Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why am I always slower on the straighaways???

Platform
    PS4

Why am I always slower on the straighaways???

Ok this is driving me nuts. No matter if it's on multiplayer or single player I always get caught on the straighaways by the other drivers! Idk why at all and it doesn't matter what car I'm using it always happens. I'll do fine to keep them behind me in turns and chicanes until of course the straight comes and I get beat. Idk if there's a setting I can tweak to help my speed on the straight or not and I'm making sure that I'm not shifting too late or early so it's not that either. Anyone else have this problem?
    The following user likes this Post:

It may be that you're braking too deep into the corners and so not getting back on the gas early enough. This seems likely if your are keeping ahead easily enough into the corners. Try braking a little earlier so that you are coasting and ready to get on the power earlier in the corner.

"Slow in fast out" as they say.

Also look up some youtube guides for racing, i.e. Jackie Stewart etc.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: cudirage13, JayChristmas

Platform
    PS4
    Sounds like you could be giving your rivals the slip. Slipstream works really nicely on this game. Though great advice anyway by the above post. I usually try to make my pace from entry or exiting (as described^) Where the longer straight is, thats usually the favoured line. Sometimes a sacrifice of speed along a short route before a long straight will allow your car to be in a much better position for entry to that straight, and therefore your overall lap should be better compared with if you drove flat out on the short route (before a long straight section)

Other things could be controller/wheel setting. Or maybe you have to much down force on ur car or maybe the car is too low. My friend it could be many different things, I'd calibration of controls if needed, then basic car setup and if you're still slow and certain it isn't your own reaction times try posting a video of whats happening
    The following user likes this Post: MULTIVITZ

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    Good advice, IMO you probably have the driving theory down tho, its most likely the fact you drive with assists that bog your engine when you say go, abs that increase stopping distance making it take longer to get thru and out of the corner and get going again. Just please tell me you don't use automatic ;p

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    You may need to lower your diff accel setting a bit and move the weight bias rearward.

Also, getting on the throttle as early as possible makes a big difference on corners leading to straights. You know you are on the right track when you jump on the gas on corner exit and the car pulls to the outside and the outer wheels just touch the rumble strip or edge of the track.
    Fanatec GT3 RS VS + CSR pedals, console peasant race.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    There are a few things to try which could be causing this but first off have you adjusted any of your car settings? There are a number of things that could be causing your lack of speed. If you have increased the aero for better downforce this will increase drag and therefore decrease your acceleration and top speed. Also gearing, if you have decreased your final drive for improved acceleration this will limit top speed and like wise if you have increased final drive for better top speed you acceleration out of the corner will suffer. In terms of driving technique slip stream is quite effective so you need to break this slip stream as much as possible as weaving around is not good form online in particular. If I'm being chased down by someone as soon as I exit a corner I go far off the racing line (and stay there) so there is a delay in the car behind latching onto my slipstream. I'm sure there are loads of other settings which will have an effect on this but these are the most basic things to look at. Hope tis helps.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Use the telemetry screen to check that you are getting 100% throttle opening with the pedal fully depressed. If not you probably need to calibrate your pedals.
    The following user likes this Post: tmitch45

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    I had this same issue.....I simply adjusted the drag in tuning for a bit more speed, and less cornering, and that helped tremendously. I was using an Audi, so I wasn't so concerned about my cornering.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    It may also be to some advanced technics. For example with the default setting the Pagani Zonda tends to slightly oversteer if you press the brakes lightly while cornering. This helps the car to point the front in the right direction faster allowing you to hit the gas a bit before meaning that you end up exiting the corner faster at a higher speed which translates into higher straight speed.

The same is true on very slow 1st gear corners where if you accelerate just enough to make the tyres slip and slide the back a bit it helps turn the front.

Platform
    PS4
    Thank you all for the great advice and I will try all your tips later today. In terms of what car I like to drive online most and the tuning setup I have this:
    McLaren 12C GT3

Front Left Tire Pressure: 1.80
    Front Right Tire Pressure: 1.80
    Rear Left Tire Pressure: 1.80
    Rear Right Tire Pressure: 1.80
    Brake Pressure: 100%
    Brake Balance: 50%
    Brake Duct: 50%
    Traction Control Slip: 1%
    Front Downforce: 0.0
    Rear Downforce: 3.0
    Longitudinal Weight Bias: 53.3%
    Front Left Ride Height: 70mm
    Front Right Ride Height: 70mm
    Rear Left Ride Height: 66mm
    Front Left/Right Springs: 210N/mm
    Rear Left/Right Springs: 262N/mm
    Front Sway Bar: 70N/mm
    Rear Sway Bar: 46N/mm
    Limited Slip Acceleration Lock: 50%
    Limited Slip Deceleration Lock: 50%
    Limited Slip Preload: 100N-mm
    Radiator: 100%
    Brake Mapping: 4
    Restrictor: 34.1mm

All other settings are untouched and default.