration diff?
    Thrustmaster TX/CSR Elites/TH8a Shifter
    980OC/5820k@4.5/8GB DDR4@2400(stock)/WINDOWS 10

Umer Ahmad
    Quote Originally Posted by yusupov View Post
    so if you want a squirrelier car you raise acceleration diff?
    Yes. That will make it squirrelier on the EXITS

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

Effect of Limited-Slip Diff Lock Under Breaking and Acceleration Expalined Simply

Quote Originally Posted by Umer Ahmad View Post
    Yes. That will make it squirrelier on the EXITS

No. Limited-Slip Acceleration Lock (LSAL), and Limited-Slip Deceleration Lock (LSDL), will lock the drive-axle wheels to the same rotation speed upon acceleration and deceleration respectively. In rear-wheel drive cars: The higher the LSAL/LSDL value, the less slip will be allowed to the rear wheels.

The effect of increased LSAL is the following: During corners, the inner drive-wheel will be forced to rotate at the same speed as the outer drive-wheel. This will increase the cornering radius (under-steer), but will prevent one wheel from turning faster than the other. This will help manage sliding out of corners. When LSAL is reduced, the opposite effect of what was described, will occur.

Things are a bit different with LSDL. Increased LSDL will lock the drive-wheels upon deceleration. This prevents either wheel from turning faster than the other, and causing a turning effect which could make the car spin out. This takes effect in corners as well under engine-breaking, and what happens in corners when the rear wheels are locked has been covered in the LASL section above. Decreasing LSDL will have the opposite effect of what was just described.

So no. Increased LSDL will not make for a more squirrely car.
    Last edited by Urban Chaos 2.0; 15-01-2016 at 16:05. Reason: Trivial Capitalization

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Chaos 2.0 View Post
    No. Limited-Slip Acceleration Lock (LSAL), and Limited-Slip Deceleration Lock (LSDL), will lock the drive-axle wheels to the same rotation speed upon acceleration and deceleration respectively. In rear-wheel drive cars: The higher the LSAL value, the less slip will be allowed to the rear wheels.

The effect of increased LSAL is the following: During corners, the inner drive-wheel will be forced to rotate at the same speed as the outer drive-wheel. This will increase the cornering radius (under-steer), but will prevent one wheel from turning faster than the other. this will help manage sliding out of corners. When LSAL is reduced, the opposite effect of what was described, will occur.
    This is true but too high of a LSAL setting can induce power oversteer, which will indeed make things squirrelly on corner exit.
    97.8% of mass public shootings in the US between 1950 and 2018 occurred in so-called "gun-free zones".
    ASUS GL702VI-MH72 | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition
    Thrustmaster T3PA Pro Pedals with Ricmotech Load Cell Mod | Wheelstand Pro v2
    The following user likes this Post:

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Chaos 2.0 View Post
    No. Limited-Slip Acceleration Lock (LSAL), and Limited-Slip Deceleration Lock (LSDL), will lock the drive-axle wheels to the same rotation speed upon acceleration and deceleration respectively. In rear-wheel drive cars: The higher the LSAL value, the less slip will be allowed to the rear wheels.

The effect of increased LSAL is the following: During corners, the inner drive-wheel will be forced to rotate at the same speed as the outer drive-wheel. This will increase the cornering radius (under-steer), but will prevent one wheel from turning faster than the other. this will help manage sliding out of corners. When LSAL is reduced, the opposite effect of what was described, will occur.

Things are a bit different with LSDL. Increased LSDL will lock the drive-wheels upon deceleration. This prevents either wheel from turning faster than the other, and causing a turning effect which could make the car spin out. This takes effect in corners as well under engine-breaking, and what happens in corners when the rear wheels are locked has been covered in the LASL section above. Decreasing LSDL will have the opposite effect of what was just described.

So no. Increased LSDL will not make for a more squirrely car.
    I think that depends on how loaded is the outside tire. Yes it is making the inside wheel spin at the same speed as the outside, but that means you are transferring torque to that wheel because the natural tendency without LSD is to spin the inside because its unloaded(path of least resistance). If your outside tire is already heavily loaded(mid corner, or bump, or curb) and you apply power, you can actually break traction and cause the back end to come loose.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    @Schnizz58 & RacingManiac:

It all depends on the car's setup and the amount of power delivered. As I intended a simple explanation, I didn't bother to go into LSDL/LSAL counter-measures like sway-bar, suspension, or toe-in adjustments. But feel free to add whatever you'd like.