Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: MULTIVITZ - Tuning Thread

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    When exiting a bend in a high powered vehicle, weight needs to be managed onto the rear wheels. As the wieght shifts backwards the engine builds speed and uses its torque to accelerate the vehicle. The engines torque is as is, but the gearbox amplifies this torque, the work it can do is also increased as shaft speeds increase.
    Short shifting is used to control the activation ' speed zone 'of the diffs torque sensitive preload spring. Another method is to alter the final drive ratio, and reset the gear box ratios to suit the engine to the new road speed. This has the effect of changing the torque the diff will see, because of the altered final drive ratio. This is how you tune engine mount flex also.

Adjusting the diff can help lesson the chance of the limited slip differential locking the two back wheels together too soon in a corner and causing control difficulties I'll try to explain. One way to stop premature locking is to let off the gas, another way is to short shift. It works well with the Formula A cars, especially if the car has the diff dialled in to a speed zone that suits the tracks corners/drivers driving style and available road grip/chassis dynamic behaviour/Brake mapping/tyre slip charactor/available camber/aero loads/strength of the components/this isn't an exhaustive list!

The reason these methods works is by reducing the torque to the input shaft of the final drive, allowing easier driver control in the pressure range of the diffs preload by the throttle position. Race engineers have the help of an experienced driver to setup the preload and engagment character, its not hard to learn.
    The preload holds the two wheels together like a dragging brake, if one wheel turns faster relative to the other wheel, then the diff closes locking them together more. How much the locking binds depends on the % of counter preload and preload spring strength available and torque input to the diff from either side of its shafts.Gearbox side and road side.
    All is ok if the rest of the chassis works and is strong enough, but the main benefit of a sorted LSD arrangement is more tyre temperature control, good stability under engine use, manuvourbility, which all can be improved to a point of satisfacion.
    A sorted differencial is the crowning glory of a vehicle setup, it links the engine to the road?

Now I hope that wasn't too complicated, and helped members.
    I like to learn by doing, I haven't done everything so if someone thinks they could add anything relevant, please be my guest.
    Last edited by MULTIVITZ; 11-06-2015 at 01:14.
    The following user likes this Post: Deadzone

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    The lift and squat behaviour of an axle, can be greatly effected by the diff and its settings, not only by the chassis's design and use. This gives another dimension to sort if the tuner wanted to solve poor handling traits.
    Last edited by MULTIVITZ; 30-05-2015 at 20:45. Reason: poor keyboard!

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    I just ran a few laps with this tune, it's nice an stable and still extremely responsive..
    Thanks for taking the time to explain why you are making such changes. I'm learning a lot.

Multiviz, Can I swap you with my in game Pit Engineer.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadzone View Post
    I just ran a few laps with this tune, it's nice an stable and still extremely responsive..
    Thanks for taking the time to explain why you are making such changes. I'm learning a lot.

Multiviz, Can I swap you with my in game Pit Engineer.
    Sorry , but SMS couldn't afford my licencing fees! Lol
    But I'm here as me, I have no position, therefore no real responsibilities. Just a bit of encouragment and direction.

If its stable for you great, but I feel you maybe aren't taking risks with her and pushing where you can, try and get the tyres over 250 degree's and see where she takes ya!
    Dropping into forth whilst flat into Copse as fast as you can, then take her by the scruff of the neck as you gear up some.
    Last edited by MULTIVITZ; 01-06-2015 at 13:42.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    This little series of tracks helps players become more aware of these types of cars. It can be undertaken at any time so I'm not like doing a track a week or something slow like that. Now if you're all sure you've completed a Super kart Championship I will reveal the next track we're taking her to.

Dubia Autodrome GP

Its a new track and the smoothly engineered ashfealt allows one to see and hear the tyres working.
    Please drive the Rig around the track the best you can and observer its weak points. Unfortunately the rig is a bit of a 'tin tray' if you haven't
    noticed already, lets identify the problems then rectify them, as logical as we need. See how many hard laps you can do before the tyres go off! I got them up to 288 degree's front and rear!................tells you something?
    Please look at the telemetry as you drive and remember its behaviour as it will change after the next setup change.
    There will be 4 core adjustments performed to the training Rig to get it driving around well, without fiddling with her, can you suggest them to someone who cares? I'll leave you with that and post a screen shot and in depth reasons for the very necessary small tweaks. Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by MULTIVITZ; 30-05-2015 at 20:32.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    MULTIVITZ - Can you expand on the pre-load? I know how the diff works in accel and decel, and I know what the pre-load does technically but how do you use it to tune a car. I always by default leave it at 0 because if I am coasting I want the car to be able to rotate as easily as possible, but on the other hand there must be a use for it otherwise it wouldn't even be an option.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by donpost View Post
    MULTIVITZ - Can you expand on the pre-load? I know how the diff works in accel and decel, and I know what the pre-load does technically but how do you use it to tune a car. I always by default leave it at 0 because if I am coasting I want the car to be able to rotate as easily as possible, but on the other hand there must be a use for it otherwise it wouldn't even be an option.
    Of coures. Having 0 on the preload is like your mums diff in her car. With your mums car she goes down the shops.
    Where are you going?

Preload is the force that the diff locks with. A weak spring will close the diff if the wheels get to a different speed. But not as strongly as a higher preload. Big tyres big grip can overide a too weak a preload. Preload also effects the speed and frequency the diff has. There are a few types of diffs. This game represents them all nicely. Tonight I will demonstrate tuning the diff on the Rig. You might wanna go to bed!
    I mean its late, and I may get carried away!
    Last edited by MULTIVITZ; 31-05-2015 at 00:44.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Ok. What did the shake down reveal? I hope your paying attention at the back!
    Theres no wrong or right, just what you saw. I hope you drove her really gently after the first turn!
    Then gradually learned the track markers and apex points. As you get to grips push a bit harder listening to the engine tone. After a while you'll do something naughty, I do! Shes begging for it. Can you observe the HUD when you get a moment, no not the motec crap! Everything.

Poor turn in at low speeds.
    When pushed she bit back, especially on fast exits.
    Turning in was difficult, especially after a high speed aproach!
    After a while, even with hot tyres, even in high gear exits, she'll shake her ass.

Are you talking about your girl friend again?
    We got to sort this out, and I Don't want any fannying around!
    I hope you didn't fiddle with her settings. What else did you see?

The tyre slip angle vectors kept waving around, down the flat straights, from the force direction vectors.
    Wheels lifting you think and whys that? I couldn't see any wheels lifted, Oi! Bring them wheels back!
    If it aint nailed down......
    You think the front anti roll bar is too stiff for this track?
    And the brakes are sh@t.
    Sorry?! You wore the brakes out and you'd like ABS!! No No No don't you swear at me, please we'll get it better but I'm not doing your brakes, I got them to 1300degree's out in the desert. Nothing wrong with them yet.
    Why change the ARB setting, I thought the steering was good, transferes its weight ok

So it could be the diff causing all this? Wrong.
    Listen carefully to the front tyres, you go up some cambered section and the front right squeeks.
    And if you drive it about like you're on safari it gets cold, uncontrollably cold. Oh dear, put ya gloves on and come with me.
    Look the things a tin tray and the front tyre collapes cause of the front ani roll bar being like a girder!
    Lets do the tyre pressurs first its the fastest,easiest, way the pro's use. Always check your rubber first!!
    Is that better? Not bad but you can't turn in, you want more weight transfer? I'll give you weight transfer.
    Its undrivable! Lets do the diff, its not bad, reduce the decel to make the back end swing out more if the slip angles will let it. Keeps spinning out. And it span out on a slight curve in the road! Sounds like your viscous couplings a bit high! It still keeps spinning out, spins well early, it maybe the high preload I gave it. Whats it like going into a corner? Not bad but could be better, you drove better. Better than your mums.

Ok the caster is set for the high speed flicking around Silverstone, lets lower that one click.
    Magic! But it still spins out and you're going to hit me if I don't lower the front ARB stiffness!!
    Its a tin tray and so stiff, when pushed the rear lightens a wheel over transitions in the road.
    So if we soften the front ARB it would make it worse, you like playing with spinning tops!
    An over stiff rear ARB lightens a rear wheel in cornering, lets soften it to increase rear end complience, but what about the magic turn in! Oh!
    The ARB is a spring and becaise it connects to both wheels, has a damping factor as well, so lets increase the rebound to compensate, it should be good. Did you turn the diff right up?
    You can't do that.....watch me.
    Oh thats much better. It's going like an old scrubber down the main straight. Let's take some toe off and increase the camber for edge temperatures sake.
    Whats she stopping like now, give us some laps then?
    Last edited by MULTIVITZ; 31-05-2015 at 00:55.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by MULTIVITZ View Post
    Having 0 on the preload is like your mums diff in her car. With your mums car she goes down the shops.
    Where are you going?

Preload is the force that the diff locks with. A weak spring will close the diff if the wheels get to a different speed. But not as strongly as a higher preload. Big tyres big grip can overide a too weak a preload. Preload also effects the speed and frequency the diff has. There are a few types of diffs. This game represents them all nicely. Tonight I will demonstrate tuning the diff on the Rig. You might wanna go to bed!
    When big grip tyres override a weak preload, couldn't you just increase the accel and decel settings individually and get the same effect as increasing the preload - or is there a difference?

Superkart Pilot
    Tyre temp?