Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: will microsoft put dedicated servers on

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

will microsoft put dedicated servers on

if not will sms do it if they can other wise you will never get have a clean room over 8 people { lag free }
    this needs to be done before any more content or who will bye it just the people who play single player
    The following user likes this Post: robnroll88

Platform
    XBOX1
    I think you under estimate the amount of work that has to go into building dedicated server programs. It's not an easy task to do, as far as I'm aware this is more of a P2P bandwidth issue, when the game assigns a host with poor upload to host the race.

I believe that SMS have stated they are working on it with Bandai USA as the majority of issues seem to be from the USA, however they acknowledge it's across all territories.

WMD Member
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryer View Post
    I think you under estimate the amount of work that has to go into building dedicated server programs. It's not an easy task to do, as far as I'm aware this is more of a P2P bandwidth issue, when the game assigns a host with poor upload to host the race.

I believe that SMS have stated they are working on it with Bandai USA as the majority of issues seem to be from the USA, however they acknowledge it's across all territories.
    Maybe you are right. I have a very good connection whenever i host i never experience any issues. Fyi my upload speed is 12 Megabit
    Last edited by Outlaw Peet; 27-05-2015 at 05:09.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Servers are important, however, when you have Internet connections from all over the world it really is a modern miracle we've got such good participation in the first place. Dedicated servers cannot account for each of our individual connections, and the possibility of lag from Point A to Point B.

Even whatever your Internet Service Provider (ISP) has sold you as "speed" is only guaranteed for 80% of what they've quoted - and that is from your own networking hardware (modem, router or gateway device) through your wall connection to their closest Central Office boards.

Beyond that, even the major ISPs cannot predict or guarantee anything because our connections go through DNS servers, transfer among backbone centers, etc. before routing to wherever the game servers exist.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    yes but what I mean is someone trying to host 16 players with a 2meg connection

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowowl View Post
    Servers are important, however, when you have Internet connections from all over the world it really is a modern miracle we've got such good participation in the first place. Dedicated servers cannot account for each of our individual connections, and the possibility of lag from Point A to Point B.

Even whatever your Internet Service Provider (ISP) has sold you as "speed" is only guaranteed for 80% of what they've quoted - and that is from your own networking hardware (modem, router or gateway device) through your wall connection to their closest Central Office boards.

Beyond that, even the major ISPs cannot predict or guarantee anything because our connections go through DNS servers, transfer among backbone centers, etc. before routing to wherever the game servers exist.
    This is something that Xbox Live is supposed to ease with the game finding the best host before starting the game.

Quote Originally Posted by titanic tony View Post
    yes but what I mean is someone trying to host 16 players with a 2meg connection
    Yeah, I think the devs have already stated they need to "clean up" the lobbies and netcode a bit on the Xbox One.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    You still are relying on 16 players with likely 16 different Internet Service Providers running different variants of speed and quality of service. It is NOT just the "server" but the methods people use to arrive at the destination. We don't have a direct pipeline for everyone to the meeting place, and never will have unless we're all the in the same room, wired with connections to a single server.

It just isn't going to happen. You're on a PC, I'm on an Xbox One, and architecture is already different. Having 16 people in the same race may be three-quarters running wired to their ISP hardware and the others might be wireless to that connection. Wireless has built-in overhead, and then you get a couple people who are trying to run with a wireless Internet provider (oh, gee, 4G!) or satellite connections where that's all they can obtain, and you've got more lag built in.

Just one person with a high latency or ping rate, or having 18 hops through three different Internet providers (backbones), can through the whole session into chaos with lag.
    Last edited by Snowowl; 26-05-2015 at 20:07.

Platform
    XBOX1
    I personally like having some control over a lobby. Matchmaking lobbies like that of FM5 made playing online not very enjoyable, and lag was just as bad there.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    im sure they could do something upon trying to join if your connection isn't good enough you cant get in
    other games do it

Platform
    XBOX1
    Maybe if they implemented 'rent a server'
    Similar to BF4 System???
    Not sure if people would be willing to pay for such a feature to host. Although if things like connection to a nation eg UK only or US East coast (region based)with sold ping etc were added it might smooth things out a little and let people not to far apart enjoy a better experience and play locally online with randoms......
    Corvette Instagram @widowmaker_z06
    Xbox One gamertag: Xx PartyBoy xxX
    The following user likes this Post: Old skool hemi