Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Develop Your Skills [Safe is Fast]

Platform
    PS4
    Here is basics of race driving. Okey its iRacing tutorial, but we can adapt it for Project CARS.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5eu...SCkGRRypXovWv6

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by nomen nescio View Post
    There are very sophisticated brake pedals (hardware) available on the market these days and still it is not possible to take full advantage of the race game due to the way the brake pedals are connected to the computer >> USB. There was a huge discussion about brake pedals; load cell, foam mods, hydraulic brake pedals on gtplanet. Whatever system you use, the signal send through the wire to the pc is always the same >> a voltage.
    Unless there is going to be a pc that can "read" a pressure instead of a voltage coming from an USB device, the braking will always be a difficult thing to master, while playing race sims.

I could be wrong though.
    I am a total noob when it comes to simracing, but I know a thing or two about sensors and imbedded hardware, and there is absolutely no problem with sending a brake signal over USB. The signal sent to your computer is a digital value, sent over USB, not a voltage (well, ok... it is a digital signal represented by a voltage, but the digital part is what matters, the voltage is always the same regardless of digital value being sent). If you argument is that the signal sent is just representing the brake position, as opposed to pressure, then all one would need to do is use a pressure sensor in the brake pedals and send that value instead of a position one. Pressure sensors are complicated and expensive compared to a position sensor (usually a simple potentiometer) and would add greatly to the cost. But it is definitely not a limitation of USB, and it wouldn't require any special equipment on the computer side either.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: OnyxD, Schnizz58

Superkart Pilot
    Now that I think about it. It'll be cool to have an in game intro when you first play, online or that comes up every week. Making you play a tutorial like f1 2013 where it instructs you to make valid moves on someone and how and when. This will give a good reference to everyone in game.

Umer Ahmad
    slightly off topic but you can "ask a racing question" to Helmut Marko from the Red Bull team today.

http://safeisfast.com/ask_a_pro/50-h...o#.VX72-vlVhBd

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by RowJimmyRow View Post
    I am a total noob when it comes to simracing, but I know a thing or two about sensors and imbedded hardware, and there is absolutely no problem with sending a brake signal over USB. The signal sent to your computer is a digital value, sent over USB, not a voltage (well, ok... it is a digital signal represented by a voltage, but the digital part is what matters, the voltage is always the same regardless of digital value being sent). If you argument is that the signal sent is just representing the brake position, as opposed to pressure, then all one would need to do is use a pressure sensor in the brake pedals and send that value instead of a position one. Pressure sensors are complicated and expensive compared to a position sensor (usually a simple potentiometer) and would add greatly to the cost. But it is definitely not a limitation of USB, and it wouldn't require any special equipment on the computer side either.
    Your response here was spot on. I wanted to add that I believe some of the higher-end pedal sets do use a load cell to measure pressure applied as opposed to position. (Not sure because I'm pretty new to sim racing also.)

Umer Ahmad
    Good instruction how to run Nords

The following user likes this Post: Alan Dallas

WMD Member
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by RowJimmyRow View Post
    You're right, brake pedals on a sim set can work perfectly well. If you have some form of progressive resistance (rubber/foam) and calibrate it appropriately with the travel of the pedal/resistance/braking value input to the game you can tune the brake pedal to perform well and be consistent with braking at the limit.

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Umer Ahmad View Post
    Good instruction how to run Nords

Excellent find! Nords still intimidates me...
    PS4
    T300 GTE + T3PA + TH8
    Change of underwear
    The following user likes this Post: sailordude9980

Umer Ahmad
    The following user likes this Post: Schnizz58

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Umer Ahmad View Post
    Some good instructional videos here for you guys, especially if you are new to racing sims like Project CARS

https://www.youtube.com/user/SAFEisFAST/videos

lol, some of you guys can start with this one

easy one, take you foot off the accelerator shortly before the corner, let the speed wash off on the aero of the car a little go a little deeper then you would typically and then brake like usual, with that you end up late braking and getting away with it. however if you keep your speed like usual and push it a bit beyond, the chances are your going to go steaming off into the gravel trap or spinning the car midway into the corner.

thats the way i always do it, but it could also be used to double up for liftin and coasting in order to save fuel.
    | MoBo: X79 Extreme6/GB | Socket : i7-3820 @ 3.6GHZ | PSU: Silent Pro 1200W | HDD: 1TB Sata drive | GFX: EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 4GB | Mem: 16GB Corsair DDR3 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit | BenQ Senseye 22" 2ms | Drivers all up to date | Net Connection based on BT line reliability (For what little thats worth!) |