Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Limited Slip Differential a bit....

Platform
    PC
    I always found these explanations felt correct when adjusting....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diff-settings-explained.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	204353

(*Stolen from Another Car game)

So, for example, I like cars to turn in instantly and oversteer a lot, so I generally up the accel and drop the decel...

Go out in the BAC Mono for example and try to do donuts on the spot, the accel diff won't allow it at default settings, you get about halfway round then the diff messes it up for you lol. Coming out of fast bends at full throttle it's like you've got traction control on, you can actually hear the engine change as the diff helps you out of the corner without spinning.
    Last edited by Rift Racer; 25-05-2015 at 00:45.
    System Specs:MSI GTX 980 | i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz | 8 GB DDR3 RAM | 120GB Kingston SSD | Win 10 [x64]
    Display: Oculus Rift DK2 CV1 / 50" LED TV.
    Input: T300 GTE Rim / G27 Pedals + Shifter / VoiceAttack
    The following 5 users likes this Post: Fight-Test, Mattias, OnyxD, Pogi, yusupov

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    thx greengo, reading that combined w/ the info in the thread i feel like i finally have a slight understanding of this
    Thrustmaster TX/CSR Elites/TH8a Shifter
    980OC/5820k@4.5/8GB DDR4@2400(stock)/WINDOWS 10

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    The LSD is a vital part of a race cars performance. Not only does it lock the wheels together, forming a sturdy platform to work from, it has to work in unison with other components.
    Having the preload set right insures it engages at the desired time/load/engine torque on and off throttle. The percentage determines the ferocity of engagement that the preload has thus ajusting the slip. Adjustment increase in either accel or decel will tighten the effect of the other slightly. Not all diffs are the same, even ones that operate the same! if a car has good grip it can run a heavy diff, but just be aware the cars anti lift and anti squat characters can be infienced heavily through diff settings.
    Getting the diff set right is the crowning glory of a setup and often makes or brakes a cars driverbility. The diff keeps the inside wheel turning and the outside one to, depending on its load and dynamic camber, either wheel can influence the cars thrust angle though its tyres slip angle. Examlpe: car needs high rear rebound and consequently the inside rear wheel gets lifted in low speed hard turns. The influence that tyre has on slip is deminished so any toe given to the rear will effect the slip angle of the outer wheel and its eventual direction. Rear toe in helps steady the sway reducing the rear slip angle, applied to positive camber angled rear wheel setup(or a favourable dynamic camber from the inner wheel) it can cause the opposite slip effect under throttle, giving an increase in slip angle leading to oversteer. This is useful for tight turns(and any speed turns!) in wide rear wheeled cars with a correctly set diff. Toe is dynamic on most chassis as cornering load alters and axle position changes, setting toe influences the amount the chassis gives to its wheels.
    Too much diff gives oversteer or torque steer (the body shell twists about the axle!!) Too little lets the wheels break away early on acceleration. Deceleration setup techniques are broad and complex for me to go into tonight maybe another night. Thanks for reading, I hope it helps.
    Last edited by MULTIVITZ; 25-05-2015 at 01:24.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Sorry, you said talk about it a bit....
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by MULTIVITZ View Post
    The LSD is a vital part of a race cars performance. Not only does it lock the wheels together, forming a sturdy platform to work from, it has to work in unison with other components.
    Having the preload set right insures it engages at the desired time/load/engine torque on and off throttle. The percentage determines the ferocity of engagement that the preload has thus ajusting the slip. Adjustment increase in either accel or decel will tighten the effect of the other slightly. Not all diffs are the same, even ones that operate the same! if a car has good grip it can run a heavy diff, but just be aware the cars anti lift and anti squat characters can be infienced heavily through diff settings.
    Getting the diff set right is the crowning glory of a setup and often makes or brakes a cars driverbility. The diff keeps the inside wheel turning and the outside one to, depending on its load and dynamic camber, either wheel can influence the cars thrust angle though its tyres slip angle. Examlpe: car needs high rear rebound and consequently the inside rear wheel gets lifted in low speed hard turns. The influence that tyre has on slip is deminished so any toe given to the rear will effect the slip angle of the outer wheel and its eventual direction. Rear toe in helps steady the sway reducing the rear slip angle, applied to positive camber angled rear wheel setup(or a favourable dynamic camber from the inner wheel) it can cause the opposite slip effect under throttle, giving an increase in slip angle leading to oversteer. This is useful for tight turns(and any speed turns!) in wide rear wheeled cars with a correctly set diff. Toe is dynamic on most chassis as cornering load alters and axle position changes, setting toe influences the amount the chassis gives to its wheels.
    Too much diff gives oversteer or torque steer (the body shell twists about the axle!!) Too little lets the wheels break away early on acceleration. Deceleration setup techniques are broad and complex for me to go into tonight maybe another night. Thanks for reading, I hope it helps.
    Not really, everything you posted has been posted in this thread, kinda waste of time eh?
    "Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died."
    butter is lovely

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    No. Because if you understood it you would be one step closer to a tame Lotus turbo. Like the mint handling one I have. I've posted stuff about bump stops, but I wouldn't want to waste your time repeating stuff you've already covered, eh? If I get time I'll put up a replay of me driving the Lotus on my own, because I haven't heard anyone else launching it through all gears and experiencing the 60 to 120mph in 1 second!! It will get close to 1200bhp if its short shifted and gets a bit of over shoot. If you know what I mean? Nice, eh?
    Last edited by MULTIVITZ; 26-05-2015 at 03:13.
    The following user likes this Post: Bultaco85

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by MULTIVITZ View Post
    No. Because if you understood it you would be one step closer to a tame Lotus turbo. Like the mint handling one I have. I've posted stuff about bump stops, but I wouldn't want to waste your time repeating stuff you've already covered, eh? If I get time I'll put up a replay of me driving the Lotus on my own, because I haven't heard anyone else launching it through all gears and experiencing the 60 to 120mph in 1 second!! It will get close to 1200bhp if its short shifted and gets a bit of over shoot. If you know what I mean? Nice, eh?
    I do agree that the Lotus turbo is a bit of a handful, and short shifting is neccessary in some cases, be rewarding to drive when tuned properly.
    Could well be one of the most technical cars in the game.
    "Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died."
    butter is lovely

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    It took me nearly 3 dozen adjustments of the diff to find the sweet spot in the setup to handle the violent boost. Its on 500nm preload, and needs it lol if the front lifts, its wheelspin time but fairly manageable on low front wing. At the moment its ok on flat tracks, might tune it for the ring, but worried about the plank lol I think the rear bumps are active!

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

Effect of Limited-Slip Diff Lock Under Breaking and Acceleration Expalined Simply

Quote Originally Posted by Umer Ahmad View Post
    Yes. That will make it squirrelier on the EXITS

No. Limited-Slip Acceleration Lock (LSAL), and Limited-Slip Deceleration Lock (LSDL), will lock the drive-axle wheels to the same rotation speed upon acceleration and deceleration respectively. In rear-wheel drive cars: The higher the LSAL/LSDL value, the less slip will be allowed to the rear wheels.

The effect of increased LSAL is the following: During corners, the inner drive-wheel will be forced to rotate at the same speed as the outer drive-wheel. This will increase the cornering radius (under-steer), but will prevent one wheel from turning faster than the other. This will help manage sliding out of corners. When LSAL is reduced, the opposite effect of what was described, will occur.

Things are a bit different with LSDL. Increased LSDL will lock the drive-wheels upon deceleration. This prevents either wheel from turning faster than the other, and causing a turning effect which could make the car spin out. This takes effect in corners as well under engine-breaking, and what happens in corners when the rear wheels are locked has been covered in the LASL section above. Decreasing LSDL will have the opposite effect of what was just described.

So no. Increased LSDL will not make for a more squirrely car.
    Last edited by Urban Chaos 2.0; 15-01-2016 at 16:05. Reason: Trivial Capitalization

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Chaos 2.0 View Post
    No. Limited-Slip Acceleration Lock (LSAL), and Limited-Slip Deceleration Lock (LSDL), will lock the drive-axle wheels to the same rotation speed upon acceleration and deceleration respectively. In rear-wheel drive cars: The higher the LSAL value, the less slip will be allowed to the rear wheels.

The effect of increased LSAL is the following: During corners, the inner drive-wheel will be forced to rotate at the same speed as the outer drive-wheel. This will increase the cornering radius (under-steer), but will prevent one wheel from turning faster than the other. this will help manage sliding out of corners. When LSAL is reduced, the opposite effect of what was described, will occur.
    This is true but too high of a LSAL setting can induce power oversteer, which will indeed make things squirrelly on corner exit.
    97.8% of mass public shootings in the US between 1950 and 2018 occurred in so-called "gun-free zones".
    ASUS GL702VI-MH72 | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition
    Thrustmaster T3PA Pro Pedals with Ricmotech Load Cell Mod | Wheelstand Pro v2
    The following user likes this Post: