Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Limited Slip Differential a bit....

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Machinist90 View Post
    whatever the case this post totally changed my experience with the Lotus 98 T,cheers
    This will totally change your experience with the Lotus 98T (if you haven't seen it already).

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit X View Post
    This will totally change your experience with the Lotus 98T (if you haven't seen it already).
    tried that but felt a bit twitchy,i'll try that setup with my own LSD settings to see how that feels,thanks for the suggestion

Platform
    XBOX1
    To go around a corner the outside wheel has to travel further than the inside wheel, that's why we need the differential.
    If you lock the diff accel to 100 it will force the inside wheel and outside wheel to rotate at the same speed, therefore the back will slide out (oversteer).
    This can be balanced on the throttle but is not advised to have 100 setting in a race car. This will also destroy your tyres.
    There is no perfect setting, each person drives different, car is different, corners are different, experimentation is the only answer.
    Experience will give you a ball park figure, eventually.
    "Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died."
    butter is lovely

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Machinist90 View Post
    tried that but felt a bit twitchy,i'll try that setup with my own LSD settings to see how that feels,thanks for the suggestion
    if you look he has accel at 100%, according to this thread 0% (or at least much lower) is a better idea
    Thrustmaster TX/CSR Elites/TH8a Shifter
    980OC/5820k@4.5/8GB DDR4@2400(stock)/WINDOWS 10

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp4mD4gger View Post
    To go around a corner the outside wheel has to travel further than the inside wheel, that's why we need the differential.
    If you lock the diff accel to 100 it will force the inside wheel and outside wheel to rotate at the same speed, therefore the back will slide out (oversteer).
    This can be balanced on the throttle but is not advised to have 100 setting in a race car. This will also destroy your tyres.
    There is no perfect setting, each person drives different, car is different, corners are different, experimentation is the only answer.
    Experience will give you a ball park figure, eventually.
    Wow, what a great, succint explanation. Thank you.

So the LSA % is telling it how much 'wheel matching' to do and depending on how you drive, you might want a lot or you might want a little. Now I think I understand why I don't notice much difference between high and low settings unless I'm really aggressive with the throttle.
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    its a very good explanation but if you lack any common sense like myself youll still be just as confused

does having the wheels match mean faster acceleration out of corners?
    Thrustmaster TX/CSR Elites/TH8a Shifter
    980OC/5820k@4.5/8GB DDR4@2400(stock)/WINDOWS 10

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by yusupov View Post
    its a very good explanation but if you lack any common sense like myself youll still be just as confused

does having the wheels match mean faster acceleration out of corners?
    No. As SP4M said, if they match exactly you're going to lose grip because the left and right wheels travel different distances as you corner, so they need to spin at different rates. You need to experiement with the setting, I don't think there's a golden answer.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by yusupov View Post
    if you look he has accel at 100%, according to this thread 0% (or at least much lower) is a better idea
    I tested it and indeed much much better with 0%,100% felt sluggish and spinouts weren't rare,more loss of power coming out of the turn as well with the wheelspin

Platform
    PC
    So we can conclude the onscreen help is confusing then? It says high settings improve traction whilst you actually have to put the slider down towards 0% to reduce oversteer out of corners due to acceleration.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    It is confusing yes but your synopsis is not correct. It's possible that what you said will sometimes be true but by no means is it a rule of thumb. Depends on the car in question and how heavy your right foot is.