Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Career mode racing issue (Answered: AI cars runs qualifying laps with FULL fuel)

WMD Member

Career mode racing issue (Answered: AI cars runs qualifying laps with FULL fuel)

Hi, first of all, I'm happy to concede that the issue's I'm experiencing (Which I will advise below) could very well be down to my own bad driving but if so I would certainly welcome any advice on what I'm doing wrong. Also, I'm interested if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

Just to give a background, I've raced through the Clio Cup, the Ginetta Junior and halfway through GT4. The problems I'm about to explain have haunted my through each one. I'm currently running on AI level mostly 70 but now 80. Generally I achieve P1 in all practices and qualifying by roughly 1-2 seconds from second place, occasionally it can be .5 of second but in a 20 car grid the bottom times are quite a bit lower. My problems are totally with racing. When I start the race in pole, I have my car set up with pretty much the minimum amount of fuel for the laps of the race and I'm fine if I stay in front for the whole of the race. However, if I am overtaken due to a mistake or giving someone a line through and respecting their position I can never overtake or catch up to that car again. I take my corners the same as in qualifying and in slow in fast out corners into a straight the car in front just keeps increasing the distance between us despite me taking through a good speed. If I let another pass, the same thing happens I just can't catch up and they increase the gap. Cars behind are on my tail, I know this sounds like I'm going slow (cars behind catch up, cars in front increase distance) but I'm running minimum fuel and hitting my regular qualifying lap times so I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong. I don't get how when I'm front, I can't get the gap the same as when another car is in front despite running fast laps.

I would be grateful for anyone's advice on this or to hear from anyone experiencing the same in career mode?

Many thanks
    Last edited by DozUK; 03-06-2015 at 09:41.

Banned
    Platform
    XBOX1
    I'm having the exact same problems in GT3.

I'm by far the fastest in practice and qualifying, even on 100% AI I can easily achieve P1 by a second or more, but when it comes to the race event itself, despite taking the exact same lines and recording the same times, the AI cars just run away from me as soon as they pass.

I'm worried that it's a framerate issue with main races causing me to be slower than I appear. I'd be happy to listen to alternative explanations, perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but since framerate remains relatively stable throughout practice and qualifying only to take a big nosedive during the opening few laps of any given race, the indications aren't looking good, especially as I'm usually able to catch cars much more easily midway into races when the grid spaces out and framerate improves.
    Last edited by ciderman9000000; 03-06-2015 at 09:07.

WMD Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ciderman9000000 View Post
    I'm having the exact same problems in GT3.

I'm by far the fastest in practice and qualifying, even on 100% AI I can easily achieve P1 by a second or more, but when it comes to the race event itself, despite taking the exact same lines and recording the same times the AI cars just run away from me as soon as they pass.

I'm worried that it's a framerate issue causing me to be slower than I appear.
    Hi, I'm glad you mentioned this. I can accept that I'm not the best driver, but I'm finding it a struggle to accept the gaps presented by cars that overtake. I just can't catch up, I've experimented by letting cars through and racing them but the gap increases and cars are on my back. As mentioned, my lap times are the same as my P1 qualifying times and I'm running minimum fuel. Any overtaking cars fly off and I haven't a prayer of catching them or narrowing the gap.

I'm on PS4 by the way

Platform
    PC
    There are two reasons that explain your issues:

#1 The AI is too slow in qualifying, in racing series that don't allow refueling, because it qualifies with a full tank (known issue).
    #2 Because of #1 the AI is much quicker in the race but is very often too hesitant to overtake the player. That's why you can stay in front for a long time but can't catch up if you've been finally overtaken.
    Main Rig: CPU I7 4790K@Stock | GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | RAM 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 | SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | HDD Seagate SATA 1TB | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Wheel Logitech G27
    Second Rig: CPU Q6600@2,80GHz | GPU Nvidia GTX 460 1GB | RAM 4GB DDR2 800Mhz | MB ASUS P5Q SE2 | HDD WD SATA 320GB | O.S. Win 7 64bit
    STEAM ID: Bealdor

The forum search is a powerful tool, if you know how to use it...

Please check out our Project CARS 2 FAQ and Tips

PCARS 1 Known Issues threads: PC / PS4 / XB1
    The following user likes this Post: KK78

WMD Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bealdor View Post
    There are two reasons that explain your issues:

#1 The AI is too slow in qualifying, in racing series that don't allow refueling, because it qualifies with a full tank (known issue).
    #2 Because of #1 the AI is much quicker in the race but is very often too hesitant to overtake the player. That's why you can stay in front for a long time but can't catch up if you've been finally overtaken.
    Ok, that makes a lot of sense, thanks for explaining. So I'm running qualifying with minimum fuel while the AI is running with full hence I have the advantage. But in the race, the AI runs with low fuel (The same as myself) but will then be much faster as my AI level is set too high for my skill level (This level I set being deceived by the first issue of different fuels, hence me setting to higher level that I can race too). So basically, I need to find the appropriate AI skill level by running qualifying with full fuel and tweaking the AI setting as a result of this to get a more appropriate racing AI level. Obviously while this known issue is still in place my qualifying times will be significantly better than the AI when I use minimum fuel, but the race will be much more realistic.

Is the known issue being resolved, as I'd like to run qualifying with minimum fuel (And be pushed by the AI) but also have a realistic race also?

Thanks for explaining, makes sense of exactly what I'm seeing.
    Last edited by DozUK; 03-06-2015 at 09:19.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by DozUK View Post
    Is the known issue being resolved, as I'd like to run qualifying with minimum fuel and have a realistic race also?
    I don't know how much of a code change this would be but the devs are aware of this issue.
    Main Rig: CPU I7 4790K@Stock | GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | RAM 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 | SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | HDD Seagate SATA 1TB | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Wheel Logitech G27
    Second Rig: CPU Q6600@2,80GHz | GPU Nvidia GTX 460 1GB | RAM 4GB DDR2 800Mhz | MB ASUS P5Q SE2 | HDD WD SATA 320GB | O.S. Win 7 64bit

Banned
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Yeah that seems a reasonable explanation.

So AI are qualifying on a full tank of fuel? Jesus, what an oversight! Will that be fixed in v1.4?

WMD Member
    I don't know how much of a code change this would be but the devs are aware of this issue.
    It's a realistic and important one though isn't it. I can't see anyone in real life running qualifying laps with a full tank of fuel

It completely explains what I'm seeing though, so I can now cater for this and have a much better racing experience so thank you for advising of this issue. I just hope it gets fixed as it's a pretty important one which can certainly screw up your AI skill level if you don't know about it.
    Last edited by DozUK; 03-06-2015 at 09:24.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by ciderman9000000 View Post
    Yeah that seems a reasonable explanation.

So AI are qualifying on a full tank of fuel? Jesus, what an oversight! Will that be fixed in v1.4?
    It's not an oversight, it's very hard to fix from what I've read @WMD. No it won't be fixed in 1.4. It's not in the patch notes.

WMD Member
    It's not an oversight, it's very hard to fix from what I've read @WMD. No it won't be fixed in 1.4. It's not in the patch notes.
    If it's not an oversight, it should certainly be made apparent to people. I've seen a lot of AI cars going too fast threads and this will be the reason why. A lot of people will be setting the AI level based on qualifying performance and these people will be running with low fuel and getting the issues I've described in the actual race.