Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WHY PCARS WORKS WITH TH8A THURSMASTER SHIFTER LIKE A SECUENTIAL SHIFTER BUT NOT IN H.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Ringley View Post
    We're looking at changing the design for using H-shifters on a sequential gearbox car. Sequentials don't allow skipping gears, so if you are in 2nd and select 5th on the H shifter it will think 'you want a higher gear, but I can only get to 3rd from here' and make that one shift. Plan is to make it all automatic so if in 2nd and you target 5th gear, it will automatically shift up through the gears to 5th at a reasonable speed...maybe 300ms per shift so that there would still be an advantage in using the right controls for the car you are in.
    Sounds like a good idea, but I kind of like how it is now.
    Can it be an optional setting to allow for this?

As for this thread... in a car with an H-shifter my TH8A does work like an H-shifter.
    And in sequential cars it works as a sequential shifter (have to change gears in order.)
    I prefer to just go for the paddles if the car uses a sequential shifter.
    So there are actually no problems for me with the TH8A.
    System: Win 10 x64, i5 3570K @4.2GHz, Asus P8Z77-V Pro, 16GB DDR3 ram, MSI GTX 970 4GB Gaming edition, HTC Vive, T500rs with GTE wheel + Ferrari F1 wheel + TH8A shifter + playseat
    Settings: All on lowest in hardware except Texture stuff on max.
    Launch options: -dx11mt -pthreads 4 -skipcrowds -vrnomirror

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    Sounds like a good idea, but I kind of like how it is now.
    Can it be an optional setting to allow for this?

As for this thread... in a car with an H-shifter my TH8A does work like an H-shifter.
    And in sequential cars it works as a sequential shifter (have to change gears in order.)
    I prefer to just go for the paddles if the car uses a sequential shifter.
    So there are actually no problems for me with the TH8A.
    you are forgetting that the OP has stated that it still doesn't work for him in the H-pattern shifter cars. it should be, and that's why one buys an H-pattern shifter in the first place, I'd imagine

There seems to be a need for a fix AND a new optional setting... just clarifying because that point seems to have been missed.
    CPU I5 4670K 3.4ghz @Stock | EVGA GTX 970 w/ 4GB vram (OC)| Monitor: Asus VG278HE 27" 144hz (pCARS @ 120fps) | RAM 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz | MB Gigabyte Z87 HD3 | HDD Seagate SATA 2TB (pCARS)| O.S. Win 7 64bit on SSD Kingston 128GB | Wheel T300RS w/ CSR-Elite Pedals
    STEAM ID: ex_stream_tuna

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by ex_ View Post
    you are forgetting that the OP has stated that it still doesn't work for him in the H-pattern shifter cars. it should be, and that's why one buys an H-pattern shifter in the first place, I'd imagine

There seems to be a need for a fix AND a new optional setting... just clarifying because that point seems to have been missed.
    I know, that's exactly why I wanted to mention that it does work for me, even though it doesn't for the OP.
    So yes, of course it should also be fixed for those it doesn't work for at all, which I forgot to mention.
    System: Win 10 x64, i5 3570K @4.2GHz, Asus P8Z77-V Pro, 16GB DDR3 ram, MSI GTX 970 4GB Gaming edition, HTC Vive, T500rs with GTE wheel + Ferrari F1 wheel + TH8A shifter + playseat
    Settings: All on lowest in hardware except Texture stuff on max.
    Launch options: -dx11mt -pthreads 4 -skipcrowds -vrnomirror

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Ringley View Post
    We're looking at changing the design for using H-shifters on a sequential gearbox car. Sequentials don't allow skipping gears, so if you are in 2nd and select 5th on the H shifter it will think 'you want a higher gear, but I can only get to 3rd from here' and make that one shift. Plan is to make it all automatic so if in 2nd and you target 5th gear, it will automatically shift up through the gears to 5th at a reasonable speed...maybe 300ms per shift so that there would still be an advantage in using the right controls for the car you are in.
    How would this work when downshifting? What happens if I mis-shift from 5th to 2nd while actually aiming to shift from 5th to 4th? I like the idea, but it seems to me that one needs to be pretty careful to get the little things right using the principle of least surprise...?
    CPU R7 2700X | RAM 32GB DDR4-3000 | GFX 2x Vega 64 AC @ 35" 3440x1440 FreeSync | Controller G27 w/NIXIM mod | FFB INFORMATIVE Gain:100/Volume:30-35/Tone:50-60/FX:0-10 | OS Win10 Pro x64 | UTF-8 characters: ✓ ✔ ✗ ✘ ← ↑ → ↓

"We respond to well constructed criticism, good ideas which are properly described and thought through, and ideas that will benefit the whole community, not a vocal minority.

Do not repeat requests, be patient and polite, and have some confidence in our ongoing desire to improve the game for all users, which we have clearly and ably demonstrated in the past." -- Richard Steer, Slightly Mad Studios

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by ermo View Post
    How would this work when downshifting? What happens if I mis-shift from 5th to 2nd while actually aiming to shift from 5th to 4th? I like the idea, but it seems to me that one needs to be pretty careful to get the little things right using the principle of least surprise...?
    That's a good point I think. If the real car has sequential gearbox and can't drop multiple gears, simulating being able to do that in the game (because the player has chosen an H-shifter) seems somewhat peculiar. I suppose it would have to be simulated using behaviour of another car (e.g. H-shifting in a modern Formula 1 could be based on what happens with an old F1 car that had H-pattern), plus the devs' knowledge generally with H-shifting.

Platform
    PC
    Can't you just the use the h shifter as a sequential when it's appropriate. I tried it last night and it worked fine. Leave it in neutral and move up to go up a gear and down to go down a gear. The TH8a even comes with an alternative sequential cover that only allows you to do that.
    MSI X99 Gaming 7, 16GB Hyper-X XMP Predator EVGA SC ACX 2 980Ti 1252/1446 boost ram 7776Ghz 64deg max, I7 5820K running at 4.6Ghz 60deg max, Corsair RM850, Thrustmaster T500RS and F1/T28 leather rim, Windows 8.1, Rift dk2, gt omega rs6 pro, 1080p triples bezel corrected to 6080*1080, Game settings at max except in-game AA, Nvidia inspector/maxwell AA on/transparency on/32*CSAA/8*SGSS/FXAA on, sim vibe chassis/4*Reckhorn 200s 200 watt Onkyo Amp.