Thread: 125cc Kart Handling Issues

Rookie
    Platform
    PC

125cc Kart Handling Issues

I'm finding a consistent issue when driving the 125cc karts. When entering into a medium corner at mid-to-high speeds (e.g. Turn 1 @ Greenwood) the kart instantly snaps into an under-steer, regardless of the amount of input given from the Xbox controller. I'm using "Real" assist for a Simulation experience, yet this happens on numerous karting tracks each and every time I enter these corners. Even when I try to brake early, there is a noticeable snap into an under-steer, which of course oftentimes finds me loosing positions. I'm having to modify my racing lines for the tracks just to compensate for these faulty physics areas on these tracks. It's almost like the game is reading the kart catching air and landing into an under-steer going into these corners.

Is there a setting that I'm missing that will stop this from happening? I've tried turning on the Traction Assist, which allows the kart to grip after these under-steer snaps, but the game simply doesn't feel right with the assist activated - I want to play the game as a Simulation experience.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I think you are talking about over steer. Under steer is when the front wheels loose traction and you plow through the corner. Oversteer is where the back end comes out from under you.

I would suggest that you go into your tune for the kart and move the steering ratio slider to the right to increase range of motion on the steering.
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Ram:16gb DDR4 OS:Win10x64 Pro GPU:GTX 1050 Ti SSD: Samsung 960 Evo M2 HDD: WD Black 1TB
    Wheel: CSR Elite w Clubsport Pedals: Driver: 2.05 FW: 757

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    It's understeer and this situation doesn't react in a way that's realistic. The AI are smoothly speeding through the corners, yet my kart snaps erratically.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    any chance of a video,
    CPU: i7 4770K @ 5ghz RAM: 64gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2400mhz Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme GPU: Power Color HD7990 Devil XIII PSU: Enermax 1300watt Monitors: 3X 24" screens OS:Windows 8.1 64bit Wheel: G27

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    125cc kart does tend to understeer by default. What improved things massively for me was the Longitudinal Weight Bias setting on the Aerodynamics and Chassis tuning page. Move it forward and the understeer goes away. It turns much better. That setting only needs adjusting a bit though as too much and the rear ends up wanting to get to the corner before the front.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    karting is sensitive yes u can kick its ass lots, but turning can be volatile.. try not to rush !!
    id say your entry speed, brake bias/pressure, amount of brake or revs, bumps in road, are all related to the issue.. as well as some set up sections.. oh and karts need to avoid 99% of kerbs... and its rare u can floor it during a bend.. hover the throttle turning, if entry speed is good, they wont get too far ahead if at all..
    just like u drive a car.. if u do
    line up for bend, ease off, dab brakes, turn wheel, slight easy revs to 'drive' round, slowly build them up if its longer bend, then floor it on or very near the straight when u can line your wheel up to the straight coming out of the bend.., unless ofc its wide bend
    some cars with most bends need treating like glass.. gentle steering, gentle revs.. feed it around, keep revs somewhere between 1/3 & 2/3 and u should be ok.

u say u use a paddle? if it has no touch sensitive button, then try to use the analogue stick for the bends u struggle on.. half way or less at 1st, then gently raise it til u feel it spin..
    or scrap all that + just keep tapping the revs, dont hold them down.. a second on, half second off, second on etc.. etc.. you'll hear the engine and know when revs dropped too much or are getting to that point that makes u spin..

sometimes before the bend, after downgearing, a quick rev will drive it around the corner on its own, or almost, and certainly to a point where u can apply some revs again..
    you could also try short shifting gears at that point.. be in the next higher gear than normal on that bend, but again, sometimes its just about holding the revs at half way for a few secs as u drive around.. dont worry about AI passing u, they are slow on most bends and prob purposefully fool u into flooring it on that bend to make u spin out.. drive to what your car can do, not theirs.. you will catch them on other bends..

try to find out if it happens as u rev, brake or coast.. that way you can determine a smaller area to fix..(although karts have a limited set ups) and ofc, forgetting 1st lap cold tyres xD
    and finally, seems weird, but gears can help out too.. diff range can bring u into/out of corners more stable.. it just suits the track sometimes.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Mancunain; 01-06-2015 at 12:37.
    AMD FX 6300 3.5g Black Edition / GTX 1060 6Gb / DDR3 16g@1333MHz / Win 10 / Logitech DF Pro

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapshot82 View Post
    It's understeer and this situation doesn't react in a way that's realistic. The AI are smoothly speeding through the corners, yet my kart snaps erratically.
    So if you truly are talking about understeer then I can not figure out what you mean by "snaps" as when a car has heavy understeer it does not do anything really it simply does not turn and you run off track,
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Ram:16gb DDR4 OS:Win10x64 Pro GPU:GTX 1050 Ti SSD: Samsung 960 Evo M2 HDD: WD Black 1TB
    Wheel: CSR Elite w Clubsport Pedals: Driver: 2.05 FW: 757

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by HBR-Roadhog View Post
    So if you truly are talking about understeer then I can not figure out what you mean by "snaps" as when a car has heavy understeer it does not do anything really it simply does not turn and you run off track,
    The reason that I use the word "snap" is because that is what it looks like when this occurs. These occurrences are track and corner specific with the most problematic track being Chesterfield. Going into the first 180 degree left turn and then going into second 180 turn after the back straightaway. Running race speed with the AI, regardless of an inside or outside line, the instant I touch the analog stick to go into the turn (even if I barely press it), the back of my kart kicks out instantly, then quickly grips to initiate an understeer skid through the inside corner of the turn - loosing much speed in the process. The only way that I've found to stop this from happening is to run significantly below race speed than the AI, which usually results in me getting pegged from behind by the AI.

What I should have elaborated on earlier is that my kart performs great outside these handful of problematic corners. I'm pushing the all the other corners hard, no issues with using the curbs or allowing my rear tires to slip into intentional oversteer situations - I prefer settings a bit on the loose side. Then there are these handful of corners where it's like the physics go a bit crazy. It's almost like it is an assist going haywire, but it does it regardless of the assist being turned on or off.

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    @Luke I've not tried to mess with that setting - I'll give that a try. Thanks!

@Mancunain Thanks for all your feedback! I'm a "Trials" fanatic, so I've go no issue with being able to finely press the analog sticks or triggers.
    The following user likes this Post: Luke Townsend