Thread: AI, awareness and sensing distance.

Platform
    PS4

AI, awareness and sensing distance.

Just wondered if someone could go into a bit of detail about the AI, their awareness and how large their sensing detection range is, and how they choose which maneuvers to make to avoid others.

It's clear that the AI are "aware", however, to me at least, it seems their sensing detection range is fairly limited, you can see this when driving close to an AI driver, they appear to be unaware of your presence until you get reasonably close, then they seem to take excessive actions (swerving, sometimes onto the grass) to maintain distance from the player, I believe this is also the same for sensing other AI players.

This appears to cause issues, as if the AI we more aware, sooner, then they would be able to plan their actions better and not have to make such sudden corrections, which tend to have a large domino affect down the field and can cause piles up and cars going slower than they need to.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by danowat View Post
    This appears to cause issues, as if the AI we more aware, sooner, then they would be able to plan their actions better and not have to make such sudden corrections, which tend to have a large domino affect down the field and can cause piles up and cars going slower than they need to.
    I don't have the technical details, but I can say the "detection range" (or however it's referred to in the game engine) was higher for a while during development. It caused other issues with the AI behavior so it was lowered to reduce those side effects. I don't recall all of the issues, but I will say what we have today is better because of this adjustment.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips
    The following user likes this Post: Roger Prynne

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
    I don't have the technical details, but I can say the "detection range" (or however it's referred to in the game engine) was higher for a while during development. It caused other issues with the AI behavior so it was lowered to reduce those side effects. I don't recall all of the issues, but I will say what we have today is better because of this adjustment.
    Very interesting, thanks, would be interested to know what issues were caused by the increased sensing distance.

It's great they are situational aware, but I think there is still room for improvement, if not in increasing the sensing distance, maybe reducing the abruptness of movements the AI do.

Platform
    PC
    One issue I do remember was erratic behavior of the AI as it would go into defensive driving before it needed to (due to detecting other cars early). There was quite a bit of straight line weaving and odd corner entry behavior due to the detection ranges.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips
    The following user likes this Post: Roger Prynne